72 Skyline Yukika

earlyvws

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow been so busy haven't been able to keep up with posting, and even reading. Got a few cars out of the yard, been getting other things done. Wife was on another business trip for a week.

Made some deals have another interesting something coming, all I'll say is series 1. You figure the rest.

Getting ready to order suspension, hopefully be able to install next weekend. Started building the KA24DE for the grey truck.

Striped the paint off the techno phantoms, blah blah blah

Should have some great pics all week this week.

Sooooooooon,,,,,,

• Like 2

And.......

Ordered head light switch for the green truck

And......built a vw motor

And..... Been screwing with my headlight for a week on the Skyline. My dimmer switch died. Actually it died before and some one spliced in another relay but now it's total toast.

If there is any electrical genius out there who can figure how to wire new relays please let me know.

A87EC3F2-504F-4C6A-B741-F761A415F205.png

EF387F19-60DF-4140-B391-4077AFE9DA7F.png

Well I came back to do some work tonight and found these in the warehouse. Didn't know they were here. Usually my parts go to my office.

T3 said about 2 weeks maybe less. So I wasn't even expecting them. I was going to order the other parts this week to finish off all the suspension so everything would come about the same time and spread my cash around a bit.

But these came in 4 days from ordering. A lot faster then maybe less then 2 weeks!

64A6FA7D-1001-4D46-BAEC-58B8F7ACF91E.jpg

• Like 7

Is it just the headlights not working or parking lights too?

I can probably help you out. Only thing I dont understand about the diagram is, why is it called a Dimmer Relay? Is there a Dimmer switch in the car? What is it dimming? Also why in the diagram is there a 3rd coil which seems unnecessary, the Red/Greed to Red, as the Red/Green is battery power, and Red provides power to the passing relay and headlight switch...

Currently Im thinking of replacing the Dimmer Relay with 2 standard Automotive relays (the cube ones).

Definitely an odd setup.

I can probably help you out. Only thing I dont understand about the diagram is, why is it called a Dimmer Relay? Is there a Dimmer switch in the car? What is it dimming? Also why in the diagram is there a 3rd coil which seems unnecessary, the Red/Greed to Red, as the Red/Green is battery power, and Red provides power to the passing relay and headlight switch...

Currently Im thinking of replacing the Dimmer Relay with 2 standard Automotive relays (the cube ones).

Definitely an odd setup.

I forgot about you knowing this upside and all around. Joe this guy is your man make friends with him.

Definitely an odd setup.

It is just the headlights not working and the park lights, but that is minor.

I will take a bunch of pics trying to explain what the switches are doing.

My buddy and I think the diagram if the dimmer is drawn weird and shows 3 coils but may only be 2.

Ok here is how the headlight switch works.

It was not as clear in pics as I thought it would be. So I'll try to explain it. The arm with blue tape rotates. In position 0 everything is off. In position 1 the parking lights are on. In position 2 the headlights on. In pic with my hand I am pulling the arm toward me to turn high beams on.

51A6FB09-19E5-431E-B2EB-B231107B2621.jpg

583ED134-19DC-41FC-B372-4A3E3080F3EB.jpg

56330199-CA08-442A-83DD-29E171EA81D8.jpg

47161714-4AB1-4916-A329-AE75F0EA7467.jpg

Now the other arm is turn signals and passing switch. U pull the arm toward u to flash hi beam momentarily. So it does not leave them on when u let go.

3A51203A-715C-4097-83CF-4C819B1C4B3A.jpg

Now the relay. Here is the pic of the OG relay taken apart. Someone spliced in the modern relay. One coil is missing this is why we think it is really a 2 coil relay and not 3.

298C6CF9-AAC5-4565-9C97-EA950BF18571_1.j

B1B851F1-9A62-4345-A091-695A1FE00145_1.j

A52FBD30-19FB-4248-B714-342D2729B573_1.j

And the connection in engine bay for relay

20AAA05C-DCE9-4365-8B24-4A246C69CF22_1.j

Now at this connection

R/G = hot

R/B = hot

R/W = hot

R = hot

R/Y = not hot

L = not hot

• Like 1

Now the R/Y is hooked up to this switch.

38A30881-9A97-4480-9D8C-FD8A6AE9B855.jpg

These are just when u are parked on the street u turn on one side of lights so people can see the car. I don't care if this function works.

Here is my crude attempt to chart all the wires as to whether they are on or off in different scenarios.

9CEAED2A-01D2-4A68-BDAC-266CD6385621_1.j

73DA630A-F9B6-49BB-B776-4FE9ACC16B0C_1.j

F76C82E9-191F-4044-8421-BA875CE6A4F1_1.j

I don't know why they are upside down, I'll try to fix it later. Gotta get to work right now. Day jobs suck.

• Like 1

Ok that helps a ton. My BMW has the feature for leaving the marker lights on for one side of the car, seems to be a euro thing to do...

From the diagram there are 2 Red/yellows. One at the Parking switch, and the other goes to your light switch. The one at the light switch is supposed to be connected to the wiring at the Dimmer Relay.

Also you mention Red is hot, but the diagram shows no connection to Red except at the relay. But this red should be providing power to your headlight switch (and is Green there...) And then when you turn your headlights on (2), the blue wire should be hot.

