INSMNCS: John Cain

It's in our nature to explain good and evil concepts as god and devil. In the animal kingdom there is none of this. Lions kill weaker animals, there's no 'evil' in this. Just survival. As just another form of animal, we can't be that much different, well in a survival situation at least. Like shoving someone out of the way to escape a burning building. Our greatest survival strength is grouping together into a tribe. Cooperation to achieve security and food. Strength through unity, the common good. Good supposes it's opposite..bad, or lesser good. Myths arise to explain the concept of both.   

• Like 3
  • Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatcat19

• VFR800

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in our nature to explain good and evil concepts as god and devil. In the animal kingdom there is none of this. Lions kill weaker animals, there's no 'evil' in this. Just survival. As just another form of animal, we can't be that much different, well in a survival situation at least. Like shoving someone out of the way to escape a burning building. Our greatest survival strength is grouping together into a tribe. Cooperation to achieve security and food. Strength through unity, the common good. Good supposes it's opposite..bad, or lesser good. Myths arise to explain the concept of both.

Your right about what it boils down to.

When we got together for common good though and got to a surplus the people controlling supplies developed myths , with the help of the church, giving us an incomplete story (especially with Egypt?) making the Bible a good history book?

maybe no quote just should've said there might be lion aliens, and the pope is a lizard

Animals are not capable of concepts like deceit, selfishness, etc. To insinuate that good and evil don't exist because it doesn't exist for animals is silly. Auschwitz was for a "greater good". Do you truly believe that genocide is just animal nature, not an act of evil? If so, i truly pity you for the world is a much deeper place than you believe.

• Like 2

Animals are not capable of concepts like deceit, selfishness, etc. To insinuate that good and evil don't exist because it doesn't exist for animals is silly. Auschwitz was for a "greater good". Do you truly believe that genocide is just animal nature, not an act of evil? If so, i truly pity you for the world is a much deeper place than you believe.

I don't think anyone is denying good and evil....

Auschwitz was for a "greater good".

Ummm. Nope.

Good and evil are human concepts. Constructs of civilization. Societal standards. They developed in context of herd, pack, society, group, family. Esentially aligned with concepts such as carma or reciprocity. Do something that favors another, they should do something back. You pick ticks off of my back, I'll do the same for you. You take my mate, I'll hit you really hard. Action, reaction. Good earns desirable reaction. God, the devil, heaven, hell, they are real if you empower the idea. For they impact what is real, here, now. Nothing fake about that. But not tangible.

I think there may be a little different between dogs and cats   :rofl:

Genocide is merely your tribe enforcing it's survival by removing an outside threat to your security and food supply. You are using the term as we have seen it used in the recent past history, where the outside threat isn't really that valid. From a survival stand point it can't be called evil. War with all its conventions and 'rules' is a limited form of genocide. 

• Like 1

Right here. Take your politics elsewhere.

This isn't hard. Damn near anything goes.

If we didn't have Cuz I'd understand. But we have a place for that. This place is not it.

Regardless of my stance.

(Your) politics make (other) members uncomfortable.

Those that can/want to discuss those topics can do so, somewhere else.

Insomniacs is the comfortable couch in the garage the garbage man wouldn't pick up and haul away.

• Like 1