72 Skyline Yukika

earlyvws

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I came back to work out the shifter. Originally I bought a stainless steel dog bowl for it, but it turned out to be a little small and interfered with reverse. So now it is an aluminum cake pan. Only issue is the shift boot is a little stiff and makes shifting a little more effort.

A94CD832-90FF-41FF-B940-0C1AE31F7592.jpg

07C741BD-6698-4C17-B4C5-2AB7EB9EE081.jpg

Wayno, yes I have a spot welder. If u ever get one/ or replace one buy a miller. I have tested it with 4 sheets of 18 gauge and was no problem. I had a harbour freight one before and it sucked. Most of the time I could pull the metal apart and all the spot welds just popped.

B279E008-C579-49BC-AF71-9AFD7B6CD6F1.jpg

• Like 3

Why are u making it seem that its easier to find skyline parts than 521 parts lol

It sort of is. I found out that a lot of parts are still made or at least were still made recently. I found a guy a Japan yahoo auctions where I got the dash from. I am making a list of brand new items from him and will have a lot more stuff coming soon. The dash pad isn't NOS it is brand new Nissan. I don't what to call that.

• Like 2

:fu: you and your machines and skills..................

......will you marry me??...I'll be good to you!! :wub:

:rofl:  :rofl: 

• Like 5

This console looks pretty super duper. Is that screen for a GPS backup camera?

Does the cake pan solution leave you plenty of "knuckle room" for shifting?

What is the plan for the top, an upholstered lid?

I'm curious to see a pic of the console set in position to see if the rear portion extends back behind the seats, or ends flush with the back of the seats. 

It ends just to the back rest of the front seat so there is still room in the back where I will add cup holders for the rear. The top arm rest will be covered in vinyl.

It's not done cuz I have failed several time figuring out how to cover it and make it look like a quality finished product. I think I finally have the solution that is going to work out really nice. Something I didn't think of when I started. Last night I added these rails that will hopefully achieve what I need. I kept worrying about how the center section was going to meet with the sides and couldn't come up with a satisfactory look to get it done. Now I think I have it.

FFE89FA5-F237-40CA-A06C-DE012DAD4DE2.jpg

06CD5F2C-F119-45C9-BFDA-9C0385886CE8.jpg

Cake pan is perfect, but I'm going to have to make a shift boot cuz the rubber one is to stiff. It is really hard to get a gear.

If I don't run out of time tonight I should have pics of it covered tonight.

• Like 4

Had a small set back. Was spot welding a plate in and had the piece upside down and didn't realize I spot welded thru the little rails. Had to cut it out and make a new section.

CE291382-A914-4B87-9A91-DD9D575A583F.jpg

Have a couple of boo boos. Fix tomorrow. The metallic vinyl in the center didn't work out as planned. But have a fix in mind that will keep most of it and replace the center between the shifter hole and cup holder holes with some of the black vinyl.

Had 1 small section I cut too short in the rear so will have to glue that piece down.

8BC5DB2A-81F0-45C3-9F19-FEEF6C22080D.jpg

5B9D9591-9398-49FB-BAC9-B1A53AEC2466.jpg

CBB5F681-26EC-4F32-85D4-4C7A5F18673C.jpg

There is still a lot more to do. Add rear cup holders and the arm rest and radio and light and more I forgot.

• Like 5