At least we know you fusible links are good.

Ill get into how I think it should be wired with modern relays tonight (well late night, I works nights)

Ok, lets get some things straight.

You keep mentioning the "Dimmer Switch." What is this? Do you mean "Dimmer Relay" as per the wiring diagram, or Headlight switch? Im going with Dimmer Relay for now... And why is this not just called the "Headlight Relay"?

And in the last picture you posted, you wrote yourself that their is a Red/Yellow at the Dimmer Relay and it goes to the headlight switch. That is congruent with the wiring diagram, and this wire should ground out when you turn your high beams on. This would be the 3rd instance of a Red/Yellow wire in the car.

Also in the last picture, you wrote that the Red/Blue wire on the passing relay goes to the ign switch Black/Yellow, this is incorrect. Black/Yellow is starter signal. Red/Blue stays Red/Blue and goes to the passing switch, and should be grounded when you pull on the passing switch. I will give you that the Red/Blue wire and the Black/Yellow wire do run next to each other in the wiring diagram.

Finally, you state Red goes to passing relay (correctly), incorrectly states to ign switch (read above). What is really going on here is this: Green wire from 20A fuse at fuseblock goes to Headlight switch and changes colors(?) while going to parking switch and foglight switch. It also turns to Red and goes to the Dimmer Relay and Passing Relay, although I see no reason for Red at the Dimmer Relay... This wire should be Constant 12v.

Everything else looks correct to me...

As far as replacing the Dimmer Relay, here is how I would do it to retain original functionality. Using 2 modern automotive Relays, one 5 pin and one 4 pin.

wp_20150210_02_58_31_pro.jpg

Also, you should have Hot on Green/White(at headlight switch) at your parking lights(Front Green/Blue, Rear Green/White) with the headlight switch on in either position.

Your Foglight switch should turn on both Foglights and Parking lights.

Your parking switch (directional useless one) turns on completely separate bulbs in the front combination lights (and rear).

FYI, I went and downloaded the full res version of the wiring diagram, put it in photoshop and colored the lines to help trace them quickly. Having a large screen to view diagrams really helps as on the phone you loose track of all the little black lines running parallel to each other.

I guess the next step would be to go wire by wire explaining the conditions (hot/ground/when) of each. And also to isolate the wires on the diagram to be able to see it better.

• Like 1

Laecoan

Yes I have been switching terms on you. I have never heard of a dimmer relay. I have heard of dimmer switch and headlight relay. So I've been using words incorrectly by mistake out of habit

I am going to wire this up as soon as I get to the warehouse in about an hour. I am very exicited to try it. Also I made a lot of mistakes that I wrote incorrectly. That was just one page that I found that could show more info. I have sticky notes everywhere. I fired up my ancient computer from 2003 to use illustrator to color the lines,

And wait till I show the wiring diagram I printed.

I appreciate you analysis and time. Reading what you wrote I can tell you know what you are talking about. Thank you very much.

I would just start checking if you have Battery power at the low beams. Then start traacing where you do, and then dont have ground, since this is ground switching.

Also, I just looked at the picture I posted. I forgot to have the blue wire attach to the 85 pin on the second relay. Blue should go to both relays, 85 on both (well 85 and 86 are interchangeable, just need a 12V difference)

And good job printing off that wiring diagram and coloring it! Helps immensely. Now laminate it, and you can use dry erase on it.

Really wiring is pretty simple, its just 12v and ground in these cars. Do you have 12V+? Do you have ground? if not where is the break in the system. You just have to not go crossed eyed. And a multimeter is your friend; really only need the continuity test option and the 20V DC option for a car.

• Like 1

Ok I made an error this morning. I was in a rush and connected R/B to the wrong terminal. Made a jumper for the blue. Have headlights. All of them. I can't thank u enough.

Just a note for anyone who is going to have this problem in the future. I'm listing a bunch of key words here so this page turns up in a search.

Hakosuka dimmer relay

Repair c10 skyline dimmer relay.

How to make headlight relay for c10 skyline.

I think that should cover it.

Just a side note, and it is not bothering me one bit. The parking light feature does not work yet. But I would never use it anyway. And I'm not certain but I think the passing switch worked with headlights off, but now they don't. But I could be wrong that it did do that in the first place. Again not something i would use anyway.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Installed suspension and now found a problem that is going to be hard to solve. Wheel fitment. These slot mag rims are 14x5.5" and fit perfect. They have a 2 1/8" on the front and almost 3 3/4" backspace.

So put the techno phantoms on and as u will see no room under the fender. So I'm trying to think what I can buy off the shelf somewhere but I don't think I can go wider then 6.5" and have the same 2 1/8" on the front. Soooo this is going to be complicated. I really don't like these slot mags.

F70B5543-20E3-443E-ADC3-EB1E3228E71D.jpg

7610A248-26BA-429F-806D-B72E0E365552.jpg

Front

C321400C-81A1-42EE-9290-6F4ACC7CD316.jpg

54005F50-AF96-405A-8209-87369418CF30.jpg

Rear

5558E52A-4606-4260-8209-AE06EE8A25BE.jpg

I was getting ready to paint the rims. Maybe a fender lip roll and stretched tires might fit?

• Like 3