New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

Have yours rebuilt. I have a local shop that does nothing but motors, alternators and generators. They rebuilt my Sprite alternator for less than $100, paint and all. Boyle Future Tech in Auburn, CA.

Or, if you must buy a new one, buy from someone like Mini Mania who knows their parts - https://www.minimania.com/SI/SearchText/generator

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone interested in a repop of the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) 320 badge with fresh chrome and fresh enamel. They'll be about $100 a set which includes shipping. It's a very unique piece and the cost is less than paying for new chrome and paint on a factory set of 60HP badges. 

PS stands for PferdStarke which is German for horse power. But I have no idea who did the math that converts 60HP to 55PS. When I use a converter online I get 59.1792 PS. Does anyone know what the deal is?

854015505_55PSBadge.thumb.jpeg.0287c917dc29c14da84be4d4c1fd5f82.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Jake came through with dead-ringer 320 hubcaps in stainless--better than OEM. He sells them raw so you need to polish them up but they're beautiful and they won't pit or rust. Cheaper than what it costs to have a factory set rechromed. 

image.thumb.png.eea9d91087f3a811ff814b37567cfbe2.png

• Like 4

I did another run of 320 heater box stickers. Recreated to factory spec, very nice. This is the last time I'll print them, when they're gone they're gone. $8 per set. Two sets for $10 which includes shipping to US. Add $2 for international shipping.

1077327103_heaterstickermockup.jpg.8226b680421ef9b76ce129f0d9654030.jpg1038013332_heatercover.jpg.a66ac1edee04317d365bd9607dfe6eba.jpg2081217195_heaterstickers.jpg.b328781b7eefd68f34c6cc3a5cd44e0a.jpg

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 2

I got a wild hair to get a factory Nikki carb back in the game so I found a replacement plunger for the accelerator pump, blew it all out with compressed air and carb cleaner, and cut a new top gasket. I'll swap it in and see how it goes tomorrow. Here's the plunger I swapped in:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113598974867

For the record I've been running a J15 carb off eBay and it runs/idles super well. I have the adjustments dialed in and it sounds like a sewing machine. I'm probably stupid for spending so much time on the Nikki and there's about a 70% I'll put the J15 carb back on. 

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

• Like 2

That's good automobile-detective work, Moses. How bout some manufacturer/part number, source info. I always archive info like this in a Word file that I keep for the Datsuns for future use or helping out other old Datsun caretakers.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, difrangia said:

That's good automobile-detective work, Moses. How bout some manufacturer/part number, source info. I always archive info like this in a Word file that I keep for the Datsuns for future use or helping out other old Datsun caretakers.

Quadrajet Accelerator Pump Cup, Double Lip 21/32" Ethanol Resistant

https://quadrajetparts.com/accelerator-pump-double-2132-ethanol-resistant-p-456.html

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

Quadrajet Accelerator Pump Cup, Double Lip 21/32" Ethanol Resistant

https://quadrajetparts.com/accelerator-pump-double-2132-ethanol-resistant-p-456.html

Thanks, Newb, those will be available long after we're all dead and gone !!

That link is for the accelerator cup only. Did you use a new pump rod that the cup mounts on and can you post a part number ?

Great info for all those who want to keep their Datsuns from the 'Nikki Carby Era' going and close to original.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, difrangia said:

Thanks, Newb, those will be available long after we're all dead and gone !!

That link is for the accelerator cup only. Did you use a new pump rod that the cup mounts on and can you post a part number ?

Great info for all those who want to keep their Datsuns from the 'Nikki Carby Era' going and close to original.

I only replaced the cup. I greased it up a little and it slipped right on.

I searched high and low for a pump rod but couldn't find a replacement. On the rod, the size and hole placements for the linkage and spring look unique. I had two carb parts stores looking and they couldn't find anything. I didn't replace the spring above the pump but that's a common piece and the 320 pump comes apart easily with the removal of a pin. 

accelerator pump (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was a leap of faith for sure. There was a point in the project where I was putting real money in a cab off, glass out paint job knowing those wing window rubbers weren't available. Hugest thanks to everyone who pitched in on that project. 

Thinking back, chasing parts and R and D on repops has been part of the joy. This is my latest project and they're going on my truck today. The mysterious 55 Pferdestärke badges available only on Japanese Domestic Market 320s. The math doesn't convert to 60 horsepower and I'm not sure why the Japanese were using a German conversion on a British clone engine. It's a little oddball touch to an oddballl truck. 

IMG_0581.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...