diy powder coating

I got a new oven. and i heard you could do powder coating in an oven. so i was going to use my old one to do it in any i cant seam to find the how to on it any one got some leads and if get it down i will be powder coating anything i can put i the oven. and will do it for the fellow rasun world CHEAP:D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My uncle does it this way and actually put two kitchen ovens together w/ a small insulated tunnel for longer pieces like bumpers. He's had some great results. Saddly I don't know the process though!

I do it. You'll need a powdercoating gun...you can get one from harbor freight. I got the chicago electric gun and powders from columbiacoatings.com. My only problems come from cleaning parts and then having them flash rust immediately after, which is a pain. I've used the iron phosphate solution but it still doesn't seem to work perfectly for me. It's really not that hard, just time consuming and obviously you can't fit a lot in a normal oven, especially when you're trying to slide in the racks without stuff swinging around hitting each other or the sides/back of the oven. I use the zinc rich primer on everything to give a durable rust inhibitor.

My uncle does it this way and actually put two kitchen ovens together w/ a small insulated tunnel for longer pieces like bumpers. He's had some great results. Saddly I don't know the process though!

this is getto engineering at its best. what a brilliant solution.

I think in a normal-sized oven you might be able to do everything up to the stock wheels... Sounds like a good idea, but I have no idea how to do it. Is it possible to get powdercoat in a rattle can? I've got a little toaster oven that I've used for softening plastics and glues and whatnot, so if I can get a spray can like that I could powdercoat small bits of trim and all.

I have a small powder coat setup. It is like a gravity fed powder/electric gun.

Works great! Get All the greas and oil off b4 coating. Tape anything you don't want done. Getting it off after it's done is not easy.

Wear rubber gloves. And pay attention while using the gun. I shocked the piss out of myself. Litterly:eek:

I think in a normal-sized oven you might be able to do everything up to the stock wheels... Sounds like a good idea, but I have no idea how to do it. Is it possible to get powdercoat in a rattle can? I've got a little toaster oven that I've used for softening plastics and glues and whatnot, so if I can get a spray can like that I could powdercoat small bits of trim and all.

I have a buddy who works for a shop that makes drop kits for trucks(spindles,springs,shackles,hangers,etc.) and they use some paint thats called hammertone I think. It has a rough look to it but you can paint over dirty parts and it still looks good.Just another option for ya.

I have the HF setup and an oven in the shop. I've done several projects with it. As stated...the prep work is far more difficult and tedious than the actual coating process.

I've glass beaded my stuff and then sprayed it with brake cleaner. Once dry, I shoot the powder and bake it.

There's tons of great info on the web. There's a couple of forums out there. Haven't been to them in probably a year. Eastwood sells a beginners PC book. Ebay has a couple of other books available about it.

As for that home built unit....I think I'd just spend the $59 at HF.

sjeff64 works at sherwin-williams near the airport.....the commercial division....they sell the powders. So far, that's the only place local to portland that sells it over the counter.....other than the 4 colors avail at HF.

someone should do a powder coating thread so that we can get a good idea on the process and results of the work.

Also the good and bad and cost of the process.

freaky510 want have you got done... any pics would be great :cool:

The powder coater guy that did stuff for me for a long time used to bake the parts first to burn off any oil residue, then he shot the powder on.

I just set up an account at the Industrial Sherwin Williams store so I can get the new hot-set-up water based lacquers for my woodworking projects. I'll have to meet sJeff64 next time I go up there.

I did a full kitchen remodel for a customer last year and sold all the appliances on craigslist. I couldn't sell the oven for cheap though and decided to keep it for powder coating. It sat in the shop all year and I never got around to getting all the stuff together. It was a nice Whirlpool Self Cleaning model that was in perfect shape, but it was in my way, so I posted it for free on CL to get it out of the way. Ain't that the way it always works...

Our powder coater sandblasts all of our stuff, and then flashes it with a rosebud before it gets shot. If you've ever run the torch over a table or any item and seen the sparkles shooting away from the flame, that is contaminates being driven away.

Powder covers well and does a good job, but it will show grinder marks and such in the regular finish. For maximum hiding there are wrinkle finish and gold and copper vein processes, they look really good on the right items. We do a shitload of ornamental iron gates and railing, most of it in 40% black.

Here is some info about my process....

Prep work, by far, is the most important process..

If you have any scratches in the metal, they will be shiny scratches when your done..

There are some fillers available, I have tried a few but they all have their own quirks..

Candy coating (2 stage process) is much more difficult... the cheaper gun setups usually do not have enough adjustments to get a even coat on the second stage and they waste quite a bit of powder.

Doing multiple colors requires a partial bake of each color before going to the next color or you will get cross contamination.

Cast parts have a tendency to outgas... rough castings are the worst, there are some powders that are outgas forgiving, but not in many colors.

Gunsmiths use "Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat" flat black spray on that is oven cured. It comes in a spray can!. Also used is "Dura Coat" in a spray can that comes in several colors and doesn't need to be oven cured. Bumpers anyone? Rugged enough to take the beating a firearm gets and in a spray can. Check http://www.midwayusa.com or Brownells [don't have their web site, left something for you] for colors and pricing. The "sand blasting" grit and pressure will control the texture of the finish from semi-gloss to flat, so spray away!

FREAKY 510!!! :fu: i saw this thread and then started thinking... i have alot of shit i want powder coated.... I have an extra oven... Hmm well that was it for me, went to harbor freight and bought there system

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94244

I have a cabinet style sandblaster so started sand blasting this morning and I powder coated a ton of stuff on my jeep! spent all day powder-coating, windshield wiper arms center caps parts of my winch tons of stuff it is AWESOME! i feel very empowered!

In my opinion 60 bucks is a great deal, I had it setup and was using it within 20 minuets and within an hour i had my first "test parts" out of the oven, i played around with it as well. I sandblasted a flat piece of metal then put a nice oily thumb print in the middle over it, sprayed it baked it then after it cooled the thumb print was able to be wiped off pretty easily everything else was on there so i then taped off around it.. in a square and sand blasted it again and then powder coated it again and you cant tell that it was done twice looks great.

I give it a thumbs up and i think everyone should have one i will be using the hell out of it!

• 6 months later...

Posting these just to give other guys some ideas. I've been hanging the parts from strings on the overhead beam....didn't like that much. So, I set it up a bit differently this time...much nicer!!! I could just hang the parts on the rack, but then I have to grind PC off the rack. This way, I PC the part on the tube mounted to the 3step ladder, move it too the rack on the pipes. I can blow off the tube and it's all clean again. The pipes are set so I can grab the rack after the parts are hung and move it to the oven. No powder on the rack to grind off. It's an extra step, but it saves some grief at the end and between parts. My next setup will have a rolling booth to spray the parts in.....one that will have all the powder going out the back door fan instead of over everything!!

100_4103.jpg

100_4104.jpg

100_4105.jpg

100_4106.jpg

100_4107.jpg

100_4110.jpg

100_4111.jpg

100_4112.jpg

100_4114.jpg

100_4115.jpg