1200 autocross project Texas

Finally!!! The rear valance is off the rear clip with very minimal damage. It only took me a month working about an hour every day that I wasn't in Childress. So about 25 hours. Never done anything like this before and had limited tools and resources, so it probably took me twice as long as the body shop would take. Must have saved at least 500 bucks in labor. Only problem is the rear valance on my Sedan is laser straight but rusted out on top. This panel is rust free, but really lumpy. Now, after I grind off the spot welds and remove the other connective tissue, I get to learn how to use an English Wheel. My buddy Phil has one in his aircraft repair shop and it is THE tool for the job.

IMAG0899_zps87fe439f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Connective tissue that needs to be removed. The rear valance was connected to the rear clip by 106 spot welds. 26 of those were not accessible to a spot weld cutter without punching holes in the donor panel. I had to use a cut off wheel and large drill bits to separate the rear valance from the rear clip. Left rear frame rail and bottom seam connection to rear valance connection.

IMAG0903_zps0353f925.jpg

IMAG09041_zps65a00aa0.jpg

IMAG0905_zpscaf21e3b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally ground off all the spot welds on the donor rear valance. Took a month working every day!

IMAG0978_zpscd05674e.jpg

Now I have to repair all the holes and other damage sustained by removing the rear valance from the donor rear clip.. The replacement panel is really beat up, and has a lot of dents and bulges that need repair. I hope the English Wheel will be enough to bring the rear valance back to as good as new!

IMAG0979_zps6b8dc25b.jpg

I finally got a couple of relatively uninterrupted hours, plenty of daylight, 3 fully charged screwdriver batteries and a couple of new spot weld cutters. Got a lot of work done. The left interior rear fender brace.

IMAG1003_zps77c7a803.jpg

Left rear trunk fender support.

IMAG1004_zpsd9737fbd.jpg

Left rear rocker panel.

IMAG1005_zpsdf98808d.jpg

• Like 1

Actually the Coupe race car is white, faded, rusty and dented. It gets to spend the winter outside after a spray down of yet to be determined patina enhancer. The only thing I might try is faded BRE stripes. Then, when the patina is right, it gets a Scotch Brite rub down and a clear coat Gas Monkey style. The credit for this idea goes to Datsunfreak. He said if my goal was to piss off Dallas yuppies in their shiny BMWs, what better way to do it than in a rough, rusty 40 year old Datsun. I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

I wore out about 20 spot weld cutters taking the Sedan rear clip apart. I worked about an hour a day after work for several months. It was a very time consuming process. Only the right rear inner fender-well remains attached to the floor. What better material to patch holes in a Datsun 1200 floor than another Datsun 1200 floor? The winters in North Texas can be harsh, but it eventually warms up to a reasonable temperature between cold blasts. Some snow, lots of wind, lots of ice. The Coupe's patina needs a couple of more winters worth of work with some help from an accelerator.

• Like 1