1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are A-12 and A-14 Mounts different? We can fabricate anything.

FWIW, if you want to keep an OEM look, you can buy a ute crossmember from MadDat.

The later 1200 utes came with A14s from the factory so their crossmembers are already set up for the A14.  :thumbup:

Option B, if you want to minimize the amount of fab work, would be to get a crossmember from a '79-83 210. You can cut the mounting ears off of it and weld them onto the 1200 crossmember. 

• Like 1

FWIW, if you want to keep an OEM look, you can buy a ute crossmember from MadDat.

The later 1200 utes came with A14s from the factory so their crossmembers are already set up for the A14.  :thumbup:

Option B, if you want to minimize the amount of fab work, would be to get a crossmember from a '79-83 210. You can cut the mounting ears off of it and weld them onto the 1200 crossmember. 

Is that the ute crosmember MadDat  Product No - EXM1200N for an A15 conversion? I have been in contact with him when I was going to make a race car. Good products but a little pricey. But most of the time, you get what you pay for. I don't mind paying for quality. I have seen in your thread that you have purchased stuff from him. How are the shipping rates from Australia?

Is that the ute crosmember MadDat  Product No - EXM1200N for an A15 conversion?

That's the one. 

Good products but a little pricey. But most of the time, you get what you pay for. I don't mind paying for quality. 

Exactly. If you want an OEM piece that works perfect the first time, to me it's worth the money. But it's not like you can't build one using the method I described either. So spend your money or your time, your call.   ^_^

I have seen in your thread that you have purchased stuff from him. How are the shipping rates from Australia?

Pretty good, obviously depending on what you buy. I think the crossmember and motor mounts were around $35-40 to ship. Thankfully 1200 parts are VERY light weight.  B)

• Like 1

Side note, you preferably need an engine/oil pan from a 210, not a B210. The B210 uses a different pan and pickup tube.

Also, your stock 1200 pan/tube will fit an A14, but not an A15. 

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about modifying the oil pan to increase capacity like the ones' on Peter Zekert's website. Im' still going to autocross it but it will be as a hi-po resto. A "sleeper". Got maybe the last 2 factory 1200 arm rests from B Projects. It will look stock with the hood closed. Except for the wheels and tires.

Had a couple of hours to mess with the 1200 today before rushing back to Denton for late arriving aircraft.

Untouched drivers door panel.

Datsun006_zps73bedf04.jpg

Sweet! Quick wipe down with Armor All and new drivers arm rest.

Datsun007_zps01cf8c5c.jpg

Looks like a brand new arm rest. Oh wait, it is a new arm rest. Genuine Nissan NOS part. Original door panel looks pretty good too.

Datsun009_zps28cac395.jpg

Damn! Now the door handle looks like crap!

Datsun010_zpsc0e133e8.jpg

• Like 1

Somewhere, I may have a set of modified engine mounts for an A14,15 into a 1200.  They are very easy to do if you can weld. 

See here.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=A-series_Engine_Swaps

If I can find the ones I had, I can give them to you.  Warning: I haven't seen them in a very long time, though..

Somewhere, I may have a set of modified engine mounts for an A14,15 into a 1200.  They are very easy to do if you can weld. 

See here.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=A-series_Engine_Swaps

If I can find the ones I had, I can give them to you.  Warning: I haven't seen them in a very long time, though..

Duncan, Thanks for the very generous offer. Since I have decided to go with the resto route, I an going to get a late model ute cross-member for the OEM look. I still want some fender mirrors like you have on your Sunny. Those are just too cool!

My 1200's headliner is intact, still tight, with 40 years of crud and some adhesive bleed through. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and dyed using a vinyl upholstery paint/dye. I was hesitant to do anything for fear of ruining a perfectly good headliner. I still haven't been able to find a 2 dr. Sedan headliner anywhere. Coupes yes, 2 dr. Sedans no. Kelmo was gracious enough to send me his old headliner to experiment on. The headliner is in pretty good shape and not all that dirty, but dirty enough to figure out which cleaner works best on a headliner.

