F!CKING Freezing and sh!t ... i needs more blows

jrock4224

ok I mentioned it two days ago and got nothing ... so here it goes .... 521 owners ...... is there a way to adapt or speed up the blower motor n this truck ..... mines a newer blower motor and even on high its like low in a normal vehicle...... the other two setting are useless..... f ing useless...and yes  I know one click out is high but jesus it defrosts ok but I need more heat in the cab .... ...I mean its warm but still I want to feel the heat blowing .,....... it feels like a 6v fan on a warn out 9 v battery ........ and like mines the best of our bunch and we all want more blows ...or at least blows harder

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 510 is the same way, only with a bigger cab,  i went to drive it around the this weekend but i warmed it for a half an hour and said ,the hell with it.. Mine works on all speeds just like it should but i think the problem lies in the shape of squirrel cage housing and efficiency of blades. That and being 15 degrees at night since last Wednesday probably isn't helping.

But that's just like ,,, my opinion man

The radiator on my 521 currently,

RadBlockTop_zps30ae6199.jpg

Bottom part of the radiator.

RadblockBottom_zps18dcb5d0.jpg

I live south of Portland Oregon, so I am in pretty much the same cold as you, but without the Puget sound being close.

Blocking the radiator like this, allow the engine to warm up faster, and more heat is available for the heater.  That helps to get hot air, instead of lukewarm air.

Make sure your temp gauge works if you block the radiator. 

Back to your fan.  it is hard to know if the fan blows at full speed, unless you have another to compare it to, and even then, both fan motors are still 40 years old. 

Remove the white heater water control knob, one screw holding the rubber boot to the air control box, mounted on the cab, and the three clips that hold the face of the heater on, and pull the face of the heater box off.  Clean the leaves, junk, and whatever else is on the heater core, and in the fan out.  That will help your heater fan move more air, and air to move easier through the heater core.

You might also want to remove the cowl grill, and clean leaves and junk out of the area below the cowl, that directs air into the air control box.

No relay on a 521 fan.

• Like 3

We (Jdork) live at the very southern tip of Puget Sound so it doesn't effect our weather at all,  so we are in a serious deep freeze. Blocking some of radiator off carefully  would definitely help keep the temps up when warming up for sure.

Yes...be very careful when installing a piece of card board in front of rad.

IE...keep your eye on the temp gauge.

I installed my usual piece of cardboard this season, actually it was a little premature relative to temp.

Engine got a little too hot.......<.....blew the HG :crying:

Swapped engines and noticed the 'new' engine was getting a little too hot before the stat opened up.

Hmmmm......pulled the stat and checked the rating....195 degrees

Found another rated at 192 and dropped both in some water....brought to boil.

Wanted to confirm the 192 opened before the 195....yup....good to go.

Installed it....engine quickly comes up to a perfect operating temp...lots of heat.

Done...no need for any card board.

Yet.....

Just feel lucky you've been able to start it in this cold weather.

yeah. my 240 won't start at all. not that i plan on driving it... its the principal of the matter. sometimes a man needs to sit in his man cave and listen to his beast purr

k let me add a little back ground.... new heater box freshly powder coated ...... newer heater core .... new radiator .... new 195 thermo stat... was thinking about trying to find a 210 thermo stat ....but i dont really have a heat in the engine issue .... its runs a little warm and electric fans assure me i wont prematurely cool the motor off.....i just need a larger volume of air moved at the temp it s at.....i like the relay idea.....all three positions on my fan work they just are slow, slower and wait is it even on but yes its blowing...was thinking of trying 24v lol....

1. do u think a warmer thermo stat is the best idea ....

2. is there a right up ont he relay  and if not can  i use one relay or three??? really i only use slow (high) setting....

3. naners right i think one limiting factor is the efficiency of the heater box......

As fucked up as California is to most of you guys up north. We don't have these issues. I don't even have a heater in my wagon. :rofl:

The heater in my 240 works but not very good.

k let me add a little back ground.... new heater box freshly powder coated ...... newer heater core .... new radiator .... new 195 thermo stat... was thinking about trying to find a 210 thermo stat ....but i dont really have a heat in the engine issue .... its runs a little warm and electric fans assure me i wont prematurely cool the motor off.....i just need a larger volume of air moved at the temp it s at.....i like the relay idea.....all three positions on my fan work they just are slow, slower and wait is it even on but yes its blowing...was thinking of trying 24v lol....

1. do u think a warmer thermo stat is the best idea ....

2. is there a right up ont he relay  and if not can  i use one relay or three??? really i only use slow (high) setting....

3. naners right i think one limiting factor is the efficiency of the heater box......

Let me call Moises[NIS720] and see if he can chime in for you.

Guest Rick-rat

ok I mentioned it two days ago and got nothing ... so here it goes .... 521 owners ...... is there a way to adapt or speed up the blower motor n this truck ..... mines a newer blower motor and even on high its like low in a normal vehicle...... the other two setting are useless..... f ing useless...and yes  I know one click out is high but jesus it defrosts ok but I need more heat in the cab .... ...I mean its warm but still I want to feel the heat blowing .,....... it feels like a 6v fan on a warn out 9 v battery ........ and like mines the best of our bunch and we all want more blows ...or at least blows harder

As a last resort you could put bigger  mice  the squirrel cage, what is the voltage going to the blower motor?

The heater core in a 521 is the smallest thing I have ever seen. It's about the size of the palm of your hand and is pathetic. I had a 521 for about 8 years in Ontario where it gets a lot colder than here. After about 3 years I stood a '69 Charger heater assy up between the seats with extra long heater hoses taped to the roof and blowing downward on the windshield. The next year I had an evaporator core from an air conditioner (about 8" by 10" by 2.5" thick) with an old '50s heater fan. Looked like a snail with a hamster wheel inside. Mounted where the glove box used to be. Unbelievable heat, unbelievable. 

To get the most out of what you got...

Make damn sure the motor is a warm as it should be. If running a 180 thermostat go to a 190 for the winter.

Reverse flush the core with a garden hose until the water comes out clean. I did this on mine and it looked like chocolate milk with dead flies in it.

Power to the blower motor comes from the fuse box to the motor. From the motor it goes to the switch which sends it to ground for high speed and through a resistance to ground for lower speeds. I suppose you could check all your connections and fuse contacts and run a dedicated ground wire from the cab sheet metal to the head. The battery negative cable is also bolted to the head by the fuel pump. This would assure a good solid return. A 90 amp alternator swap is your best bet for next season. I have one in both my 710s and with headlights on at idle the heater fan is a tornado.

Be sure the internal flap gate is not mixing cold with the warmed air. The foam rubber seals may have peeled off or moved? Check the linkage is traveling and working properly.

Be sure the cock is opening all the way for full flow.

Check for a kinked hose behind the heater and out at the head and the return to the lower rad hose.

Replace any missing door seal rubber. Make sure the doors seal when closed.

Plug any holes in the floor or shift boot.

sounds to me like your newer blower motor sucks balls.  For real though, you've got something obviously wrong because I've been driving the 521 every day and my shit gets hot as fuck.... like to the point that I need to crack a window to cool it down inside the cab.  I haven't parked it outside since last Tuesday night (been squeaking it into the uninsulated shop, so it's still be cold as hell, just not cold as fucking hell), but even before that on the below freezing nights it would take only 10-15 minutes of warming up and driving combined in the mornings to clear all the moisture off the inside of my window.... and it has been BAD with ice on both sides numerous times.

• Like 1