75' and '85 long beds from Oz

I don't think I want a small wheel, I'm hoping that the OG 620 whell will fit, then atleast something on the inside will be 620, and it is already black and not a pooey brown colour like the 720 wheel. I think the 620 wheel is a little bigger than the 720. I'll do a test fit one day when I take the 620 wheel off of the grey one. Then I'll let you know I guess

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How tuff was the 720 dash to install. Bolt right in?

not quite. It was a little more difficult than I would have liked it to be. The three mounts off the firwall (or there abouts) had to be removed from thier position, trimmed and mounted lower down. there needed to be a little trimmage of the rack of the steering column (only about 20mm, i can't figure that out into inches) to make room for the gauge cluster. I had to cut off the mounts on the sides of the cab and the sides of the dash so it would fit.

So basically I've only done the top 3 mounts and havn't even messed around with the side mounts. The 720 dashes are nearly the perfect width though besides the plastic mounting points on the ends that need to be trimmed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got the dash done finally.

When I pulled the old cover off I found that someone previous to me had filled up the cracks with something similar to bog.

So what I did was get rid of all that and pull the original vinyl off aswell as it was way old and all cracking and hard anyway.

So I put a layer of fibreglass over the foam to cover the holes and foam.

Then I covered it with some 6mm foam to make it nice a soft and got a cover sewn up to put over that.

6mm foamage just glued on

P1010824.jpg

P1010825.jpg

And the cover glued on too, the lines are a bit uneven on the front but the curves and limited stretching of the material contributed to that, and I told you it was a home job so you get that

P1010828.jpg

P1010831.jpg

And I am going to have to paint the bottom of it a dark blue or black or something, that colour doesn't mesh well with the fabric

Oh and does anyone know how to change the title of the thread so I can make it for my 720 too?

Decided to shave some spare doors I had for it, the 720 that is

Here is a tip for people shaving doors that I found ouut the hard way. DO THE KEYHOLE FIRST! It make the door allot stronger and warps less, with that hole there it just lets the panel bow in and out.

P1010812.jpg

P1010812.jpg

P1010814.jpg

Keyhole is done too by the way^^^^^

And I don't really have a spare $300 AUD to get a popper kit so this is my new door handle and this will be accompanied by keyless entry so I can get it.

P1010821.jpg

P1010823.jpg

And here is what I am aiming for with this one, except all in OG ivory yellow (I don't know how to do colours in paintshop)

P10108096.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I really love what you've done with your 620! I noticed you said If you found a later model 720 dash you'd fit it.

I was at the wreckers the other day and they had one of these not sure if its later.

09052008001wa9.jpg

Where abouts in Aus are you?

Also when you mounted the L20B is it sitting that high using the stock mounting points?

^^^ haha, you digged my thread up out of the depths. That looks like a later model dash (round gauges), and I am aaalllll the way up in queensland.

And the engine I have is an L18 which is a tad shorter than the L20s and mine is on a 720 chassis so I do't really know if you could do a straight swap.

Had to trim up the sump a bit more again and added a little extra feature so i can get it off easier and there is a pic of the modded pickup to suit the sump. Does anyone know which of these three switvhes in the gearbox is for the reverse lights and what the other two are for???

P1010858.jpg

P1010859.jpg

P1010860.jpg

<<< rear front>>>

P1010861.jpg

P1010861.jpg

The very front, or far right in this picture is the reverse light switch.

The upper one with light color wires is likely the neutral switch and the far left is the top or high gear switch. Both of these switches are for emissions use.

Qld hey damn! Oh well you guys always seem to have 620's and 720's come up for sale up there. They're on ebay all the time.

I'll see how I go fitting the L20B I've gotta go pick it up from Newcastle on new years unless I get it shipped down earlier.

Even if I have to do some modifying to mounts and body won't be too bad I'd love to know about airbag suspension but I got no Idea top job on yours.

Next couple of days, I had it all tuned up today so it runs like a champ, just got to chuck the front and rear windscreen in tomorrow, lights and shit like that, bleed the brakes, then I'll have to get use to driving it, scary thought :eek: I have never even been in a bagged ride.

It was good to see the old 620 for real again. Pictures definately don't do it justice. The colour looks deeper n all that. Sure has changed a bit since I last saw it.

Anyway that's mad about the photoshoot! Yeah Boi! You'll have to post some pics up on here when they get done. Pictures should turn out good.