DSCN1488_zps868dd09c.jpg

Front of the headliner. A distinct dark line behind where the molding covered the headliner. A good place to start the elimination process.

DSCN1489_zpsddebcfe6.jpg

I have chosen 3 different cleaners for this test. SC Johnson Scrubbing Bubbles was recommended on several threads about cleaning headliners. Spartan SD-20 all purpose degreaser which we use to clean our charter aircraft. Lastly, Simple Green which was recommended on the headliner cleaning threads, and also by Ratsun members. All 3 cleaners will have a 60 second contact time before wiping off.

DSCN1490_zpsd77861c2.jpg

Johnson Scrubbing Bubbles. I could see the dirt lifting out of the the headliner like the internet thread said it would. Left a faint but distinct dark line where the molding contacted the headliner.

DSCN1491_zps085c873e.jpg

Spartan SD-20 left a distinct horizontal dark line and a dark vertical line. Couldn't really see any dirt lifting out of the vinyl. Definitely cleaned some , but not as good as scrubbing bubbles.

DSCN1496_zps195a58b9.jpg

Simple Green Rocks! No dark stripe, watched the dirt lift out. No difference in color between where the headliner was covered by the molding and where it was exposed. The difference in color in the picture is lighting, not cleaning. SD-20 is eliminated, Simple Green has the lead.

DSCN1497_zpse2240bd0.jpg

Test 2: Scrubbing Bubbles before.

DSCN1498_zpsa8c2dbf0.jpg

Scrubbing Bubbles took off most of the heavy grime but left a distinct line between where the headliner was covered with molding and was exposed.

DSCN1500_zps4503834b.jpg

Test 2: Simple Green before.

DSCN1499_zps487feff1.jpg

Simple Green blew away the grime and dirt! No color difference between the headliner covered by the molding and the exposed headliner. Any difference in color in the picture is due to lighting, not cleaning. The Winner is Simple Green! Thanks KELMO!!!

DSCN1501_zpsdcc92f24.jpg[/url]

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was rummaging around in some of my Dad's stuff in the storage building and ran across this. The center grille emblem from a Sedan. I then remembered that quite some time back, the front of the car got hit, thus the reason for the Coupe grille. I guess either the repair shop couldn't find the correct grille or didn't know the difference. I forgot about the accident because the body shop did such a good job on the repair, you couldn't tell. Now I need a Sedan grille for a correct restoration.

DSCN1502_zpsce2e7b1a.jpg

I was rummaging around in some of my Dad's stuff in the storage building and ran across this. The center grille emblem from a Sedan. I then remembered that quite some time back, the front of the car got hit, thus the reason for the Coupe grille. I guess either the repair shop couldn't find the correct grille or didn't know the difference. I forgot about the accident because the body shop did such a good job on the repair, you couldn't tell. Now I need a Sedan grille for a correct restoration.

I told you I has the grill.   B)

Also, since I am 99% sure the grill mounts are different between a sedan and a coupe, is it possible they put a coupe radiator support in the car when they fixed it? If so, you may have to get tricky with mounting the sedan grill. 

• Like 1

Just another day at the office. 101st Airborne unit spending the night in Denton TX. On the road to go practice spreading destruction and mayhem against the bad guys. 9 Blackhawks, 3 Apaches, and 2 Apache Longbows.

DSCN1505_zps5f248668.jpgT

This ain't a can o Whoop Ass, It's a whole case.

DSCN1507_zpsc6822191.jpg

• Like 5

Dude you are fuckin awesome.thank you for your service to our great country.Also cool ass picture.

I don't fly them, I just fuel them, provide ground support to keep them in the air so they can go kick ass when the need arises. We have a military fuel contract so I support a lot of military aircraft, Just not usually this many at once. Going to be in the control tower tomorrow morning to take a video of them all taking off at once.