FJ20 info

naz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed today that some Toyota spark plug wires are pretty damn close to the ones on the FJ20 though not quiet as big of upper water seal but stock upper boot section could be made to fit. I like the fact that the L series water pump is pretty much a direct drop in for the FJ20 which make for a nice $24 dollars for a pump.

It's supposed to be somewhat of orphan among nissan motors and not share most of it's parts. But so far the water pump is L series pump and the starter is supposed to be as well. Most of the bearings in the lower are also off some L series or another. Gasket Kit is either Japan or Australia it seems. Wiseco makes pistons if you want forged ones. I've also going to use ITB's on the motor and Megasquirt for the hell of it. I built Jeff's Megasquirt so far and figure I might as well build myself one :). Hopefully I don't blow up the motor, and I'm also hoping someone else I know will be soon be running megasquirt so I can learn a bit more before I finish up my motor. I've been getting some stuff from the J & J autoparts place

-Naz

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 FJ20 installed into my wagon and my 2 door any questions that I can help answer let me know I would be happy to help or steer you in the proper direction

I have 2 FJ20 installed into my wagon and my 2 door any questions that I can help answer let me know I would be happy to help or steer you in the proper direction

Did you buy your FJ Turbo car from Troy? I think I know that car from it's engine bay pictures.

They are suzuki gsxr 1000 itb's picked them up off ebay for $50, now I need someone to cut a intake flange for me. Some lovely cnc would be nice right about now. The itb's have a tapered throat on them with a 50mm intake and a 42mm exhaust port on each throttle body. They also have the plumbing for a map sensor and the tps is supposed to work great with a megasquirt. Oddly enough they are also setup for a remote idle adjustment and a cable actuated idle up.

-Naz

• 1 month later...

If folks are ordering bearings for the FJ20 thought I would pass on some info. RB602-std fit the rods which appears to be the same a Z24 and I'm sure a number of other engines. The main bearings are 5M1172-std which are same as L16/L18. The standard rings for the engine are PR607-std which seem to match up with KA24e ring set. The Freeze Plugs are 555-100 or 30mm Freeze Plugs. Hopefully this info is of use to folks!

-Naz

• 1 month later...
http://www.coppergaskets.us/

This guy makes and sells copper head gaskets for the FJ20, I ordered one from him and it should be here soon. Seems that he will make one for anything you want in whatever thickness you want. Pretty cool service I think and his prices are reasonable as well for that kind of service, at least I think.

-Naz

I think the Guys name is Laney if its the same guy he is awesome and his prices are very good I have one of his gaskets on my fj turbo and have no problems but only have maybe an hour of break in time on my engine with no WEEPING from the gasket as I was told may happen

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
It was originally only in some Skylines. I heard it was really made for racing homologation, and is way overengineered. The short block can handle 3 bar boost right from the factory ...

well that will make it hard to find but it sounds like a sweet little motor in that case