1200 strut question

About 10 years ago I acquired a pair of front struts for my 1200 2 dr. Sedan. I Googled the part# on the strut and nothing came up. The strut is marked as follows:

Right Strut:

NISSAN

54302H1056

2Z03

AMPCO

JAPAN

Left Strut:

NISSAN

54303H1506

2Z04

AMPCO

JAPAN

I can't locate the part# anywhere. It is an Ampco strut and I can't find any rebuild kits for it. Classic garage carries a Koni wet kit for the Tokico strut for part# 56110-H1026

I assume that the kits for the Ampco and Tokico struts, especially the packing gland are not interchangeable. Any input is appreciated. I am trying to stay with the 1200 struts to keep the car as light as possible.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suspect the gland nuts are the same for all if not most Nissan struts. I've had at least three pair of struts apart and never noticed any differences. The strut tube thread and piston rod threads are all the same. Why make different rod diameters? I would look for another strut and try the gland nut from it.

strutmods020Large.jpg

I found the stock strut oil very thin and watery. I dumped it out and replaced it with thicker 20W motorcycle fork oil. Motorcycle fork oil comes in a variety of weights or thicknesses for tune ability of the bike suspension. Thicker oil is harder to push through the small holes in the valves just like a thick malted milk shake is harder to drink through a straw than a coke. I used auto trans fluid on my other 710 my wife drives, just to try it. ATF doesn't really have a standard 'weight' and varies from 8-12 W. It works just fine and cost about $8. The Belray strut oil was $17 a liter and there is enough for three struts. That's a really cheap fix for your struts. 

• Like 1

I found a $2 dental pick invaluable fro carefully removing the O ring inside. The oil bath strut valving won't come out with the O ring in place. Save and reuse it.

strutmods018Large.jpg

Refill carefully with the strut valving in place. (about 300ml) replace the O ring and instal gland nut. With the strut upright pull the strut rod out fully, turn strut upside down and compress rod back into strut. Repeat several times to expel any trapped air inside valving. Remove the gland nut and top up the strut oil 1/2" from top to allow for heat expansion.

• Like 1