427 Corvette engine in '73 620?.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A stock '73 isn't tested but it has to have all the emissions stuff there. Naturally there are no checks but if you fall afoul of the law they may check and pull you off the road. Unlikely though it may be. It's a federal offense to delete, alter or modify the stock emissions equipment of any year vehicle. They rely on the state to enforce this.... right.

If you replace the engine, by law it has to be the same year identical.... or newer. It has to be inspected by an official that it has all the emissions devices on it, and it is subject to emissions testing for the year of the engine. Again, you can swap and just hope you never get stopped by a pissed off cop. You may be able to bluff that it is indeed a '73 and exempt from emissions testing and hope he doesn't care or know what a V8 sounds like and look under the hood. Roll the dice.

I'd like to here from Californians on this.

There maybe laws on the books but what's enforced, when and how?

As long as I have been reading automotive publications and forums the Californians have been talking about

how they need to build pre 76 cars so they don't have to meet all the requirements.

What's it really like owning and driving a modified pre 76 car vs 76 and later.

I'd like to here from Californians on this.

There maybe laws on the books but what's enforced, when and how?

As long as I have been reading automotive publications and forums the Californians have been talking about

how they need to build pre 76 cars so they don't have to meet all the requirements.

What's it really like owning and driving a modified pre 76 car vs 76 and later.

Great no issues cops to haggle you and you can get around smog laws. Unless datsunmike rats you out.. 1975 and below no issues period, however I am white so that does help. Lol

• Like 2

I read that if you put a 96 engine in a 71 Datsun 521 it has to meet 96 emissions in CA, and it would be in emissions forever.

Again, only if you're retarded to start with, or do something incredibly retarded to get "caught".  It isn't something that law enforcement actively searches for or enforces.

If you're following the letter of the law, you're also not allowed to put on that Weber carb, change from an auto to a 5 speed, etc etc ad nauseam...

Lets see. '73 620 with '07 427 Corvette engine that will never be driven over 55 and never spin the tires???? What's the point? just to get EFI?

I was clear that you will probably get away with it but if you think that they can't pull you off the road permanently, you'd better do some research. The wording of the multiple laws is confusing and the enforcers differ on opinion of how it's applied and enforced. One place tells you one thing and another won't allow it. Even the refs get confused as some things are a judgement call. You can legally do it with the paper work and test every year (or w/e) and have no worries. Better to know what you can do legally and what you can (might) get away with.

• Like 1

An example here may help you guys. My son was pulled over by CHP on interstate 80. He was driving his 71 510 with a VG 33. He was only written up for modified exhaust because it was louder than normal but did have 1 rear muffler like a 71 510 came stock. Got a letter stating case dismissed

Never had any issues with modifying classics. From 51 willys pickup with a 289, 52 mg td with a 260, 39 studebaker on custom frame with fox body mustang drivetrain, my old mans lesalle on a bagged mk8 chassis, or the 70 mgb widebody with tbird turbo drivetrain. Been pulled in more than one of these for doing hooligan shit and cops never even cracked the hood. The mgb is ricockulously loud and routinely spanks euro cars around the county, if there were a car the law was gonna fuck with, that would be it.

In the emissions areas of Oregon you can get away with driving pretty much anything because if you fail you don't pay, and there's no limit to how many times you can go through to pass. If you live outside of those areas you only go to the DMV once every two years with no one ever looking at your car. My neighbor used to have a Toyota truck with no doors, no hood, no tailgate, no back window, and the passenger window was stuck down. He had it registered until it died. That's how little they care what you have going on with your car in Oregon.

California maybe, depends on the mod list. So few, swap totally different engines into their cars here, there is no real law against it. Older cars are much simpler to modify, needing only a gas and an ignition supply. There's no EFI, no engine or transmission emissions management system and no chance of electrical incompatibility.

Again, only if you're retarded to start with, or do something incredibly retarded to get "caught".  It isn't something that law enforcement actively searches for or enforces.

If you're following the letter of the law, you're also not allowed to put on that Weber carb, change from an auto to a 5 speed, etc etc ad nauseam...

Actually, there is an Executive Order that specifically allows the Weber carb to be used in lieu of the stock carb in California. 

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-133-1.pdf

I read somewhere a long time ago that if a vehicle was found to be modified and not in compliance that it could just be crushed, I cannot remember where I read this, but the literature I read I believe was a link on Ratsun.

This subject was talked about on here 4/5/6 years ago, maybe it was the time that the guy put the 73 620 VIN tags on that later model 620, I cannot remember anymore.

They would have serious issues enforcing this type of law, even in California, do you folks have any idea how many american sheet metal vehicles have been drastically modified, there are 10s of millions out there and they are in every state, just go to any hot rod show, very few are original anymore, there is a whole industry dedicated to just this, and it would not surprise me if California wasn't supplying half the aftermarket parts.

California is pretty bad, one of my Friends drives big trucks(Semi's), and they only allow new trucks in their state, he delivers Hydrogen Peroxide to mills down there, and they have to use a certain truck to deliver it, I don't suppose they could do that to passenger vehicles, as the would lose half the states tourist dollars, and even the folks that live there would likely be standing in front of politicians houses with signs saying to impeach them. 

It would not surprise me if California wasn't supplying half the aftermarket parts.

The folks that live there would likely be standing in front of politicians houses with signs saying to impeach them. 

This maybe a factor in the lack of enforcement.

Hot Rods, Street Rods, and automotive aftermarket is a revenue source for the state.

Not that money has anything to do with laws and politics.