Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come back at me when *you are* not feeling like a little girl........wow, a come back with a spelling error....

What did I tell you, down on *your* game...

You're quoting a reply that was made to someone else; about a separate topic.

Do you even know how to play this game? You're not very good at it if you do understand the rules.

Ever get that reply back from your CL ad?

https://www.trucks.com/2017/04/19/toyota-project-portal-fuel-cell-truck/

"Secret ‘Project Portal’ Toyota Venture Launches Hydrogen Fuel Cell Heavy-Duty Truck"

The experiment — powering an 80,000-pound Class 8 truck-and-trailer combo using Toyota’s cutting-edge clean-tech hydrogen fuel cell system — was successful enough to warrant a second phase. The company is now live-testing a short-haul, zero-emission drayage truck shuttling shipping containers between the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach and various freight depots up to 70 miles away.

The fuel cell powers a motor that produces more than 670 horsepower and 1,327 pound feet of torque, roughly the same as the new Cummins X15 Efficiency Series diesel engine. It is capable of both propelling the nearly 11-ton tractor and a loaded trailer at speeds of up to 65 mph and of handling a steep 12 percent grade (a rise of about 40 feet over the length of a football field), Brown said. Because all of the electric motor’s formidable torque is available instantly, Toyota’s prototype truck can handily out-accelerate comparably powered diesels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BSH0OEOJ4

I was reading an article on how diesel is dead in cars, and this was brought up. This is a game changer.

your going to bring "tra8er" in this

I do, when they wreck!

Nope. Metal hydride is the solid state storage Mike was speaking of. It releases H2 at a rate that would not explode. Compressed hydrogen is a possibility, and carbon fiber tanks are making this possible, but liquified h2 needs to be cryogenic. Therefore not feasible for vehicles. High pressure h2 (30,000psi) is also not a consideration due to considerable expense of containment. But just to give an idea, 250psi of propane holds 50 times as many btu's as H2 at 250psi. Thus solid state metal hydride storage. It's also quite cool that hydrogen gas is so small in molecular H2 that it goes straight through drywall and plywood. Meaning a gas leak would never lead to a combustible mix of h2 an O2. Even though h2 has a huge combustibility range. More so than any other gas. 5% o2 will ignite. As an example, one of my partner companies leaves a h2 valve open for a couple minutes letting kids play with the hose. Then they light a match and ignite the end of the hose. No boom, no danger. Just a super clean flame with water vapor for exhaust. HHO is the shit that gives hydrogen a bad name. Extremely flammable. That's the shit that goes boom. Splitting water straight up will give you H2 and O2. Re-combine those, and you will yield HHO and O2. Light a match and your windows will fucking blow up like an instant hasn't past. I know first hand. But solid storage with fuel cell conversion is better than batteries. I'm not done, but I'm working toward this end.

Yes, h2 is the end of petrol transportation. Both fuel cell and combustion will dominate any hydrocarbon piston setup. But it'll never replace our classic addictions. That's a good thing

• Like 3

Also, h2 is so light it floats at freeway speeds. That's why it doesn't amass. Also, it's so small piston rings won't hold it making traditional engine design fraught with weakness. There is one design that works. The injectors need to push gas into the middle of an air filled piston, allowing the air to seal the piston until compression/ignition occurs. It is there, but not widely developed yet. We are talking about last years tech. New stuff you will see soon enough. An old fiat engineer actually thought it up a while back, but only now showing up.

• Like 2

Are you a nuke tech? Some sort of naval engineer?

Shit that sounded wrong. He's the only one who's met me. I'm no nuke nothing. Just an electrician with an iPhone and a Datsun. And yes, an obsession with hydrogen. And yes, actively trying to get on that train before all the comfy seats are taken.

• Like 4

It is right up his ally, but was more interested in what the truck drivers thought about it. After all it will affect them first.

Yeah. I'm not that. But I do have my CDL.

I'd expect the industry will adopt this quickly. First thing will be Volvo or Kenworth buying patent rights to combustion engine design (they need something to give them a boost in the market). This would lay the fuel network foundation for fuel cell/electric cars and trucks. It could all begin with big rigs. (Actually, it already all began with forklifts, but that won't help fuel networks).

• Like 1

Nope. Metal hydride is the solid state storage Mike was speaking of. It releases H2 at a rate that would not explode. Compressed hydrogen is a possibility, and carbon fiber tanks are making this possible, but liquified h2 needs to be cryogenic. Therefore not feasible for vehicles. High pressure h2 (30,000psi) is also not a consideration due to considerable expense of containment. But just to give an idea, 250psi of propane holds 50 times as many btu's as H2 at 250psi. Thus solid state metal hydride storage. It's also quite cool that hydrogen gas is so small in molecular H2 that it goes straight through drywall and plywood. Meaning a gas leak would never lead to a combustible mix of h2 an O2. Even though h2 has a huge combustibility range. More so than any other gas. 5% o2 will ignite. As an example, one of my partner companies leaves a h2 valve open for a couple minutes letting kids play with the hose. Then they light a match and ignite the end of the hose. No boom, no danger. Just a super clean flame with water vapor for exhaust. HHO is the shit that gives hydrogen a bad name. Extremely flammable. That's the shit that goes boom. Splitting water straight up will give you H2 and O2. Re-combine those, and you will yield HHO and O2. Light a match and your windows will fucking blow up like an instant hasn't past. I know first hand. But solid storage with fuel cell conversion is better than batteries. I'm not done, but I'm working toward this end.

Yes, h2 is the end of petrol transportation. Both fuel cell and combustion will dominate any hydrocarbon piston setup. But it'll never replace our classic addictions. That's a good thing

Hey now!, Thanks for the info, solid input right there :thumbup:

Shit that sounded wrong. He's the only one who's met me. I'm no nuke nothing. Just an electrician with an iPhone and a Datsun. And yes, an obsession with hydrogen. And yes, actively trying to get on that train before all the comfy seats are taken.

By the way this is the kind of cover story CIA/NSA/DOD operatives use when trying the militarised/spy version of the DENNIS system.

• Like 1

You made the run interesting, ya I missed your fantastical rants 1313.

Flatcat your down on your game.....

*you're

Far from. Come back at me when you learn how to spell.

The ball was well returned into your court. Two options here. Lob it back if you dare or laugh it off.