• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching anyone swim in freezing water is my equivalent to doing a triple no handed backflip without a cod piece. Not change subject

I "think" a person gets used to it eventually. The hard part is getting a tolerance built up. I really like it, wakes me right the hell up.

The 80's are not their fault. They were merely the punished generation of music to face this modern computer world. They were able to record music with little to no concern for the recording. Neither from the musicians, nor the studio. The actual recording could be recorded over. Not thrown out like the old resin recording discs. The technology hit studios before then, but the reality of the technology, and the consequence of it was not apparent for a while. They still had a large pool of talented bands/artists/composers worth recording.

But up come the boomers. These kids were entitled fuckers. As a generation, the received the largest subsidies, pop made a great living, commodities were cheap. This generation was on top of the world and going to change everything. So they lacked the creative spark as well as the motivation to get good with an instrument. "Why play an instrument? We have a radio right there." Well what happened was Disco. Disco came in to rebel against the rock and roll music that was topping the charts. Disco cranked it up even louder and found the best promoter in the world at the time, Cocaine, to represent them. What happened next is akin to catching a Hail Mary pass, tripping on your own dick, landing with a concussion three feet from the finish line without a memory of one single thing that happened, and you were happy about that. Well, when the boomers came to, they realized that they should stop. As they healed, the recording studios scrambled to find the new sound. The next "Disco". Well there was none. The next generation learnt that quiet was better than Music. That and there was no pool of inspiration to draw from. Disco is to blame for the 80's. It was a confused but creative era without a script, style, nor direction. And from it, we got mountains and mountains of weird, interesting, creative snippets of sound making it onto albums small enough to fit in your pocket. Well Hip hop had plenty to pull from, and several other genres emerged by at least seeing the resurgence in live music of the 80's.

In summary, Disco is to blame for the 80's. And the 90's were only badass compared to other post digital music. The early artists who played an instrument all day every day to be a great. To them, I owe thanks. Folks such as Biz Markie doing an 80's jam

After reading tr8er's post, I realize something...  :no: I'm not ready to move on.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

My 80s music manifesto

I agree, once the Boomer Generation played itself out, the kids left over at the end were definitely a bunch of entitled fuckers and they lacked the creativity and motivation and spine to rebel against the music industry. In deed, the best promoter of this cultural mediocrity was Cocaine, and albums like David Bowie's Station to Station stand as a stark reminder of that cultural (nasal) vacuum known as "the excess of the 80s". 

Before the tail end boomer brats realized they'd had their generation's music stolen, the music industry scrambled to ramp up MTV. With imagery they could more effectively market crap instead of Music, and successfully reprogram the next generation of culture consumers. There was no shortage of talent back then, but no seeds of inspiration were nurtured, or left to draw upon the rotting carcass of post modern music. Instead of letting nature take it’s course in the circle of life, shit fell into an even darker state of decomposition when the money grubbing corporate worms started feeding on the previous generation's heroes. Let Ebony and Ivory by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney stand as an example of this absolute cultural implosion. 

With all the rotting organic material up here, the Pacific North West has evolved as the alfa scavenger of failed culture. Out of the primordial ooze of the festering rotten 80s came Grunge and Hip Hop. It wasn’t until the music industry began losing money that they tried cashing in on the rebellion of the X-gen, but by then it was too late. The tech dye was cast and the music industry’s reign over culture, fashion, and music was over… for a short time any way. 

Old vestiges of the tech industry like user groups, and new peer to peer software (such as Napster and Limewire) made it possible to gutted the corporate music wale.  Whiners like Lars Ulrich actually tried to make us feel guilty for his lost millions. Fucking Joke!!!!! Looked like freedom was upon us, BUT... Crazy how fast people will crawl back in their comfy little corporate hole. With iTunes, Jobs preyed upon people’s lazy selfish nature and gave the pointless lost souls of the planet a hip cage that made them feel like they were in charge… as they paid $.99 for every shit quality mp3 song that can’t be played on any other mp3 platform, or even shared on other peoples i”PODS” aka overlord's sheep bate. 

Truth is, if you think music sucks today, your just lazy. There is tons of GREAT stuff out there and 50 different ways to access it. Blog after blog sharing ideas and music of every imaginable genera. Anyone complaining about music today is obviously lazy and ignorant, which instantly negates any argument they try to make. If referring to what is played on the “radio” reread the first sentence in this paragraph.

After reading tr8er's post, I realize something...  :no: I'm not ready to move on.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

My 80s music manifesto

I agree, once the Boomer Generation played itself out, the kids left over at the end were definitely a bunch of entitled fuckers and they lacked the creativity and motivation and spine to rebel against the music industry. In deed, the best promoter of this cultural mediocrity was Cocaine, and albums like David Bowie's Station to Station stand as a stark reminder of that cultural (nasal) vacuum known as "the excess of the 80s". 

