nissan or toyota?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem.  (Looks around)  (Whips out megaphone)

FUCK TOYOTA!!!!! :D

• Like 9

Looked at some cars today. Which one should I buy?

1. 1997 Nissan Sentra with 115hp. Accessory drive belts flew off, can start but not drive until fixed. $1000

2. 1996 Camry V6. Drives good but leaks oil onto exhaust with causing smoke. $1500

Sentra will be more reliable. 

That Camry is either about to, or already has eaten it's rings. 

Idler/tensioner pulleys are fairly common on the Nissans to go out. Cheap fix. 

• Like 1

Sentra

Why?

Sentra is easy to find in the wrecking yard, those lil 1.6's are easy to find if your motor ever blows, if you want to upgrade easy to change up to a sr20. Lots of good aftermarket, and shit forthem to.   Plus good gas milage compared to the toyo

Hrm, Datsun people choosing a nissan over a toyota. Surprised? :P

Honestly though from a repair standpoint the sentra seems to be the better choice. Cheaper, seems to be an easy fix, decent room fo a small family. Then again, I always run from camrys. IMO the camry is the most over-rated piece of :poop: sedan in the US. Every person I know with a camry has had problems, but then again all of them were second (or third) hand. Probably bad maintenance, but I'll stay away just in case.

I'd say Toyota if it weren't the V6; They kinda suck to work on, every one I've seen is leaking oil somewhere, and getting to the leaks is often a time consuming affair. Still might lean that way given the options, however..

The Sentra has a reason that the belts "flew off". Either a pulley is frozen up, a bracket broke, or maybe you'll luck out and whomever installed the belts just didn't do it correctly. My wager is that here is more than meets the eye, here.

Mileage on each? When were the timing belts last done, etc..

I have an automatic transmission you can throw into those trucks. Might need duct tape to make them fit though.

I'd buy a Camry without too much concern. I'd likely just drive it till it quits though, and its already burning oil so maybe not this specimen. Sentras are shitty reliable cars. Like that girlfriend you treat like shit cause you just don't care, but she keeps calling you on Fridays.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

The Camry has proven to be very reliable. It leaks oil, but after tightening the valve covers it doesn't leak too bad. Rings are just fine.

The V6 is not extremely powerful, but it is plenty, it is smooth, and it is quiet. Overall, the Camry drives like a Ford. We had 1996 LTD, 1989 Mustang and 1985 LTD. Yes, like those.

My opinion probsbly doesn't matter much, but here it is.

Looks..Almost identical, edge to Sentra.

Interior...Sentra has a cleaner look.

Engine...WOW that Camry engine bay is a mess...The Sentra looks to be user friendly.

Which car has readily available parts at the yard?

The Sentra repair will most likely intail a few parts...but straight forward.

The Camry oil leak...good luck..

My 2 cents....Go with the Sentra.

I do not regret getting the Camry at all. It has needed no repairs over the last year.

An old friend and coworker just got rid of his POS Camry. The damn unreliable engine blew at just over 600,000 miles!

(sarcasm in case you couldn't tell...  :P)