1200 autocross project Texas

Dammit, I found rust holes in the floor. I didn't think I had any but I guess that is pretty much impossible for a 40 year old Datsun under normal storage conditions. After I took possession of the car, I noticed that the drivers seat was really tweaked. After Dad got Cancer and his health deteriorated, he had a hard time getting out of the car. He was a big guy and put a lot of pressure on the front seat to get out.I thought the seat was bent. I took out the driver's seat to more easily get to the brake and clutch pedals. I decided to pull the drivers side floor mat and found this. A rust hole next to the drivers left rear seat mount bracket. I was bummed out about the rust, but then I realized that the bracket's vertical attachments had pulled away from the attachment point. I am just now realizing how thin the metal is everywhere on a 1200. 

DSCN1944_zps4b6102b0.jpg

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The metal is actually torn on the rear of the mount.There is about a 1/4" gap between the door sill and the top attach point of the seat bracket.

DSCN1947_zpsc0e9592e.jpg

Here is a better shot of the top mounting tab and the gap between it and the door sill.

DSCN1948_zps524abfba.jpg

Sitting in the Driver's seat it felt like the seat was bent backwards and to the left. Now I know at least part of the reason. The rust hole took out the rear inboard attach point of the seat rail and the floor is deformed down probably an inch. O boy, I get to cut out and weld in a floor patch. Hopefully this will be the only one.

DSCN1950_zps5cbecc32.jpg

Never seen it on a coupe. Even the rusty ones.   :rofl:

Kerry, does your coupe have this problem? If any Texas cars do, it'd be that one...  B)

Haven't looked at the Coupe for this problem. Will check in the AM when i pick up the struts for you to look at.

I may have spoken too soon on the weatherstrips, as I am having some issues finding coupe ones.  Haven't looked at ebay yet and also need to verify the part #'s I have are for a sedan....may have to modify them.

• Like 1

I may have spoken too soon on the weatherstrips ... need to verify the part #'s I have are for a sedan....may have to modify them.

76922-H1200 WELT-SIDE WINDOW BLACK #698 (2) COUPE, SEDAN 2-DOOR

76802-H1202 WEATHERSTRIP-SIDE WINDOW RH SEDAN 2D

76803-H1202 WEATHERSTRIP-SIDE WINDOW LH SEDAN 2D

3252.jpg

76802-H180 WEATHERSTRIP-SIDE WINDOW RH COUPE

76803-H1801 WEATHERSTRIP-SIDE WINDOW LH COUPE

• Like 1

About 10 years ago I acquired a pair of front struts for my 1200 2 dr. Sedan. I Googled the part# on the strut and nothing came up. The struts are marked as follows,

Right Strut:

NISSAN

54302H1056

2Z03

AMPCO

JAPAN

Left Strut:

NISSAN

54303H1506

2Z04

AMPCO

JAPAN

I can't locate the part# anywhere. It is an Ampco strut and I can't find any rebuild kits for it. Classic garage carries a Koni wet kit for the Tokico strut for part# 56110-H1026

I assume that the kits for the Ampco and Tokico struts, especially the packing gland are not interchangeable. Any input is appreciated. I am trying to stay with the 1200 struts to keep the car as light as possible.

GG, we were talking about door vent weatherstrips

80282-H1800

80283-H1800.......for Coupe

80282-H1001

80283-H1001......for Sedan

I have the ones for the Sedan......much to my dismay :confused:

• Like 1

Here is where I screwed up. The hard brake lines would not come out of the master cylinder without a lot of penetrating oil and heat from a torch. I don't have a bench vise yet, so I took the master cylinder to my buddy Mat's aircraft shop to break the lines loose. After I got the lines off I told Mat that I was going to clean them up and paint them black. Mat said that they look good in their natural raw condition. So I started to clean them up and this is what I ended up with. Now everything else in the engine compartment is going to look like crap until I fix it. Lots of detail work ahead.

DSCN1962_zpsfd1128b1.jpg

• Like 1

They do look purty tho.

Sedan doors are a bit taller than coupe doors....and yeah the seal is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too long.

They do look purty tho.

Sedan doors are a bit taller than coupe doors....and yeah the seal is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too long.

I'm in the market for those. PM me for what you want for them if you don't want to modify. You can make a jig to put them in and cut them like a o-ring making kit.