1200 autocross project Texas

I think the Datsun only requires 3 or 4 pounds of fuel pressure, (going from memory)

Downdrafts and SUs actually run best on 1.5-2 psi. Sidedrafts like 2.5-3, but no more. 

Most carbs have needles that shut off flow when the float bowl is full. It's easy to overcome these needles with too much psi from the pump. I'm sure that's what caused your flooding.

• Like 1
  • Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I took Morrisun's advice about cleaning out the hard fuel lines. I removed the upper hard line to fill with MEK and let it soak for a couple of days.

IMAG1081_zpsaafe5567.jpg

I didn't want to contaminate the line with any goo in the old rubber lines, so I got some new fuel line, a couple of bolts, a very small funnel and filled the hard line with MEK, sealed it up and let it set for a couple of days.

IMAG1080_zps32b74e02.jpg

After the MEK fermented in the fuel line a couple of days, I drained it into an empty water bottle. This was what was melted out of the line. I took the picture before the plastic bottle melted.

IMAG1078_zps302a0daa.jpg

Then I took a rubber tipped air nozzle and blew the line out with high pressure air on to a clean white shop towel for about 20 seconds. This is all that  came out of the line. No solids and a small amount of discolored MEK. I think the line is thoroughly clean. Now to do the same to the long, lower hard line.

IMAG1079_zpsf1f62c86.jpg

• Like 2

So, after evaluating the removal of the fuel tank, I determined that it would be much easier if the upper rear seat back was removed. The upholstery stuffing was a bit crunchy but the vinyl covering is miraculously perfect. It seemed a bit dry, but I am going to work it over with a conditioner to make it more pliable.  What is your favorite vinyl upholstery conditioner? I want to do something a little better than Armor All.

IMAG10882_zps9807bd66.jpg

It took about 5 minutes to pull the fuel tank after the seat back was removed. The fuel tank looks really good on the outside. need to get a mirror to see what the inside looks like.

IMAG1089_zps68ffe9ed.jpg

What is your favorite vinyl upholstery conditioner? I want to do something a little better than Armor All.

Was actually researching this a couple of days ago trying to deal with some crunchy vinyl on a door panel. Seems to be a consensus among the older guys that cocoa butter is good for softening up old vinyl. 

• Like 1

I never thought about cocoa butter. I was thinking saddle soap,  but I'll try damn near anything once.

Iv'e tried for the past 2 days to find someone in my area of DFW that would soak my fuel tank in a vat. All the radiator and machine shops said "We don't do fuel tanks anymore.", and I am not willing to drive 2 hours to the other side of DFW in the god awful traffic to pay someone to do a job I can do myself. I asked my gear head boss how he would clean a 40 year old fuel tank. I got a multi-step process that should address any problems.

Step 1: seal up all openings but the filler neck and get 2 gallons of MEK. Add the MEK to the tank, seal the filler neck and rotate the tank so that every interior surface gets at least 4 hours of contact time. Top, all 4 sides and finally 24 hours of contact time on the bottom. Drain and pressure wash. That addresses the varnish and other goo.

Step 2: If very much rust it found, repeat above process with 3 gallons of water and 1/2 to one gallon of Muriatic Acid and 2 lbs of nuts, bolts, washers etc... to act as an abrasive. Then I strap the tank to our aircraft tug that vibrates like a giant, diesel powered brass polisher. After a day or so of vibration, drain and pressure wash.

Step 3: Mix a water/baking soda solution to neutralize the Muriatic Acid and repeat process to make sure all surfaces are treated. Drain, pressure wash and blow dry with compressed air.

Step 4: Immediately fill tank with 2 gallons of Isopropyl Alcohol to displace any remaining water, drain and blow dry.

Last step is to dump a pint of Hammonds Fuel Additives Lubribor into the tank. Repeat the process to make sure all surfaces are coated. This is the same MIL-SPEC fuel system corrosion inhibitor that is injected into Jet-A, along with 2 other additives, to make military JP-8. This additive makes a molecular barrier on the metal so that fuel, water, crappy separated ethanol or any other contaminants, never touches the metal. No more rust! Just FYI, Hammonds Fuel Additives has a new additive called BioborEB (Ethanol Buster). It contains the corrosion inhibitor and prevents the ethanol fuel phase separation and has a fuel stabilizer. In case you can't tell by now, I was Hammonds Chemical Products Manager about 20 years ago. This project brought back long forgotten knowledge. 

And yes, these fuel additives really work as advertised.

• Like 1

Driving across town to get the tank cleaned sounds easier...   :rofl:

I know a couple of places in HEB that do it, but that's still not super close...

Sorry for my ignorance but to me HEB is a San Antonio based grocery store chain. And I REALLY hate traffic. But PM me a number and I will follow up.

DF gave me some leads on places that will vat my tank. I can do Hurst. I just need to take off work about noon. I removed the fuel tank sending unit so I could get a look at the tank interior. The sending unit gave me a good clue that I wouldn't like what I was going to find.

IMAG1091_zpsa2759433.jpg

I used an inspection mirror and a flashlight and discovered the the interior of the fuel tank looks like a rust colored topographical map. I don't know if it will be salvageable. It might disintegrate in the vat, but there is only one way to find out.  :sweat:

Actually had that happen on one of my coupe gas tanks. Had it cleaned and then was removing paint from the outside and popped a hole in it. Luckily I had a spare.

• Like 1

Used to work at a place that sold this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Hirsch-Gas-Tank-Sealer-Quart-Made-in-USA-BH-GTS-/361031719679?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Had customers that swear by it.

I have a marine fuel filter like this that I have used on many different projects that had iffy tanks without any clogging problems

1662576_zps3207d37c.jpg

• Like 2

It is an undeniable fact that 99.9% of all old Datsuns will have a ton of rust. Mine had so little that I thought the Sedan was in that .1% club. Until I open up the fuel tank. The exterior is rust free and looks great. The rust is so heavy that the tank walls can't be more than 4 or 5 molecules thick after the rust is removed. DAMN-IT!!!

Bottom of the tank.

IMAG1093_zpsb15b6ed3.jpg

Bottom and side of tank.

IMAG1094_zps2c4945f2.jpg

Bottom and end of tank.

IMAG1095_zps5ec720ad.jpg

Side of the tank at the top-bottom seam.  :angry:

IMAG1096_zpsef81d3b4.jpg[/url]

Isn't your sedan missing a goodly portion of the sheetmetal under the trunk lid seal?  

Yes, but the total amount, besides the fuel tank,  is very small compared to what I have seen in person and on this website. Your 1200 coupe is definitely in the ,1%

So by this point I am totally bummed. I have a fuel tank that is beautiful on the outside but totally Shit on the inside. Wait, that suddenly reminds me of a couple of ex-girlfriends. But I digress. I also have a rusty nasty looking fuel tank from the rear clip.

IMAG1097_zpse6f5286e.jpg

I have nothing to loose, so I opened up the nasty looking tank.

IMAG1098_zps6b4fa7b3.jpg

The interior is damn near rust free. I can't believe it. I don't need to do anything to this tank other than pressure wash it and coat the interior with corrosion inhibitor! Thanks again to Datsunfreak for hooking me up with the rear clip! :thumbup:

IMAG1099_zps17aa1d0f.jpg

• Like 1