1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit! Another hole in the floor. This one is on the right rear floorboard under the factory tape and wiring harness going to the back of the car.  Don't know what kind of tape they used, but it is really tough stuff. Can't complain, the rust could have been a whole lot worse. I think I will use the rear clip to donate the metal for the floor repair.

IMAG0606_zps338c1d53.jpg

IMAG0605_zpsebc8411c.jpg

After a hell of a lot of work, the clutch master cylinder looks like a piece of jewelry. It took 2 weeks of working the casting marks out with Dremel grinding and sanding blocks, down to hand sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper followed with Flitz metal polish. The brake master cylinder will take me a month to make it come out like this. But the engine compartment will look kick ass when it is finally done.

DSCN1984_zpsb7b1992c.jpg

• Like 4

I think I have finally decided on the paint color for the Sedan. Datsunfreak got me started thinking about Yellow and I have never owned a Yellow car. It hit me a few weeks ago that since the car was purchased and lived in Amarillo TX for a long time that it really needed to be painted Amarillo ( Spanish for Yellow), then I would have a Amarillo Datsun 1200 from Amarillo. I have been looking on the internet for color charts and such but I really pay attention to the way the color looks on a vehicle. I was comparing 2 Yellow vehicles side by side and didn't really like either shades for the Sedan. The Camero was to light and loud. The Cub was too dark and has an orange tint.

IMAG0613_zps9f7d1535.jpg

Then today a PHI medivac helicopter stopped in. I really like the contrast of this Yellow and Black since all the chrome on the Sedan will be either black chrome or Black powder coated. And I can get the paint code from PHI's maint. dept. since all their birds have the same custom paint job.

IMAG0614_zps4f53c552.jpg

The Yellow paint with all the chrome black chromed or powder coated left me with a dilemma. The original tail light bezels are in way too perfect condition to mess with. I saw a set in the same condition on ebay for $400.00. Yikes!

DSCN1995_zpsa959cfa9.jpg

The Land of Oz comes through again! 3 tail lights and a pair of tail light bezels and the shipping was double the cost of the parts. Don't even need the tail lights, but

you never know when you might. And these things are really rare.

DSCN1996_zps5955bbc9.jpg

Still removing the sound deadening from the floors to see exactly what I have. Everything looked great until I get to the seam between the drivers floor and the firewall. There is a large bead of some sort of sealant along that seam. I pulled the sealant bead out in one piece and it revealed this. More RRRRRUUST! Several small rust through holes. Not as bad as under the trunk weatherstripping but bad enough to have to patch. That brings the floor rust through areas to 3.

[IMAG0621_zps8c82b2ef.jpg

IMAG0620_zps7d9296c2.jpg

You shoulda PM'd me on those tail lights...didn't I send you some pics long time ago, like around the first 5 pages of this thread?

Edit: it is possible I imagined that but I am sure it happened. B)

• Like 1

You shoulda PM'd me on those tail lights...didn't I send you some pics long time ago, like around the first 5 pages of this thread?

Edit: it is possible I imagined that but I am sure it happened. B)

You did but I wasn't thinking Yellow and Black Chrome at that point. Be it from ADD from my youth, or early onset dementia of my now 50+ years, I have come down with a moderate case of CRS ( can't remember shit). Actually had it for a really long time.

• Like 1

Maybe I got a combination of all 3. And when we were kids ADD was call "Hyperactivity". Got into trouble in the first grade because I finished the work way ahead of everyone else and had nothing to do. After lunch my "Meds" had worn off and I was basically out of control. Had a great teacher that gave me a lot of extra work so I wouldn't disrupt the class. :poke: :frantics: :hyper: :rofl: