• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Anybody know where to get a distributor for a FJ? I am trying to build up a motor and need a few more items:

Distributor

camshafts..or a known cam grinder that can set um up in the U.S.? I'm worried about the lash caps on the valves!

plug wires with grommets..or a match from another motor maybe?

I have 2 motors..one that is pretty complete with everything less the correct dizzy..the one i have looks to be a A series maybe? its got a vacuum advance diaphram and mechanical, dizzy is in pretty bad shape.

The other motor was pretty rough, complete but spun rod bearings..thrust journal was bad. So I had the crank reground and repaired at Standard Crankshafts in NC. it looks brand new now!

Would like to upgrade the cams and springs but sourcing this stuff is pretty hard. Heard alot of guys using stock internals with good results so i'll probably do just that for awhile. Also these were left overs from Aussie and Japan racers that came to Guam in the late 80's early 90's, so both are NA models they used in offroad railcars. The good one was practically brand new inside! it looked like a very low mileage motor or maybe a spare that just sat there! Luckily only 1 bore had some pretty good rust in it..i honed all cylinders and they look good and in spec, might just rering it and let it go! with the same bearings and all! we'll see.

Compared the KA24e rings i have and i'll be damned they are a match!

I might do a blowthru combo with this too! i have a Offy intake from a chevy Vega 4 banger and the port spacing is nearly identical..so i may tig weld a intake flange to this and walla a custom 4 barrel intake for a FJ20..beginning stages..of a loong awaited combo so i'm very excited about learning this motor. It looks to be one tough ass motor and the valve cover and head width alone are a very intimadating item, i love it! I just received a "Tall" model valve cover and it is even badder looking now.

Can't wait to get this going!

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody know where to get a distributor for a FJ? I am trying to build up a motor and need a few more items:

Distributor

camshafts..or a known cam grinder that can set um up in the U.S.? I'm worried about the lash caps on the valves!

plug wires with grommets..or a match from another motor maybe?

I have 2 motors..one that is pretty complete with everything less the correct dizzy..the one i have looks to be a A series maybe? its got a vacuum advance diaphram and mechanical, dizzy is in pretty bad shape.

The other motor was pretty rough, complete but spun rod bearings..thrust journal was bad. So I had the crank reground and repaired at Standard Crankshafts in NC. it looks brand new now!

Would like to upgrade the cams and springs but sourcing this stuff is pretty hard. Heard alot of guys using stock internals with good results so i'll probably do just that for awhile. Also these were left overs from Aussie and Japan racers that came to Guam in the late 80's early 90's, so both are NA models they used in offroad railcars. The good one was practically brand new inside! it looked like a very low mileage motor or maybe a spare that just sat there! Luckily only 1 bore had some pretty good rust in it..i honed all cylinders and they look good and in spec, might just rering it and let it go! with the same bearings and all! we'll see.

Compared the KA24e rings i have and i'll be damned they are a match!

I might do a blowthru combo with this too! i have a Offy intake from a chevy Vega 4 banger and the port spacing is nearly identical..so i may tig weld a intake flange to this and walla a custom 4 barrel intake for a FJ20..beginning stages..of a loong awaited combo so i'm very excited about learning this motor. It looks to be one tough ass motor and the valve cover and head width alone are a very intimadating item, i love it! I just received a "Tall" model valve cover and it is even badder looking now.

Can't wait to get this going!

Sent yo a PM, I've got parts for you.