Ripping out old A/C?

fisch

So my 521 came with the dealer installed A/C unit, the pump hasn't been hooked up since I've owned it (belt bypassed) , and prolly 15years before that.

It is just extra weight! Not only is the compressor added weight, but you should see the huge bracket used to attach it to the side of the L16 block.

How do I yank it out? I've read that the air conditioner system is under pressure and should be removed by a professional. Is this true? Or can I just cut the hoses, undo the bolts and be done w/ it.

I will keep the under dash unit as the electric fan and vents are nice to have!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh have no idea if there is freon in it! I'd like to take it out as a unit, but where the hoses go through the firewall to the under dash unit would have to be taken apart.

THe way these were put in, they put a new main pully on the crank that is actually two pullies in one. That belt use to go to the ac pump and around yet another small pully on the mounting bracket.

I don't think this would go under a 620 dash very well, but I am not sure. Not too familar with what the bottom of a 620 dash looks like.

I will keep the under dash unit anyhoo, cause I love having the extra fan. Plus they are rare as hell. I've only seen one other since I've owned it.

Pics for those who haven't seen one!

Engine3.jpg

Interior2.jpg

there will be a cap on a valve that looks similar to a valve stem valve. Push the plunger in the center down as if you were letting air out of it. You'll know pretty quickly if it's got any pressure or not :)

The 520 dash is the same as the 521...just the texture is different.

so the only reason ur taking it out is because its to heavy.

does it still blow a little cold air. if so I would get it recharged and use it.

I wood think that its RARE to see AC in a datto but ur going to yank most of it out. Im sorry but I cant seem to figure out just why ur doing that, its a rare dealer option, doesnt that make ur trk worth a little more and special plus does it get a little hot where ur living.

I know its UR trk and you can do want it want with it,but if you do decide to open up the unit, do take it to sumone that has the proper equipment, they might not charge you anything because they can resale it to someone that still uses that type of freon.

420n620, I am contemplating an engine change in the future and the ac will have to be removed to take the engine out, so I was thinking about the best way to do it. And since I don't use it, (+ the condencer (radiator looking thing?) is actually pretty mangled), why put back in the extra weight?

In the north east is gets warm for a few weeks, but not as bad as most of the country. I've always been a window down kinda guy when possible.

I guess rip it out was the wrong term too use. I am not looking to destroy it, I wouldn't take it to the dump or anything. I'd keep it around incase I ever really wanted to use it, and enjoy the underdash unit/ fan in the mean time.

I understand now, I thought you was keeping het 521 stock and thats what I could not figure why you was chit canning het AC. What motor/trans swap did you have in mind for het 521??

looking foward to reading het thread on ur injun swap.

:thumbsup:

I know what you mean Fisch, I have a non working AC system in my truck. 90% of the time I just want to take it out.... For some reason I think some day I will get it working.... :D The only reason I haven't taken it out is because I know I will loose all the pieces haha :D Having a rare option like that is bad ass though! I think it looks cool under the dash. With an L16 your going to need to take out more than the AC to feel an acceleration increase :D

With an L16 your going to need to take out more than the AC to feel an acceleration increase :D

True enough Ice!

And man, though I have never had this ac running, let me tell you, when the AC kicks on in my other 4 banger suzuki swift, the car REALLY feels it. Huge difference in rpm's. Not swift.:(

In fact if anyone has run an ac on an l16 lets hear about it, how does it effect the performance?

1971 AC technology is prolly not the best. And looking at the setup it has to weigh a TON!

at no charge in return for keeping the Freon that they get out of it (R12 is a limited commodity in the U.S. - if you're getting an R12 system serviced, cost at most ac shops is $60/lb or more). More likely, all the R12 has leaked out over time through dried out seals, o-rings and hoses.

Most A/C compressors take about 10-20 hp to run them (think about VWs bugs or like enigines with a/c and 40hp to begin with). So figure if your running any kind of car that has less the 200hp your going to feel it. Its like negitive NOS. LOL Hey kick on the A/C we are going to fast.

Thanks for the requests to buy this unit y'all. But I love the underdash unit! Not only cause it is rare, but because the fan works great even w/o the ac and having all those vents lets me aim it around. I've actually replaced my cracked 521 dash with a clean metal 520 one, and made sure to put the under dash unit back under there!

And it'd be a shame to separate it from the underhood stuff permanently so if I take out the compressor, hoses, condencer etc, I will prolly store it somewhere the wife will not find it for a good while!

But if I ever do decide to get rid of it I will certainly let my Ratsun bros know.

• 2 weeks later...
hey fisch, i was wonderin if you could get me a better shot of the compressor and its braket.

the way that your a/c is setup is how i want to run my engine driven air compressor.

thanks

Hey joe, here is a thread w/ those photos. Sorry it took so long!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=6430

If someone were close i would let them take the ac out of my 82 720 but the fan only works on high. don't know that it would work on the older trucks though. Thr previous owner told me it had 123a in it (been swapped over) but i used it once right after i got the truck about 3 years ago. Never tried again but he said just needed to add a can every year.

Georgia south of atlanta.