A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Wondering if Greenthumb was asking about the captive nuts for the extra seatbelt attachment up high in the rear door pillar. Cause I don’t think the rivet nut tool would create a proper anchor for a seatbelt. Would be nice to add a shoulder harness for sure.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wondering if Greenthumb was asking about the captive nuts for the extra seatbelt attachment up high in the rear door pillar. Cause I don’t think the rivet nut tool would create a proper anchor for a seatbelt. Would be nice to add a shoulder harness for sure.

Oh that's possible... but no I would not trust a rivet for that job....

So earlier 521s don't have the seat belt mount up high?

My 72 was set up for a 3 point seatbelt..

• Like 1

I would imagine the 72 has a nut plus a backing plate inside the pillar

Ya the nut is recessed in, I'm sure there's some structural support inside...

I actually need to go buy a couple shoulder bolts or figure something out ... if I just use a bolts that top seat belt mount won't hinge.

• Like 1

SonDat- Bingo! I'm looking to add shoulder belts to my 521. After re-reading my post, I wasn't very clear 

• Like 1

Geez....I used to know this info years ago.  My wife's early 1970 521 has the stamped flat spot for the shoulder harness, but not hole.  It also has the stamping on the door for the lock button, but no hole...door locks with the handle.  By late 1970, they had the hole.  My 1971 has the hole and the threads.  In my Mend project thread, you can see the insides of the B pilar since I sliced it open just so that I could move the mounting point lower on the column.  There's a lot more to the reinforcement inside the pillar than just a plate.  In my NL320 thread, I made a plate and put it up in the pillar.  Drill a large hole for the shoulder bolt and a smaller one below it....that one can be used to secure the plate to the pillar. Plus it will be hidden when the seat belt piece is mounted.  it would take me too long to dig through all the pics.  sorry. lol

• Like 2

Decided to drill the holes to mount the datsun emblem..

The datsun will use the holes and the number plate will use adhesive tape....

20180325_141107.jpg

Used this to get the spacing even on both sides....

20180325_142528.jpg

20180325_143012.jpg

So what's the deal with the clips?

Right now I drilled the holes just big enough for the emblem pins but not for the clips....

20180325_143922.jpg

Do I drill it just enough for the clips to fit ?

• Like 1

Small pieces of rubber hose works too, as long as it’s a tight fit on the posts.

I'll keep that in mind... right now I have all 6 clips on the emblems so i am hoping I can remove all of them with no issues... but when does that even happen.... I'll probably break the last clip I remove...
  • Like 1

Looking great keep up the good work.  I like your choice of emblems.

These are what I had made for my 520.  They are plastic for now.  When I get back to work I will have some watter jetted out of stainless steel and have them polished.

DSC01407_zpsaf9d2f09.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great keep up the good work. I like your choice of emblems.

These are what I had made for my 520. They are plastic for now. When I get back to work I will have some watter jetted out of stainless steel and have them polished.

DSC01407_zpsaf9d2f09.jpg

I like that.... would love to do the numbers like that. I like it better all cut out..

I didnt like the stock emblems and the ones I saw for sale people wanted way to much money for them. I have one original one i had hidden in the grill...

I got the 2 datsuns emblems for $25, not sure which car they came from but I liked the script....

For now I'm using what a friend printed me for the numbers.... I am gonna flat black the base and semi gloss black just the face of the numbers so it will blend into the fender....

Still not sure if i should paint the datsun emblems or not, to match all the semigloss black trim or leave as is because they do match my rims..

• Like 1