Flatcat19 hating on Les Schwab

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Harbor Freight bubble balancer that works great!!!! I used it on my 510, the Subaru and the Truck and it's awesome!!! Get one and stop paying stupid wheel balancing $$$$$$

I only paid the balance cost because I don't like my own works wheel weight selection.

I will not do that again.

I also have burning hate for Firestone.

Being at the dealership, I see every shops faults. You all suck. Firestone being one of the worst.

I used to own a 2001 Nissan Maxima. 3.0/5 speed. Cool car.

I needed tires. Friend of mine just opened a custom wheel/tire shop. More aimed for the dub/donk scene-but a tire hook-up is just that.

Maxima needed tires. 235/45ZR17.

Guy got me 4 new off-brand tires for less than $200.

He did not have his mounting equipment yet but he gave me his Firestone account to get these mounted.

Go to Firestone. Sign in. Blah, blah, blah.

The tech calls me out to the car to show me something.

Get out to my car which is on the rack. Tech shows me the loose front wheel bearing on my car.

At my feet is the impact wrench with a 32mm socket on it. Um...

"Why don't you tighten that back up, stop breaking shit on my car, and I'll just go about my day."

You could see the tech and the writer were defeated/embarrassed.

I just had the car in the air 2 days prior and knew that bearing was tight.

That thing ended up seizing on the freeway a few weeks later.

Fuck you, Firestone.

I love your tires. I hate your service.

There seems to me to be a trend of poor service at almost all tire stores.   At the same time, a lot of new car dealerships are realizing there is a profit to be made in selling tires, and batteries, and are in many cases priced competitively with the tire only stores.

I also noticed that it is getting more difficult to find a tire store that will mount anything other than brand new tire, bought at their store.  I have resorted to using a piece of all thread, and two 2x4 to clamp a wheel to sawhorses, and prying a tires on to rims with a pair of motorcycle tire irons.

My local les schwab doesn't charge me for balancing tires on any of my cars, then again, I've done business with them in the commercial range for over a decade and all my cars have their tires, maybe that's why...

Schwabs has a brand policy. If you buy a brand through them, mount and balance is usually free. 

• Like 1

There seems to me to be a trend of poor service at almost all tire stores. At the same time, a lot of new car dealerships are realizing there is a profit to be made in selling tires, and batteries, and are in many cases priced competitively with the tire only stores.

I also noticed that it is getting more difficult to find a tire store that will mount anything other than brand new tire, bought at their store. I have resorted to using a piece of all thread, and two 2x4 to clamp a wheel to sawhorses, and prying a tires on to rims with a pair of motorcycle tire irons.

There is little to no profit in tires unless you are a Les Schwab, Firestone, Good Year, etc.

The reason for backlash about mounting someone else's product, liability.

As soon as I touch a Toyo tire to fix a nail the liability becomes mine.

If failure happens, its not installer on the line anymore. It's me.

Even if the failure has nothing to do with said repair.

Dealing with the DOT is a bitch. They're mean, and will win every time.

You guys have to understand that these quick lube/tire change places do NOT hire techs to do tires/oil changes......

....that's why cheap.....

.......that's why shit don't get dun right.....

...........cuz they don't know what they're doing.....

• Like 1

You guys have to understand that these quick lube/tire change places do NOT hire techs to do tires/oil changes......

....that's why cheap.....

.......that's why shit don't get dun right.....

...........cuz they don't know what they're doing.....

Very much so.

Our shop just hired 2 guys from Firestone.

What a waste of a shop stall they have all been.

• Like 1

had to google Les Schwab, we don't have 'em here.

my first set of fifteen inch tires for the swastikas on my A10 were Dorals (you thought the only made cigarettes) out of Indonesia that were like $25 a piece in 2010. Some local redneck tire shop had them collecting dust on their racks for a year or two so they cut me a good deal.

I'm running Achilles (yeah, not the best name for a tire) on the swasis at the moment. I bought all four local for like $38 a piece and they have been very decent for the last two years. A sidewall tore out on one and the dealer couldn't get anymore but eBay shipped me one from Florida for like $48.

I run Douglas (Wal-Mart tire) on my Fairlane and they're pretty decent. Sucky thing is though that Wal-Mart will only mount manufacturer spec tires on your rims if the rims are on your car so you have to buy the tires, take the rims off your car, take the rims and tires baaaack to Wal-Mart, have them mounted, load the rims up and take them back home to install them on your car.