hit 100?

tdaaj

how many times does the average ratsun member hit 100mph in their truck a month?

just a curiosity and be honest. my 620 is a work truck. 79 longbed mild l20b with weber 32/36. i cruise at 80 to work and back but rarely get over 95. occasionally will hit that 100 maybe once in a great while.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never had my 620 above 80. for fear of catastrophic failure at those speeds. that would really suck on I-90 or SR520.

ya, i've had my truck in the 80's but thats it.. i was crusing along a big as suburban had my foot prolly 2 inchs from the floor 5500rpms im not sure on the exact speed since my speedo doesnt work, but one time i got pulled over doin 72 in a 55 (an that was on the on ramp) anyway i was only at like 4000,4200 rpms not above 4500 so ya.. i dont know how to do the math on that shit but im assuming i was in the 80's since 3500 is 60 4200ish rpms was 72 soo.. maybe 80-85.. shit man maybe faster.. all i know is going fast in my truck is GOING FAST.. goin 100mph in my car is a cake walk

i've been wondering how fast my 521 will go since i swapped engines. it's got some pep on the freeway so soon i will see what it will do. i took a video the other day on the way out to the junk yard just for fun. 70 mph at 4000 rpm's. mind you i'm running a stock 4 speed with a l16 and w53 head and 32/35 weber with a super tight timing chain. no slack on the slack side, dont even know he got the dang thing on there. i may need to adjust my gas pedal stop bolt.

most people are scared to death to take their 521 l motor past 4000 rpm but mine sounds like it wants to go faster.

i've had it the 80's at around 5000rpm

whats the redline on a l16... 5600 rpm or higher?

rated at 96 hp @ 5600 rpm.

yeah when people see a old ratty 521 flying by all they can say is :eek:

answer---never hit 100 and dont think it could but i wind it up to 80 at least once a month.

i took a video the other day on the way out to the junk yard just for fun. 70 mph at 4000 rpm's.

i've had it the 80's at around 5000rpm

answer---never hit 100 and dont think it could but i wind it up to 80 at least once a month. whats the redline on a l16... 5600 rpm or higher?

rated at 96 hp @ 5600 rpm.

i think the redline on a l16 is like 7000 isnt it?? i know my l20b is like 6500? an from what i hear the l16's rev higher...

ok so i know our engines prolly have totaly different rpms / speeds whatever but from what you said it sounds like my math was pretty accurate..

Yeah...I think the redline is fairly high on these little beasts. When I had my 4 speed (no tach yet...but the motor was really spinnin!:lol:) I would go 75 all the time, 80 pretty often and took it up to (honesty was a requirement right?:rolleyes:) 84 or 85 on I-25 North bound from Co. Springs heading back to Denver one evening. I find it odd that a couple weeks later the old trans froze up in 4th:blink:

Now that I have a 5 speed in it (80's Zcar close ratio) I can safely say that I think I have hit 100. The "think" part comes in because I have yet to replace the speedo drive cog to correct the speedo reading. I still have the blue one in it. I have been able to determine that at midrange speeds, the speedo reads 8-9 mph off (too fast) and I don't know if that carries across the speed range to the top end as well. I was running 195/75/14's on stock rims with stock brakes :eek: and I just wanted to see what she would do with the one piece driveshaft and the 5speed.

The speedo was reading a good bit over 100.

Man was it smooth!

Seriously! It felt so comfortable...motor wasn't screamin', steering wheel felt solid, no shimmy, no shake. I think I could have gone for more.

I will most likely not revisit that area of the speedometer however, as I feel thrilled to just have NOT been pulled over.:D

The one benefit of a 521 that has been lowered a few inches, is that they are really hard to see! Maybe I'll try it again with a new drive gear to correct the speedo. I can tell the cops that I was conducting a scientific experiment for Dr. Ratsun.

Keep the responses comin' man, I know that someone else out there has HONESTLY hit the big 100 in there little truck!

Wheres that red one from the magazine article? How about you heros out there with the big motor swaps and fat...I mean phat...disc brakes?

If the little L16 with some head work, a Weber, a header, new points and a polished valve cover can do it.;)

I hit 100 almost every time I drive my 620. My speedo is off by 20 mph with the t-5, but I was able to wrap the speedo to the m in mph on the bottom. I was at 5200 rpm in 5th I figure maybe 125-130, but I am not really sure. I just know it was way faster than it was ever designed which made me chuckle knowing I created a decent little monster.

ive done 90 mph in my 75, with the 4 speed, when the 5 goes in and i put the hardbody discs up front ill let you know. as for the z car. i do 200kph all the time on the freeway, when its clear and no traffic, and on one special stretch of freeway.

a few years back i would do 100+ going to and coming from san diego, u see out on interstate 8 there is a stretch between san diego and el centro ca. where no cops hang out and at about 1:00 to 3:00 am, they have none in that area, so yea i've taken the triple digit flight a few times..ecspecially when rollin with my mini truck club, to and from shows, :D

Oh yeah, had mine over a 100 quite a few times (fastdadd can attest to this when I was racing the honda accord on the way back from blue lake down I205!) ....come to think of it, the first time I took it over 100 was racing a '92 civic hatcback. That's right, I smoked his ass by 3 car lengths!

She gets a little shaky at about 110, no worries though, you only live once, and I live my life 1/4 mile at a time.:lol:

how many times does the average ratsun member hit 100mph in their truck a month?

just a curiosity and be honest. my 620 is a work truck. 79 longbed mild l20b with weber 32/36. i cruise at 80 to work and back but rarely get over 95. occasionally will hit that 100 maybe once in a great while.

Im wondering if you mean physically going that fast or what the Speedo says. Now Hitting 100 mph sideways is crazy, not recomended for those that dont have extra drawers with them.

Im wondering if you mean physically going that fast or what the Speedo says. Now Hitting 100 mph sideways is crazy, not recomended for those that dont have extra drawers with them.

I don't think he's got a V8, but does 100 sitting still count? :lol:

Don't got the roads to go 100, less you go out to Battleground, then there too curvy. Highest I've gone is 95ish (not sure cause the speedo is off) out to a friends house. Also did 90 MPH down Hwy 14 from Camas untill I-5 following a friend in his 06 'stang. 100, no but close. Those were done with all stock running gear too.

yea theres not many places around here to really get any good speed, sr500 is a no no for sure, 205 is ok sometimes.. but yea theres not many open back roads that i would feel safe going that fast.. i'll stick to hwy 14 also because it seems to have less cops an traffic, i've done 100+ in my se-r down 14