1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsunfreak turned me on to a 510 Goon rear axle in the DFW area. I didn't really need it right now, but when something you will need is local and at the right price, you gotta jump on it. Got the whole rear suspension and my buddy Mat got the springs to build an ATV trailer from scratch. It's great when all the parts are used for something. Thanks DF.  :thumbup:

IMAG0676_zps9a6d9cbd.jpg

• Like 1

Now for something completely different. I haven't been able to do too much  to the car because I have been preparing for today.The Denton TX Airshow. A B-25, P-51, DC-3, Russian Hind Helicopter, T-28, Multiple T-6 & T-34, Pitts, Extra, & Giles Airshow performances. Mat and Phil brought 2 Cessna 195s. Cessna 170s, J-3 Cubs, PA-18 Super Cub on floats, Globe Swift static display. Schweitzer Helicopter rides. Glad it is finally over. 18 hour days puts the hurt on 50+ old people. Just imagine 10,000 people visiting your place of employment in one day.

IMAG0672_zps2b1489b0.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Started taking the rear clip apart. Drilling out the spot welds is easy enough, but the seam between the trunk and back glass is unfamiliar to me. On top there is no indication of a spot weld but it feels like there might be a couple on the back side. There is a glob of metal that looks like it might be lead sealing the seam. Not sure how to get the panels apart. Any advice is appreciated.

IMAG0707_zps4df8d815.jpg

IMAG0710_zps8ca912aa.jpg

Try heating it.  Brass and steel don't really mix, the brass should just be on there like a solder that you can melt off.  It looks in the picture like there are spot welds on either side of the seam that are holding still.  If you can get those, the brass should be easy enough to break loose.

• Like 1

A Dremel tool with a grinding attachment is working, just not very fast. My "heat " consists of a propane torch so It did nothing to that big Brass blob. Will try grinding as much as I can, then turn up the heat. My "new shop" where I have everything is a 30' x 10' storage unit that is a mere 30 second drive from my apartment, so the location is awesome. The storage unit has a roll up door on each end and is facing North and South so I have redneck air-conditioning. Big drawback: no electricity. My usable power tools are battery driven.  A 7.2v Dremel and a 18v cheap $20.00 Harbor Freight Drill Master drill. All my other tools have cords. Each has only one battery so the drill will run out of juice fairly quickly, but I have only exhausted the Dremel once. I go to the shop every day on my way home from work for about an hour, so these tools are working for now.

Drilled out all the visible spot welds and ground the brazing down to the bare metal. Very little brazing left in the seam. There is a lot of supporting structure under the donor panel I still need to get out of the way. The exterior seam line shows no sign of a spot weld, but on the back side of the panel I can feel what I think are a couple of spot welds, but I can't see them or access them until the supporting structure is removed. The body shop guy was right. This is a lot of work. Now to get a bottle of MAP gas.

IMAG0711_zps5f35b65d.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, time to get serious and quit working around the edges. Took ggzilla's advise and bought a FSM. It's a '71 manual, hopefully there is not that much difference between '71, '72, and '73 models. I don't have a '71 1200.....yet.

IMAG07161_zps77c894d2.jpg

• Like 1
MAPP is an acronym for methylacetylene-propadiene propane. MAPP gas is actually propane that has been modified during its refining process by adding acetylene, a flammable gas found in many welding gas-fuels. MAPP gas burns hotter than unmodified propane.

IMAG0719_zps9ccb56a4.jpg

In other words, this is really HOT SHIT! About 2000 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Propane. The instructions say it will melt your regular propane torch.

Got the test piece from the Powder Coating company today. Really pleased with the way it turned out. Trying to simulate black chrome by using a base coat of anodized silver followed by a top coat of clear black. Doesn't really look all that much like black chrome but has a really cool 2 tone effect with the edges of the letters remaining silver while the flat surfaces are a shiny black. All chrome trim will be done this way and should look really good against a killer yellow paint job.

IMAG0727_zps781d7c46.jpg

This is how it looks in direct sunlight. The 2 tone effect really stands out.

IMAG0728_zps169e6a26.jpg

Before and after in the same shot. Big difference.

DSCN2039_zpsdc523c33.jpg

Now to get a new set of badges off Ebay.