Before the tail end boomer brats realized they'd had their generation's music stolen, the music industry scrambled to ramp up MTV. With imagery they could more effectively market crap instead of Music, and successfully reprogram the next generation of culture consumers. There was no shortage of talent back then, but no seeds of inspiration were nurtured, or left to draw upon the rotting carcass of post modern music. Instead of letting nature take it’s course in the circle of life, shit fell into an even darker state of decomposition when the money grubbing corporate worms started feeding on the previous generation's heroes. Let Ebony and Ivory by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney stand as an example of this absolute cultural implosion. 

With all the rotting organic material up here, the Pacific North West has evolved as the alfa scavenger of failed culture. Out of the primordial ooze of the festering rotten 80s came Grunge and Hip Hop. It wasn’t until the music industry began losing money that they tried cashing in on the rebellion of the X-gen, but by then it was too late. The tech dye was cast and the music industry’s reign over culture, fashion, and music was over… for a short time any way. 

Old vestiges of the tech industry like user groups, and new peer to peer software (such as Napster and Limewire) made it possible to gutted the corporate music wale.  Whiners like Lars Ulrich actually tried to make us feel guilty for his lost millions. Fucking Joke!!!!! Looked like freedom was upon us, BUT... Crazy how fast people will crawl back in their comfy little corporate hole. With iTunes, Jobs preyed upon people’s lazy selfish nature and gave the pointless lost souls of the planet a hip cage that made them feel like they were in charge… as they paid $.99 for every shit quality mp3 song that can’t be played on any other mp3 platform, or even shared on other peoples i”PODS” aka overlord's sheep bate. 

Truth is, if you think music sucks today, your just lazy. There is tons of GREAT stuff out there and 50 different ways to access it. Blog after blog sharing ideas and music of every imaginable genera. Anyone complaining about music today is obviously lazy and ignorant, which instantly negates any argument they try to make. If referring to what is played on the “radio” reread the first sentence in this paragraph.

My closing comment on the next generation being in bad shape is based  on what is on the radio.  Because that is what is being heard en masse.  The seekers will find depth, which is generally the case, but to dive a generational trend takes "mass" media.  You will see, in the 2020's the music trend will be scattered, and fragmented.  Looking for direction.  If I'm wrong I'll buy you a milkshake.  

I think this generation's trend is already taking place through technology and driven through social media rather than radio. My 13 year old son does listen to the radio, but he also gets music through his friends and from troll fishing the internet. He also uses soundhound to identify good stuff he hears. I have no idea if he represents the norm though.

Personally, I have accounts on beatport, pandora, spotify, soundcloud, and I spend late hours snooping youtube. I also participate in several blogs, but all this stuff is already considered "old timer".  Shit is moving too fast for there to be any kind of "Movement" today. Kids may hear something that truly stews your shit, but in two weeks it's a classic.

I think this generation's trend is already taking place through technology and driven through social media rather than radio. My 13 year old son does listen to the radio, but he also gets music through his friends and from troll fishing the internet. He also uses soundhound to identify good stuff he hears. I have no idea if he represents the norm though.

Personally, I have accounts on beatport, pandora, spotify, soundcloud, and I spend late hours snooping youtube. I also participate in several blogs, but all this stuff is already considered "old timer". Shit is moving too fast for there to be any kind of "Movement" today. Kids may hear something that truly stews your shit, but in two weeks it's a classic.

Shit I'm an old timer, I listen to an iPod whilst driving and at work full of music I know or my buddy let me rip from his cds. No radio (unless you count the occasional Pandora) just Shit that's over two years old

Personally, I have accounts on beatport, pandora, spotify, soundcloud, and I spend late hours snooping youtube. I also participate in several blogs, but all this stuff is already considered "old timer".  Shit is moving too fast for there to be any kind of "Movement" today. Kids may hear something that truly stews your shit, but in two weeks it's a classic.

My kids (now early twenties) and stepkids (late teens) all have iPods and smart phones full of damned near everything except country. genres mean nothing to them. kids today are spoiled as hell when it comes to music. I remember digging for hours at used record and tape shops (which almost always also contained some form of a head shop) to find an obscure song or album.

God help you if you heard some oddball oldie on the radio in the pre-google era and got a tune or lyric stuck in your head. You might have to ask twenty music fanatics who the singer was before finally getting an answer or that shit just might become a brain tumour.

• Like 1

Music is just so fucking subjective. There have been extremely popular songs from pretty much every year that I have been alive that I just can't even come close to understanding how anyone could stand to listen to, but clearly, I'm in the minority. I'm sure that many would feel the same way about the shit I like. With music, it seems to me that "good" is what YOU like.

douchebag......out.

There's a lot of power in capitalizing on that basic human need to fit in and be cool though. This is how a few can dictate what is good. If this wasn't true, country music wouldn't exist.

Back in the day, Virgin and Tower records were virtual extensions of the radio. Wouldn't you call that a joint monopoly on the "cool" nob?