worst motor YOU have ever pulled

saw a pic on one of the 710 threads showing a NASTY ass motor that he pulled with a blown HG...

So it got me thinking.....

Post pics of the worst looking motor you ever pulled and maybe some description to boot

Heres mine:

DDBAD7A8-7A8E-469E-866D-8E747B900462-193

i pulled this motor out of a scrap pile to use the front timing cover....

And this was the old motor in my GF's goon

561460_461851267221549_815189407_n_zps9c

and this came off it while pulling it 

F2F03049-AD2B-4174-A304-D442400C4676-216

so what have YOU pulled? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've disassembled 5-6 L motors in junkyards and three or four of my own.  Worst in a yard were only grimy on the outside with that special soot/carbon mix inside.  I did have an L28 that simply would not give up its oil pan for any amount of leverage (even with a 4' long axleshaft for extra persuasion).  I don't know what kind of adhesive was on that thing.  I helped a kid down the street from me replace the timing chain on the motor in his 720 a couple years ago and it had the worst shrapnel I've seen inside one of these engines.

blue72_720_timing_remains.jpg

I can only imagine the sheer amount of metal shavings that had circulated through it.  Still running to this day as far as I know.

• Like 2

I got a good one, need to find the pic. But you can see eyeball looking at you from the other side of the block..THROUGH THE BLOCK!  Blew the motor on purpose trying to get it up a hill to its final destination to get the motor yanked. When they took the head off after removing motor the block i guess was in 2 pieces.  Got to find the pic, its badass to see. 

ok so i havent pulled a motor....yet

but i got one thats definately post worthy.

I went to the junkyard to find a magnetic dist for my truck, i was looking for anything that could fit, i found the first willys jeep ever made, i stopped and stared at this heap of rusted metal then....meh what the hey i lift the hood and came close to taking its dist till i relized it was  a magneto not a dist as i was thinking of.

A magneto powered hardbody.....yikes.

Worst motor I ever pulled was a 225 slant from a 73 scamp. Had a nasty rod knock. When I pulled the valve cover it had a PERFECT mold of the inside of the cover in oil sludge and a case of Pennzoil in the trunk. That sucked. I still miss that car.

I've disassembled 5-6 L motors in junkyards and three or four of my own.  Worst in a yard were only grimy on the outside with that special soot/carbon mix inside.  I did have an L28 that simply would not give up its oil pan for any amount of leverage (even with a 4' long axleshaft for extra persuasion).  I don't know what kind of adhesive was on that thing.  I helped a kid down the street from me replace the timing chain on the motor in his 720 a couple years ago and it had the worst shrapnel I've seen inside one of these engines.

blue72_720_timing_remains.jpg

I can only imagine the sheer amount of metal shavings that had circulated through it.  Still running to this day as far as I know.

I actually pulled exactly the same set of broken chain guide rails out of my L16. Replaced them and it's still running, over a year now since that ^

Here's one for ya.

This was about 2 years ago. I bought a 620 without an engine on CL. Found an L-16 about 100 miles away. Guy said it was out of a 510 and of course"it was running when I pulled it" Right.... It had been sitting an a barn floor for 10 years,so the Transmission had a hole in it,the alternator was partially gone. Something in the dirt was dissolving the aluminum.  The oil pan had a little hole. And of course it was stuck. 

Took it apart to find this. The first 2 cylinders had this sand-like stuff in it and part of  exhaust valve was laying there. The first cylinder was stuck really good,but I finally got it loose.

cyl2.jpg

cyl1.jpg