Possible Datsun name revival

Saw this on MSN Exhaust notes :

Report: Nissan Reviving Datsun Brand

Will a new sub-brand be sold in emerging markets?

By Clifford Atiyeh 17 hours ago

Share 557

Nissan may be reviving its former nameplate, Datsun, in 2014, if a report by the Japanese news agency Nikkei is to be believed.

The report, which did not cite sources, said that Nissan wants to create a lower-cost sub-brand to better compete in countries such as Russia, India and Indonesia. The cars would cost roughly twice that of the Indian-built Tata Nano, the world's cheapest production car, or about $6,100 at today's exchange rates.

There are even plans, according to Nikkei, of a 0.8-liter engine destined for Russia. Warranties would be shorter than on regular Nissan cars, according to the report.

When reached today, Nissan had no comment on the rumors.

Datsun was Nissan's original name prior to the mid-1980s, as anyone older than 25 knows well. (Pictured above is a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan; the 240Z is the brand's most legendary offering.) During the name switch, many Nissan models carried both Nissan and Datsun badges on the back decklids.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on MSN Exhaust notes :

Report: Nissan Reviving Datsun Brand

Will a new sub-brand be sold in emerging markets?

By Clifford Atiyeh 17 hours ago

Share 557

Nissan may be reviving its former nameplate, Datsun, in 2014, if a report by the Japanese news agency Nikkei is to be believed.

The report, which did not cite sources, said that Nissan wants to create a lower-cost sub-brand to better compete in countries such as Russia, India and Indonesia. The cars would cost roughly twice that of the Indian-built Tata Nano, the world's cheapest production car, or about $6,100 at today's exchange rates.

There are even plans, according to Nikkei, of a 0.8-liter engine destined for Russia. Warranties would be shorter than on regular Nissan cars, according to the report.

When reached today, Nissan had no comment on the rumors.

Datsun was Nissan's original name prior to the mid-1980s, as anyone older than 25 knows well. (Pictured above is a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan; the 240Z is the brand's most legendary offering.) During the name switch, many Nissan models carried both Nissan and Datsun badges on the back decklids.

Has no effect on us.

Nissan has been and may still be selling under the Datsun name in other countries... so what?

I suspect Nissan has 'leaked' this to gauge public reaction to the Datsun name or it's totally bogus.... likely bogus.

I don't want more Datsuns on the road. I don't want it to be a household word. I like driving a 'rare' auto that is no longer built. It will cheapen the name I have on my 710s and you all should be thinking the same thing.

• Like 2

I have to disagree with you datzenmike about it cheapening the datsun name, I have the same situation sort of with another car I have, I own a mini, and the reaction I get from people about the car is, "You have a real one", and these cars are much rarer in the states than the datsun, all the re-emergance of the datsun name would do in my opinion, is highlight that we have "real ones", but that is just my opinion/thoughts about it.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with you datzenmike about it cheapening the datsun name, I have the same situation sort of with another car I have, I own a mini, and the reaction I get from people about the car is, "You have a real one", and these cars are much rarer in the states than the datsun, all the re-emergance of the datsun name would do in my opinion, is highlight that we have "real ones", but that is just my opinion/thoughts about it.

I agree with Wayno here, while you make a vaild point Mike, bringing back the Datsun name could get more people and companys to start taking a look at the more rarer of the cars, like the 610/710, f10 and my body style 210 and start making better aftermarket parts that will us keep them on the road. That's just my thought tho.

I see your point but lets say they produce the equivalent of a Ford Taurus or a Geo Metro or a Civic??? Some people may know the difference, but every year that passes means a new generation that never sat in the Family Datsun on trips and remembers them. I don't ever want to hear "Oh you have a Datsun.... one of those....."

I see your point but lets say they produce the equivalent of a Ford Taurus or a Geo Metro or a Civic??? Some people may know the difference, but every year that passes means a new generation that never sat in the Family Datsun on trips and remembers them. I don't ever want to hear "Oh you have a Datsun.... one of those....."

