I don't work on your car

Anybody else have the problem of friends, relatives, & neighbors thinking you can or want to fix there car because you are always working on your own? Of course they don’t realize how simple our old stuff is to work on.
Instead of telling them I can’t or don’t want to work on thier newer stuff I started telling them “You drive a Microwave, I like fixing up Toasters”

wiringjoke_zpsae09ad53.jpg

VS

datsun_96hp_engine_69_zps55a049e8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait so you wont change my timing belt for a 6 pack of beer?

Nope, last timing belt I did was on a FWD V6. It's not a fond memory.

Back in college I did one on a Pinto in a gas station parking lot and that was simple. I'd do your Pinto (no AC) for pizza and drinks

Here is another thing to add to the list of shit that's strange about me. I am older, so grew up working on carbs, points and every other dinosaur item and I still do, but I don't mind working on new stuff at all. Sometimes it's more work but often I find it to be pretty easy.

what I really don't much care for was when the big 3 were doing everything they could to bandaid and limp a shitty carbed engine through deq. Hoses, vacuum switches, electric carbs, air pumps, etc. Just piles of stuff to try to make a very inefficient combustion process not gag you with exhaust.

lower the compression so it can run more lean, yeah...because fuel acts as some sort of coolent in your fantasy land. Not to mention, many lowered the compression by just putting the piston down in the bore farther, then retard the timing and the cam. The list goes on, but man, what piles of shit.

they have come a very long way, but...not far enough, if they had gotten all that far, my shitty old air cooled vw engine, put together by a dope like me would not be getting close and often times, better mpg that so called economy cars.

FWD V6 timing belt?

Send it my way.

Motor mount bolt broke off in the engine block trying to get it out, had to drill hole in frame structure, buy really long drill bit and drill it out through the wheel well, run a tap on an extension, etc. and the fun just went on and on and on like that. Few months later Daughter totaled it. I bet the old timing belt would have last until it got totaled too.

• Like 1

^^ THAT SUMS IT UP FOR ME!  ^^

My wife and teenage daughter are always TRYING to get me to do work on friends and family's cars. Well they used to. Now my wife knows better on that one after her friend's husband got "help" as in me giving advice and tools and HIM doing the work. Daughter has too after one of her friends came over here with the worst, loudest knock I ever heard in my life. Stupid boy had ran the car for who knows how long with NO oil whatsoever. Advised him to park it and call for a tow truck, engine was done. Didn't listen, added oil to full level, made it about two miles before it locked up. I DO NOT WORK FOR PIZZA AND BEER! NOR DO I WORK FOR FREE! This is the same reason I decided the self employed mobile mechanic deal was a bad idea. People expect a lot for nothing.

Now it's weird shit. Like describing a noise or something it is doing and without even seeing the car I am supposed to know exactly what is wrong with it? Not anything obvious either. I am not a miracle worker.

And I can say it probably sucks having a mechanic for a dad, because I give my daughter hell over her car! (00 Saturn SL1) It has the good old Garbage Motors ignition switch that is screwy, taught her how to deal with that. She changes her own oil. I got her into the habit of checking it once a week because it burns a quart every 1500-2000 miles, checking her tire pressure, she buys the parts it needs, etc. She has learned all about cars since she was little. I don't expect her to be able to rebuild the transmission, but dammit, I don't want her to be stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night, especially when it is something that could have been prevented. Nor do I want her to be one those morons that doesn't even know how to check their own tire pressure or what "that light on the dash" is. It's kind of funny, she tells her boyfriend and other friends what is wrong with their car!

• Like 1

“You drive a Microwave, I like fixing up Toasters”

Funniest Line i have heard i a LONG while! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my friend did the same crap to me. he knows i like fixin cars and such, and that i am into Datsuns, so he got a 98' Maxima and though, just because i like old Nissans, that i am a Master mechanic on ALL Nissans.... you should have seen the engine bay.... looked worse than the Honda at the top.....

• Like 1

I'm new to working on cars but I often times like to help others when they truly need it. Although as soon as some people find out I even have a little bit of knowledge they try to shove their car problems my way. It often depends on the situation, person, car and liability to determine if I will help. In a modern time when 80% of cars on the road run with not enough oil cause people simply don't care I, who barely started working on cars last year gets treated like an expert. Lol. It makes me giggle cause half the tech talk here on Ratsun makes me look dumb. Regardless I take every opportunity that I work on people's cars as an opportunity to learn more and hope to one day get to the level of some of the guys on this forum. I also love saving my family money with basic things and DIY stuff. It also feels good when your older brother and his friends call YOU when something is wrong with their cars  B)

You guys have to admit it's nice when all the bolts come out and there are no surprises such as helicoils with imperial fasteners......  Or no FUCKING way to pull the tranny because the way the exhaust is put on..... it just won't happen.......  You know you own a datsun when, using a welder in things like a clutch job in your mind is normal....   

• Like 1