1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsunfreak turned me on to this color for the Sedan.

340hp_turbocharged_MR2_by_datsunfreak.jp

I was going to go back with the original color but it is a little too bland for a project like this.

DSCN1610_zps49574649.jpg

The MR2 yellow with Pearl ghost flames halfway down the hood and front fenders, 3" drop, black Rotas with polished lips, all chrome (and I mean ALL exterior chrome except the center badge and middle vertical and horizontal bars of a Sedan grille) either powder coated or black chromed (now I need to start researching that) no more rubber door stoppers on the sides. Retain the full bumpers that are in good shape but need to be refinished. I am going to put a lot of work into this and I want it to attract attention when I take it to a car show. Original,  but a little more than original theme. You guys kept me from hacking this car to pieces to make a race car out of it and I respect your opinions. Let me know what you think. Something a little more sinister like Dimlight65's Chickenhawk.

82.JPG

It would even match Phil's Cessna 195

IMAG0446_zps8131dc58.jpg

• Like 1

The MR2 yellow with Pearl ghost flames halfway down the hood and front fenders, 3" drop, black Rotas with polished lips, all chrome (and I mean ALL exterior chrome except the center badge and middle vertical and horizontal bars of a Sedan grille) either powder coated or black chromed (now I need to start researching that) no more rubber door stoppers on the sides. Retain the full bumpers that are in good shape but need to be refinished. I am going to put a lot of work into this and I want it to attract attention when I take it to a car show. Original,  but a little more than original theme. You guys kept me from hacking this car to pieces to make a race car out of it and I respect your opinions. Let me know what you think. Something a little more sinister like Dimlight65's Chickenhawk.

I like everything you said...   :thumbup:

Except the flames.    ^_^

• Like 1

That just a stock tachometer same as was available in usa. The wiring for it is already in the 1200.

Looks like a nice one.

Key word is WAS. I have literally been looking for one of these for over 20 years. Wanted a Tach for Dad's Sedan but wanted a factory unit to complete the dash. The interior is in incredibly good shape and am restoring the interior to be completely stock.

I like everything you said...   :thumbup:

Except the flames.    ^_^

Yeah, I was thinking the ghost flames would make the original color stand out more. That yellow doesn't need any help standing out. Definitely want to black out all the chrome. I'm tired of red. Had too many red cars and black is too hot for a Texas car with no A/C

Good on you for saving it.   :thumbup:

Good on Dad for saving his Sedan grille emblem. I found it recently when going through his stuff. The paint is eroded  and it has a small nick at the 7:30 position but is otherwise in perfect condition. That's why I think it would set off a black out chrome scheme on yellow paint. This and the horizontal bar of a Sedan grille highly polished with the rest of the trim black chromed or powder coated. The red and blue bars are reversed from Datsunfreaks picture.

DSCN1911_zpscc757d40.jpg

Dad's 2 dr. Sedan rolled out into the sun for the 2nd time in 7 years. Loaded on the trailer for it's trip home.

DSCN1913_zps5db2efa0.jpg

That's the original spare tire and wheel that still holds air after 40+ years.

DSCN1915_zps92725f64.jpg

Sighted today on U S 287 Southbound between Bowie and Decatur TX. Me moving Dad's '72 1200 2 dr. Sedan from 7 years of storage in Childress TX, 230 miles to it's new home in Sanger TX for a full restoration. Dad bought the car new in '72, and I took my driver's license test at 16 years old in this car in '76. Excellent original condition. I inherited the car 15 years ago when Dad passed on and I have been waiting for this day a very long time. Single family owner since new, Time to get it done and back on the road. Laissez les bon temps rouler.

DSCN1917_zpsf04fc6a6.jpg

• Like 1

Now that the Sedan has it's nose next to the door I can really see things a lot better. I remembered why the car's floor didn't rust into oblivion like most other Datsun's. When Dad bought the car, he had the dealer undercoat the car before he took delivery. It still has about 50% coverage.

IMAG0470_zps3fdf700f.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally some progress. Clutch slave cylinder off with new cylinder standing by. Just gotta get the hose off the old cylinder and take it to the hydraulic hose store for them to make a new one. Going to replace all the rubber hoses on the whole car. Saw the brake lines on Ebay, but not the clutch hose. It fought me but thanks to Datsunfreak's advice, knowledge and the right tool for the job makes things much easier. Hopefully she will be moving under her own power next week.

IMAG0495_zpsbed3b7bf.jpg

• Like 1

thanks to Datsunfreak's advice, knowledge and the right tool for the job makes things much easier. 

Speaking of which, I should have mentioned that you should ALWAYS loosen the rubber line with it still on the car.  ^_^

FYI, the front brake line can be used for a clutch line. Only difference is that the rubber brake line is about an inch longer than the rubber clutch line.     ;)

• Like 2