Finally back... Dapper Lighting 575

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks we're processing harnesses for those who emailed us.

Also, we have LED upgrades available now. You can convert your unit to LED low beam or high beams. You will need to send back your housings to us or you can swap yourself. It takes less than 5 mins to swap. 

If you're interested, please contact us to get more info.

Thanks!

Is this swap kit on the web site?

• 4 weeks later...

Got my harness, thanks.  

**Nevermind, I played with it some more, the low beams stay on when the high beams are turned on. Guess I need to fix that problem before I move forward. 

Having a bit of trouble and not sure where it's at and don't want to blame Dapper stuff, but figured people in this thread could help. Between BMW ellipsoids, and my 1st gen Dapper lights my headlight wiring has been played with and rewired to upgrade relays, and for all 4 lights to come on when the high beams are turned on.

I've rewired it all for it to work back to stock.  Just the 5 wires going to a relay, low beams work, pull high beams stalk on, low beams turn off and the high beams turn on.  So working properly like stock.  

I've plugged the harness I got from Dapper that plugs into the stock harness and has the two relays.  When I turn on the lights, low beams and high beams turn on, and when I pull the high beams stalk to "turn them on" (they are already on though) all four lights stay on, just the low beams get brighter. 

That's not a problem. it's what the harness is supposed to do... Factory the low beams are dual filament with three wires. When the lows are on just one filament is on. When high beam are on the second filament is turned on with the first staying on and the two wire high beam.

Dappers harness includes a diode to keep this function. When you did the ellipsoids it got rid of the dual filament and turned your lows off when highs are on. To fix that you need to add a diode to keep both on.20161112_012801_zps6zjylni4.jpg

• Like 1

Strange, for some reason I remember lows/highs not working at the same time when they were stock.  Been a few years so my memory could be messed, can barely remember what I did yesterday.  

So then if my wiring is proper, then why when I plug everything up with Dapper's wiring harness, all 4 lights come on, and the high beams never turn off? 

I havnt received my harness yet, so I don't know what it looks like. But, maybe swap the low and high harness. The diode is ment to keep electricity flowing one way only. If backwards, might be powering both.

Ah cool thanks for the idea.  I was wondering about that, I thought diodes flowed a certain way but wasn't sure. I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks man!!!!

I posted the fix when I got my harness...in August or September. Simply remove the diode on the harness to restore normal functionality. These kits are engineered for switched positive thus the diode actually back feeds power to the highs, preventing them from being turned off. I emailed dapper support and they agreed it will hurt nothing. Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

I posted the fix when I got my harness...in August or September. Simply remove the diode on the harness to restore normal functionality. These kits are engineered for switched positive thus the diode actually back feeds power to the highs, preventing them from being turned off. I emailed dapper support and they agreed it will hurt nothing. Hope this helps anyone who needs it.

**** Cut diode out, turn lights on - just low beams, turn on high beams - just high beams.  Flipped diode around, turn on lights - just low beams, turn on high beams - highs come on, lows stay on. 

I was wondering about the diode, so it doesn't really need it? I'll give it a try today. Thanks.

Of course, with all this testing, I think I hurt one of my ballasts for the HIDs,  the light comes on for a tenth of a second, then shuts off.  I've sent an email to Dapper support.

Which, I've had really good luck with so far.  I'm still happy with my dapper products.  Wish they would make some LED tail lights for us. 

I wonder if there could be stock wiring differences between 71 and 72. Mine come on bright for a flash, then take a few seconds to warm up or whatever and then go full bright. I tried all kinds of testing before finding a good schematic and chasing wires to figure it out. If yours works with the diode reversed, I'd say leave it that way. I'm now realizing PO wiring "fixes" over the years might require more than one fix. Mine has a newer style relay wired in, might have something to do with it.

Stock on my 71 turns off the LOW when the HIGHs are on. Only difference I remember is from 69-70. Early cars have the ground ran through the switch, later cars run power through the switch. High beam switch toggles the relay.

All HIDs start with a flash, then dim and warm up. The flash is the ignitor turning them on. How fast that is depends on the quality of the ballasts. OEM ballasts are always going to be better.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ben, I'm still waiting on word regarding the headlight wiring harness. I emailed support, I got one reply, but never heard anything back. I replied again a while back and still nothing.

Can I get the wiring harness that keeps the low beams on with the highs?

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

That's so bizarre. I'm wondering if your messages went into spam on our ticket system. Rather than trying to solve the "where is the ticket issue", could you give us a call: 415-493-8236? They'll take care of it ASAP.

Got this resolved.