320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Amazing truck. You definitely don't see them this clean, ever.

No, we made the stands too. They need to be extra wide so they don't tip over. I guess you could buy some and modify them.

Thanks Stoff for the kind words! I'm on the home stretch I've got door panels and flooring left to cross off the list then she's pretty damn done. 

• Like 2
On 10/15/2020 at 8:31 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Get yourself a $50 needle scaler. They are great for getting into the corners. https://www.amazon.com/Central-Pneumatic-Compact-Needle-Scaler/dp/B004Z3XX1Q

OK, I am quoting you again on this, that is some of the best money I have ever spent, I don't remember what I paid but it was not very much, I could have had the whole bottom of the truck done by now just using that needle scaler, sure that vibrating scraper I bought was nice, but this tool flies thru that undercoating and I don't even press very hard, I was leaning into the scraper and it didn't take it all off like this needle scaler does, it does not work as good on oily undercoating, but the scraper easily does that and it is only oily within 3 inches of the firewall, the rest is dry on the bottom.

• Like 2

I purchased Muscle Maniac's firewall insulation kit and it's very nice. Holes for the clips fit dead nuts and I'm excited for a little noise dampening. I also cut my own kick panels to fit the space nice and sung with noise dampening mats behind. Rubber flooring will happen eventually but all the upholstery shops are backed up couple months out. Strangely enough COVID has been good to them and they're all busier than ever. 

IMG_8968.jpeg

• Like 5

If the panel board has the same surface on both sides and depending on the folding process, the panels can possibly be folded in opposite direction and the insulation pad glued onto the opposite side and you have an opposite product. Truly opposite sheetmetal aircraft parts are made in that way, generally.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, difrangia said:

If the panel board has the same surface on both sides and depending on the folding process, the panels can possibly be folded in opposite direction and the insulation pad glued onto the opposite side and you have an opposite product. Truly opposite sheetmetal aircraft parts are made in that way, generally.

Seems like this should be very possible. Also, heads-up, the factory makes these to order and they take five weeks to ship.

• Like 2

320 truck brother hip2besquare hooked me up with the later style 320 heater and I'm interested in bringing one of them back to life. The one on the right is the one that came out of my 62.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if the on/off knobs are the same?

2. Would anyone be interested in heater boot or heater knob repops?

3. Does anyone have photos of what the stickers on the front looked like?

123024226_3849140428451445_7734174386144737204_o.jpg

• Like 2

Why are you going to do this?

You have to change everything, the heater core outlets or at least one of them is in a different place, You will have to drill at least one new hole in the firewall and you have to redo one of your heater hoses, you have a very early unique Datsun 320, I would not change it unless I had no other choice.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wayno said:

Why are you going to do this?

You have to change everything, the heater core outlets or at least one of them is in a different place, You will have to drill at least one new hole in the firewall and you have to redo one of your heater hoses, you have a very early unique Datsun 320, I would not change it unless I had no other choice.

Oh I'm not changing it--I'm going to restore my early heater. A friend gave me the later heater from a project he's not using it for. I'm just comparing heater boots and knobs in case people need those things reproduced. I confirmed today the early knob fits the later heater so a repop would fit both.

I broke down early heater today and took out the core to have it pressure tested. I'll clean up the sheet metal and repaint, and bench test my motor. I'm also curious to see if the later motor might swap into the earlier heater. 

• Like 2

I pulled apart my early style heater and with some good advice from Steve DeFrange I pulled out my stuck valve. Knob comes off, snap ring comes off, and it taps out from behind through the inlet pipe. I used a rattail file to tap it out. I'm off to the hardware store to replace the two rubber O rings on the part I tapped out. I'll then lube it up with some plumbers grease, put it back together, and have it pressure tested. Fingers crossed no leaks. Up next I've got to bench test the fan motor. 

Oh also, Jake of 320 steering boot fame, is going to sent me a 521 heater knob repop to see if it happens to fit. I've got a good knob but I feel like there's probably 320 folks out there that need a replacement. 

IMG_9012.jpg

• Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, Jakes Makes said:

howdy, Ive been lurking over here and learning a lot about the 320's so im glad to help you folks however I can. Lets 3d print all the things!

On 8/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, difrangia said:

Another good candidate for re-pop printing; transmission inspection hole cover/vent. 

Every 320 ( and some 410/411's & some first year 520's) had one when they left the factory. virtually none do now.

This one is mine and it could be available for reproduction. 

Trany_Vent.jpg

Is this on the Repop radar?

Keith

• Like 2

Decided to finally start restoring the 520 steering wheel I pulled off a truck in the woods in Montana. The 320 wheel I restored had a shelf life of about a year before hairline cracks appeared in some of the repairs. I'm hoping the better plastic on the 520 wheel will make the repairs last longer. 2008702920_520wheel.thumb.jpeg.2e88df582d13de8e674c344f475d0ce5.jpeg

I also started work on 320 heater box stickers. If anyone has good examples please post pics!

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, zed1 said:

What product did you previously used that is now cracking?

Thanks,

Keith

JB Weld Plastic Epoxy. But I don't think it's the epoxy that's cracking, I think it's hairlines appearing where the steering wheel plastic and epoxy come together. 320 steering wheel plastic is remarkably shitty.

• Like 2