Project Datstang

Bory

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The caliper is not too big.  Should work just fine.  It does not over hang the ID.  The challenge is that my rotor adapter is stopping me from moving the caliper in any more.  If I cut it down far enough to get the pad even, it will come too close to the rotor mounting holes.

• Like 1

My math must have been off using they're numbers.  I should have double checked the dimensions physically.  I only modeled enough to get the dimensions....would have taken a good deal of time to actually model the caliper.  I've got some research to do.

• Like 1

Like I said, just going off what I can see here :D

When I had it like that, I kept looking at it thinking it looked weird, but it didn't dawn on me about the cooling until I started doing some research this morning on how they're supposed to mount. :)

• Like 1

Holy crap is PB sucking lately!  I had more pics I was going to post, but it's running so slow it isn't funny.  I managed to get a link for this one and it isn't even rotated like it should be.  I already edited it to rotate it.  It's rotated in the thumbs.  No wonder I only do youtube these days.

20160628_160457.jpg

Sign up for a Flickr account. Their app auto uploads photos you take on your phone and they have a "BBCode" sharing option that automatically generates links to put in your posts without all the bullshit.

• Like 3

Wow! Love the oval exhaust, not too many people use it, I custom made part of my 4" exhaust on my into oval section for ground clearance, made so much more sense than bashing or sectioning floor pans or compromising exhaust size.

Quick question regarding the hubs, would it have not been easier to find a modern equivalent hub that runs a sealed bearing setup, I see a lot of work has gone into the hubs and the control arms, but surely something else out there could have been made to fit with less custom work, something like a mustang 2 front end from a hotrod shop.

In now way do I want to offend mklotz70, I love the work he has done and the effort gone into documenting it all as well, I guess with my skills being with spanners rather than lathes, I try find a modern bolt in solution rather than making something myself, a skill I'm jealous to not have, plus the lack of shed space, time and more importantly, access to a lathe, mill and the rest of the tools.

• Like 1

Quick question regarding the hubs, would it have not been easier to find a modern equivalent hub that runs a sealed bearing setup

Sealed bearings have to be pressed in and out and thus can't be maintained, just changed. At a fair expense.

A standard "old school" bearing can be routinely cleaned and greased, seldom if ever fails (when maintained), and can be easily replaced by the owner. 

I see a lot of work has gone into the hubs and the control arms, but surely something else out there could have been made to fit with less custom work, something like a mustang 2 front end from a hotrod shop.

All the Mustang II setups I've seen use the Mustang II which are no different than the stock Datsun bearings? Also the stock Datsun bearings are quite stout. 

• Like 2

I actually was gonna do mustang II,

But I really like what BH's has going, plus he is going to offer this as a kit, so I went with him, again, I'm an against the grain builder, and really put attention to trying things that are new. Proud to have all sorts of bitz that at the moment, are one off!!

• Like 2

http://vid88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/mklotz70/Brake%20Kits/Big%20Brake%20Option/13%20inch%20Brakes/VID_99981206_134417.mp4

....since the photobucket link doesn't seem to work....here's basically the same vid on my YT channel.  I've started it at about the last minute to show the cool chamfering, but feel free to watch it from the start. :)

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 3