POST CARS YOU CANT STAND

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't understand why anyone would want to modify a disposable car, especially one that is 15-20 years old with high mileage. Or why you want to take the slowest car on earth and make it "fast."

Don't you own a datsun? Although they aren't disposable, they are older and the majority of members on this sight are trying to make them faster.

I do agree that the ricey one are ugly piles of crap but, they are fun to drive when keeping function in mind when modifying them :)

Don't you own a datsun? Although they aren't disposable, they are older and the majority of members on this sight are trying to make them faster.

I do agree that the ricey one are ugly piles of crap but, they are fun to drive when keeping function in mind when modifying them :)

I hate to say it but when the Datsun's we love and drive were new they were considered affordable and disposable too...

• Like 1

I hate to say it but when the Datsun's we love and drive were new they were considered affordable and disposable too...

I wanted to say the same, but I changed my mind because the level of disposable has gotten pretty low over the years. Cars in the 70's were expected to be on the road more than 5 years. That seems to be the target expectancy on cars now. Plus, Datsun was trying to make a name for themself. Honda is on cruise control making as much profit as they can. And the Civic is the victim of designers designing cars for their target audience. Datsuns target audience was much cooler. And interestingly, the audience is still better, and still paying attention.

The fxr might be the only exception to that my statement, but it still isn't fast by bike standards.

and lets be honest, my bike is really more just fxr shaped than it is an actual harley product. If someone were to ask me to point to a harley part on it, I couldn't.

• Like 1

my mom said her father said that of the Novas, Chevelles, Darts, Valiants, Falcon, Mustangs, Comets and Fairlanes when they were news in the '60s. most folks just don't want to drive something after it's got high miles it or after it's went out of style. I have always loved taking a vintage, cheap, neglected vehicle and driving it everywhere after doing very basic repairs and a bit of cleaning.

this was a running, driving, 120k slant six '68 Valiant that set me back $165 in 1990. I got it from the second owner who had owned it since 1972.

be1.jpg

two months and a "buy me a case o' beer" paint job later.....

bh.jpg

this gold '68 Skylark set me back $50 because it needed an oil pump. being a true Buick motor the oil pump was externally mounted on the side of the block so I had it changed in about ten minutes.

bh2.jpg

bh1a.jpg

here's a '64 Dart with a slant six/3-on-the-tree that I forked out $200 for in 1992.

bk.jpg

I can buy new but I hate a car payment and love taking some hulk that no none loves, giving it new life, driving the dog piss out of it and hearing mouth-breathers say, "man, I like that! haven't seen one of those in years!" and thinking, "They're all over, dumbass but you don't want to put the effort into driving vintage."

• Like 3

Funny how the early 90s does not seem that long ago to me...Yet, I remember buying a fucking mint 71 Chevelle, grandma version (350, 2brl, auto, bench seat) for 300 bucks. No one wanted a Chevelle past 1970. Now I wish I had not beat it to death and traded it for a dirtbike.

• Like 1

Seriously how has nobody said Subaru? Most specifically the WRX/STI

I wanna hate with you because of who drives them. And while unique, the WRX platform just handles so damn well.

I'm getting flamed for sure, but if you've not really driven one, you should. Different from a RWD (which I will always prefer), but kinda impressive.

• Like 1

I wanna hate with you because of who drives them. And while unique, the WRX platform just handles so damn well.

I'm getting flamed for sure, but if you've not really driven one, you should. Different from a RWD (which I will always prefer), but kinda impressive.

I have driven multiple Subarus, WRX, STI, Legacy, Forrester. My aunt only buys subarus, I drive her Forrester alot, and dont get me wrong the Forrester and Legacy are kind of cool. I had a WRX wagon for an entire year while my friend had a DUI and couldnt drive it for that time.

But the WRX/STI are shitty cars. I am not being bias here, they actually are not very well engineered cars, maybe fun to drive sometimes but working on one will make you want to commit sepuku simply because of bad engineering. The tune on them stock is so bad because of having to pass emissions restrictions that it goes in and out of boost. And on top of all that you have to buy wheels that become substantially less valuable the moment you buy them simply because they are 5x100. And they need so much service that it truly isnt funny. Why pay to work on those things if your not actually racing them?

Not to even mention the owners are ALMOST all massive toolbags that dont know anything about cars and think that the Subaru company is the greatest thing to ever exist in the car world and everything that they have ever done is great.

If you EVER compare a WRX/STI to an EVO, then you have never driven an EVO, They are not comparable cars. Everyone ( and the two companies marketing teams) thinks that they are competitors. The two cars are not competitors, never have been and even when racing in the same rally classes, they were not competitors in the real world. Subaru people compare their Subarus to Evos all the time. Many less Evo people will compare their car to a Subaru, ever. Because to be frank, an Evo is alot closer to a GTR than it is to an STI.