84 720 kc project

mattmctree@gmail.com

The nose slid forward by itself and right into the pilot bushing and the case and block banged together... alI I did was rotate slightly to line the bolt holes up!!!! Woot, never did that before or since.

I assume you bought lottery tickets that day.
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 20 minutes of sweating, swearing, and getting red in the face is pretty much required. Then all of a sudden the tranny slips in. Two people is much better. You need to have the face of the bell housing and rear face of the block exactly parallel as the nose of the trans shaft approaches the pilot bushing. It is really hard to see if they are parallel while you are jockeying the tranny, hence the 2nd person to watch alignment and shout encouragement. Or help swear when it isn't working.

I haven't had a chance to actually try this yet, but want to the next time I do a tranny by myself:

5898954653_3fda4f5942_b.jpg

The plywood platform rolls on 3/4" pipe or broom handle. The tranny needs to be blocked up level so it goes into the engine straight. But you can roll the tranny with one hand while watching the alignment at the bell housing. I've thought of bolting a couple of Datsun scissors jacks in place of the blocks to give fine up and down height adjustment, sort of a DIY tranny jack.

Len

• Like 1

Yeah someone to just stand there, agreeing that it should have went in already is strangely calming..

What the fuck is the problem!!

I dunno it looks pretty close.

ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,   let me try something..

• Like 1

Yeah someone to just stand there, agreeing that it should have went in already is strangely calming..

that ^^^ is the story of EVERY transmission ive put in a datsun :/ 

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to actually try this yet, but want to the next time I do a tranny by myself:

Umm, I don't think we would want to know. :w00t:  :rofl:

Definitely easier with two when not on a lift. How cramped is it in a 720? easier, harder or about the same as a 620? In the z's you can cut some head bolts down long enough to thread in the block and long enough you can get them out by hand and use them as alignment pins. Once the bellhousing contacts a couple of the bolts it will just slide in without struggling getting the input shaft in the pilot bushing.

In the z's you can cut some head bolts down long enough to thread in the block and long enough you can get them out by hand and use them as alignment pins. Once the bellhousing contacts a couple of the bolts it will just slide in without struggling getting the input shaft in the pilot bushing.

No fucking shit..... thats an awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!

thats how we got the 5 speed in the Z

• Like 1

so i got the tranny up in the cavity and the cross member loosely put on. i tried for an hour to get the transmission into place. what a paint in the sac! i ended up leaving it and will go back to it later to try again. i used a clutch tool one that hold the pressure plate and clutch disc together, the clutch kit i bought didnt come with one of the regularr slide in types, it is really testing my patience. i cant seem to get the to line up. when i pulled the tranny i noticed that grease i put on looked like the splines had gone in a bit but not very far . i dont know where to get one of  the regular types of clutch tools. it seemd like maybe the one i have didnt line it up properly.

Hello mate, sorry I've come in a little bit late on this thread.

You mentioned you replaced the pilot bushing?

Did you check the bushing located over the gearbox shaft prior to fitting?

Also, have you used a bit of what we call emery paper, or wet and dry sandpaper to make sure there are no burrs or high spots on the gearbox shaft? Which may cause difficultys with the replacement.

ive taken my transmission out of my 84 720 4x4. where do i find the model of tranny that i have? i picked up a spare transmission that looks exactly the same as mine but want to know how to identify it.

both transmissions are identicle side by side and both came out of 80;s 720 4x4. any help where to find markings or stampings would be great.

All years and models of 720 used the 71B series transmission in either 4 or 5 speed and 26" or 31.5" lengths. They were fitted to three different motors, the L and Z series gas and the SD diesel motors. The differences were the starter placement and the bolt patterns on the front otherwise they were the same transmission basically.

The 84 720 4x4 is an FS5W71B (5 speed) There are no serial numbers or anything much to ID it by. It will either be 26 or 31.5" long depending if you have a KC or short wheelbase truck. Unlike the 2wd the 4x4 transmissions do not have a speedometer cable.

On the front case near the reverse lamp switch it may say 71B or LZ71B. If it helps all years of 720 used the 71B 4 or 5 speed transmission even the diesel. The differences are are how the bolt hole pattern to mount to the motor are located.

there is a metal plate in my engine bay on the passenger side that shows the transmission, idk if its the same location for a 720, but mine says FS5W71C then shows the rear end it has also right next to it.

on the hardbody the doorjamb sticker dont have much useful info on it, its the one in the engine bay with juicy info.