New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check out the spread Jake Makes put together for us! If you've got a 320 you know this stuff has never been available before--please treat yourself! Your 320 will thank you. For more info on purchasing this stuff you can reach Jake at: jakesmakes707@gmail.com 

boots.jpg

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

Charlie thanks for the tailgate and service manual! And helping diagnose my carb. It was super great to meet you and once we get past this covid shit I look forward to going to my first meet.

it was  great to see your 320. the pix i took yesterday of your 320  while me and charlie came down to tucson to deliver the tailgate and book. good work.  i got with sung kang today and sent him the pix 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gene knight said:

it was  great to see your 320. the pix i took yesterday of your 320  while me and charlie came down to tucson to deliver the tailgate and book. good work.  i got with sung kang today and sent him the pix 

Gene it was great to meet you! You and Charlie have so much knowledge I appreciate you spending some time with me. My 320 project is a reflection of everyone who's been willing to help me along the way. 

As for the carb issue I'm buying a factory 320 Nikki carb that's been rebuilt, but not working right, from Ted. It's got new gaskets and and a new accelerator pump and I'm going to try to get it working right and ditch that Chinese POS. 

• Like 3

Geometric photography. At first look, first impression was "Damn, Newb done added what we refer to as a 'Headache Rack' here in Oklahoma. The bike rack in front of the store. Graat endeavor giving this little feller a second life. Kudos.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, difrangia said:

Geometric photography. At first look, first impression was "Damn, Newb done added what we refer to as a 'Headache Rack' here in Oklahoma. The bike rack in front of the store. Graat endeavor giving this little feller a second life. Kudos.

It's funny I love the factory 320 headache racks that made their way to South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. I'd love to put one on my rig. 🙂 

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

It's funny I love the factory 320 headache racks that made their way to South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. I'd love to put one on my rig. 🙂 

I think that for the most part, the little 320's got worked a little harder 'down under' than they did in the US.

Not sayin that they couldn't carry their water; they're tough little customers.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, stevecar said:

How is the visibility with the driver fender mirror? Can you see anything with the passenger mirror?

Same visibility on both mirrors--they are definitely both functional. I keep them adjusted and use them to back out of my narrow driveway and use them in traffic. I got the hole placement measurements from someone in Australia. It's the JDM mirror placement and I'm about to swap in some JDM side badges to match

1154659064_55psbadges.jpg.45fdb4854f1e00ace72005fb72f9980b.jpg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, difrangia said:

I think that for the most part, the little 320's got worked a little harder 'down under' than they did in the US.

Not sayin that they couldn't carry their water; they're tough little customers.

My father in law worked in the Texas oil fields in the 60's and told me how they used Datsuns as go-fer vehicles that never left the property.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Truck stalled today and I couldn't get it to start so I checked the spark plugs and found radiator fluid in them. I did a compression check and couldn't get pressure on cylinders 2 and 3. Pulled the head and found a blown head gasket--the section that connects cylinders 2 and 3.

The gasket had maybe 200 miles on it and the truck never overheated--any idea why it might have blown? Was it just a shitty gasket?

I ordered a new gasket set. Any advice for when I put it back together? I'm running a J15 not the stock E1.

headgasket and cyliners .heic head gasket.heic

This is why I tear down every rebuilt engine I have done before installing.  I check everything and install new gaskets.  This way I know before installing the engine that everything is done correctly.  A shop with a good reputation is a good place to start.  The next thing to ask the shop is have they rebuilt your particular type of engine before?  How many?  Datsuns are a long ways from small and big block Chevys, Fords and Mopars.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

This is why I tear down every rebuilt engine I have done before installing.  I check everything and install new gaskets.  This way I know before installing the engine that everything is done correctly.  A shop with a good reputation is a good place to start.  The next thing to ask the shop is have they rebuilt your particular type of engine before?  How many?  Datsuns are a long ways from small and big block Chevys, Fords and Mopars.

My guess is the shop doesn't have a lot of experience building old Nissan engines. 

What could cause a head gasket to blow out like that? I noticed some knocking maybe a week before it blew. I'm also confused because the break was between cylinders 2 and 3 but there was coolant in all 4 cylinders and exhaust was pressurizing the radiator.

2022600893_headgasketandcyliners.thumb.jpg.08ad8e43186cfab1a930ae18516440b2.jpg

head gasket.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Could have been a defective head gasket if all the surfaces check out to be flat.

Was the engine knocking when the head gasket went?

It's hard to say. But I was messing with the mixture screw on my carb a lot leading up to the gasket fail. I was trying to get a smooth idle. Maybe I had it running too lean which caused the knock and gasket to fail?

I cleaned up my block and noticed some light pitting around what I'm guessing are the water jackets?

• Like 2

Haven't done anything with a Nikki carb, still running a J15 aftermarket carb.

I took the head to a machinist friend today and it's no warped and the tolerances look right. I'm going to replace the headgasket with a higher quality MGA gasket and see what happens. 

• Like 2