We are already there, the only people that know what it is I am driving are older people, their kids kids have not a clue what my 521 kingcab is, nor do they know that there never was a 521 kingcab, half the guys working at the "pick n pull" look at me strange when I ask about a datsun 520/21, and they click away on the computer until I finally just say, never mind, I will go look for myself.

The vancouver yard has a earlier 70 datsun roadster that is marked as a 510, they have not a clue.

But I have to say this, I have not a clue what them people are driving either, I couldn't tell you the differance between any of them from a distance, for the most part, all look the same to me, like a herd of sheep.

I remember when you could stand on the top of a building, look down, and know exactly who made what car, and that is a thing of the past, that will never return.

What I am not looking forward to hearing is, "That thing burns gas, it shouldn't be allowed on the road".

I pitched this exact scenario in a NissanSport article about 4 years ago... I gotta say that Nissan in Japan is not as shy as Nissan USA about using the Datsun name. Don't rule this out as total nonsense. There is at least a web effort in japan to show off the Datsun brand as a big part of Nissan's line.

i say that datsun died w/ us... let us walk w/ it thru the graveyard... if i see some hipster in a 2013 datsun ill die. dattos are old were old and if a youngster finds joy in a classic dat that says sumthin about that person. but no need for new ones thats just a joke..new versions dont make the old ones better. the new versions just bring a bunch of doucebags into a heart felt culture.. mpo..

i say that datsun died w/ us... let us walk w/ it thru the graveyard... if i see some hipster in a 2013 datsun ill die. dattos are old were old and if a youngster finds joy in a classic dat that says sumthin about that person. but no need for new ones thats just a joke..new versions dont make the old ones better. the new versions just bring a bunch of doucebags into a heart felt culture.. mpo..

10 4 to that!

Except for the fact that, but the rumor's statements, "Datsun" is going to be the shitty cheap brand name badge in countries that can't typically afford Nissans. Do you really want Datsun to be the Yugo of Nissan?

Except for the fact that, but the rumor's statements, "Datsun" is going to be the shitty cheap brand name badge in countries that can't typically afford Nissans. Do you really want Datsun to be the Yugo of Nissan?

I just can't see an existing company like nissan making a piece of total crap on purpose, it just doesn't make sense for them to ruin there reputation, they are proud of there vehicles.

Now if a US politician gets involved in how they are made..........................

• Like 1

A lot of things have happened and changed in 40 years. Cars and attitudes have changed. There is always and will always be a yearning for a simpler time when things were fondly remembered... the 'good old days'. A 'new' Datsun would be mostly plastic, air bag equipped, anti loc brakes, efi, GPS (because humans don't know how to read a map or figure out how to do it by themselves after 2000) and worst of all only available with CVT automatic FWD.I'm sure they could make a fine safe reliable automobile but it wouldn't be a Datsun would it? It would just be the old name on a new body.

Not sure why anyone's getting bent about them using the DATSUN name on lower priced, less well-appointed cars, they will be in fact only be using the name in emerging markets like China and India and similar countries. You'll never see any 'hipster' driving one so no chance of confusing anyone as to what we drive, basically you'll never see one of the 'new' Datsuns unless you happen to be on travel to those countries or of course see pictures of them on the internet.

Think of it this way, Nissan will likely build small cars (the Tato Nano car comes to mind) but as Nissan they're not know for building those types of cars so why not build it under the Datsun name, less risk on their Nissan brand if they are not well recieved. Makes sense to me.

As long as they do something like the tc. Make a rwd, turbo 2 door that looks like the 510, and call it the 510, and have it be rwd. Id be fine with a bunch of crap cars, as long as one decent one is made, and its a freaking 510.

Imagine this.

To save R&D and since these"emerging markets" prob dont have our safety requirements...

What if they started churning out 510s, Zs, 620s.

Imagine the parts we could get.

If they were, by some miracle to start cranking out cars off teh same old presses theyd be FI, better suspension, prolly improved safety over the datsuns of 30+ years ago. Dont get me wrong, I love working on my 620, but if they suddenly produced a KC bulletside w/fuel injection and better steering and handling, Id kinda feel like I wasted a lot of effort. Never said I wasnt lazy. And Im not saying it wouldnt be awesome.

And we digress....

• 2 weeks later...