1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the "paperwork" that no longer makes my 1200 a feasible race car. I found the original window sticker with a price of $1971.00. Plus TTL the price of a new car in 1972 is $2172.13. I have the original Window Sticker, Owners Manual, Warranty and Service Booklet, Datsun  Warranty Card with Dad's Name and Address,Clean Air System Maintenance Manual, " First year of emissions equipment", and Emissions Warranty letter from Datsun National Headquarters, Gardena CA. All documents are in like new condition except for the warranty card..Almost like Nicholas Cage in "National Treasure", without the collapsing staircase! I'll scan and post all of the documents shortly.

DSCN1419_zps9bd9c56d.jpg

• Like 2

by the way if u hack that car into a racer your gonna go to hell......no lie thats a clean car do not i repeat do not cuz racecar

Maybe I should change the name of the thread. This car is getting a resto job in no small part from responses like yours. Have a bone yard 510 to race, and I looking for a 1200 shell to build up for racing. Besides, doing the backstroke through the eternal lake of fire is not my idea of a good time.

2 things....I may know where there is a 1200 Sedan shell...its only 8 to 10 hours away from you.  I have not really looked at this car in quite some time and as I remember it is rough ( I owned it back in the late 80's), I will be seeing the owner this weekend.

Second, I may have a Sedan grille layin around somewhere.

Wait, there is a third....If you want to hit shows with it there is one coming up the first weekend in October in Williams AZ.  The only qualifiers for the show are that it is a Datsun....actually I think that is the only qualifier.  It is called the Multi-State Grand Datsun Classic

• Like 2

2 things....I may know where there is a 1200 Sedan shell...its only 8 to 10 hours away from you.  I have not really looked at this car in quite some time and as I remember it is rough ( I owned it back in the late 80's), I will be seeing the owner this weekend.

Second, I may have a Sedan grille layin around somewhere.

Wait, there is a third....If you want to hit shows with it there is one coming up the first weekend in October in Williams AZ.  The only qualifiers for the show are that it is a Datsun....actually I think that is the only qualifier.  It is called the Multi-State Grand Datsun Classic

Thanks for the info. Not ready to start hitting the shows yet. Maybe in about a year. Want it to look showroom new when I take it to a show. In the meantime, I still need a race car.

FWIW, my car is primered......and I took it twice(probably gonna be 3 times if I don't get my shit together).

Let me know about the shell. It just needs to have a straight frame and intact, but not necessarily straight roof. Would also like to have at least the front and back glass in place.

if you end up changing your mind on turning this into an autocross car, a 1200 becomes a nice driver with an a14 motor.  a14s are easy to find and a bolt in upgrade.  your car looks great, btw.

Picking up an A14 engine and transmission next weekend!

Under the driver's floor mat. Carpet coming apart, minor surface rust at the seat attachment rail. Pulled back the sound deadening rubber mats and no rust underneath. I need to know what the mats are made of because this is my resto job, everything is being replaced!

DSCN1420_zps70c60eba.jpg

Driver's floorboard

DSCN1421_zps5db4c9e3.jpg

Top of driver's door at window weather striping.

DSCN1422_zps10e9b168.jpg

Crack in driver's door.

DSCN1423_zps7b441152.jpg

Surface rust driver's A post.

DSCN1424_zpsd1a18705.jpg

Talked to the guy with the shell today.  Willing to part with it.  Thinks the windshield is cracked, I know the roof is caved quite a bit but may be fixable, don't know about the floors, it has no hood.  I have not really looked at this car in some time and neither has he(long story...handicapped, lives in a rural area).

I could go take some pics of it but it will be a couple weeks (more like 3 or 4) before I can get up to his place.  Wait a minute....this was MY first Datsun.

• Like 1

Talked to the guy with the shell today.  Willing to part with it.  Thinks the windshield is cracked, I know the roof is caved quite a bit but may be fixable, don't know about the floors, it has no hood.  I have not really looked at this car in some time and neither has he(long story...handicapped, lives in a rural area).

I could go take some pics of it but it will be a couple weeks (more like 3 or 4) before I can get up to his place.  Wait a minute....this was MY first Datsun.

I would be interested in the price and pictures of the shell. New Mexico is doable. I figured if I found a shell it would be in Cali, but that would be a stretch to pick up. If the windshield is shot then we could fab one out of Plexi. Lots of experience with that restoring antique aircraft. Going to NW Arkansas on Sat to pick up an A14 drive-line. Depending on what the appraiser says the effect on the value will be, It will go in my Dad's 1200. If non-matching numbers will greatly impact the value of the resto, then I have a spare engine and tranny that was too good a deal to pass up. Either way I will have a spare A series drive-line and we were toying with building a single place, custom design, fiberglass/aluminum body, semi-open wheel race car along the lines of a baby Lotus Seven, "If there could be such a thing as a baby Lotus Seven". Yes, we are nuts. Too many years of breathing AvGas fumes and fiberglass resin.

Everything out of the trunk. No clean up. This is exactly what I saw upon removing the spare. At first I was very concerned but on further examination and a lot of pressing and thumping, there are no holes and the spare tire well is completely intact. A little crusty and flaky, but intact. Nothing a couple of quarts of Naval Jelly and a couple layers of fiberglass mat won't fix.

DSCN1425_zpsf8e312bb.jpg

This shows the worst of the worst. The spare tire well "looks bad but really isn't that bad", and the weather strip channel that rusted away. We will cut out the bad part, build a channel out of

aluminum, attach the new channel to the rear fascia with aluminum, countersunk, flush mount aircraft rivets and finish with fiberglass. The difficult parts are the most fun when you get it right. If you didn't see this thread before looking at the repair, you would never know.

DSCN1426_zps7fb9e2ac.jpg

Left upper part of the trunk. Gas tank, shock attachment and minimal rust.

DSCN1427_zps5d4d0f14.jpg

Right side of the trunk, gas tank and charcoal canister. 1st gen. emissions control equipment.

DSCN1428_zps6a1ce359.jpg

Re-post of previous picture. The silver cylinder is an electro-mechanical servo that is probably the first Datsun electric trunk release. Dad installed this about 1974.

DSCN1395_zps1a343db4.jpg

img34925sc.jpgdrx6.jpg5624bij_20.jpeg

Sorry just stirring up shit.haha

See!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I'm afraid if I did that to my 1200 there would be an assassination attempt on me! But this is what I originally had in mind. Those are beautiful set ups. Does the Turbo A motor have individual coils for each cylinder.?

Wow, that is a really beautiful car. I am afraid that some texting college girl or soccer mom in a SUV will take out my car if driven on the street here in DFW land. I feel more comfortable taking my chances on the race track than driving on the street with 3.5 million drivers, with at least 80% of them suffering from Cranial Rectumitis. That info would be very helpful, thanks.

So it was hagertys. He had stated value coverage for $15000 he paid $120 to keep the car. Super happy with the coverage, super sad his car was smashed but he is a resilient fellow and will build a new one. :)

• Like 1

Maybe someone already posted the link to the Datsun 1200 site, but I'll do it again in case you missed it: http://datsun1200.com/modules/news/

The site is based in Oz, so it takes a bit of thought to sort out the model numbers they use for Oz Datsuns. The "Tech Wiki" is where the fun information is.

It is good to hear you are planning to restore the family heirloom car and get a 1200 shell for a race car. You are still doing what your Dad wanted, just not with the original car. Great story and project!

Len

• Like 1