1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally made it up to take pics of the Sedan.  Gonna try and PM them to you tomorrow.  Also think there is a grille stashed in the car in case the one Datsunfreak has don't work out.  Beware, this shell is a little uglier than what I remembered.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

40 year old Western Cyclone 13"x5.5" wheel. It's pretty beat up and dull.

DSCN1503_zpsccc491c9.jpg

Wow, after restoration it is too bright to use a flash. It blew out the picture. Same angle as the first picture.

DSCN1541_zps80700ea6.jpg

Different angle. Wheel leaning against the wall. Flash still blows out the picture.

DSCN1543_zps40ec3801.jpg

A good picture. About a 45 degree angle with no flash. I can't believe how bright the wheel turned out. Started with a file and 150 grit sandpaper. Followed by 220 grit sandpaper, then I soda blasted the whole thing. Front, back and inside for a like new starting point. Went on to 400, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit sandpaper. All done by hand with no blocks. My fingers hurt and lost some skin but the results were worth it. Followed up by 3 polishes with Flitz metal polish. I learned how to work aluminum years ago by dressing rock nicks out of polished aluminum aircraft propellers. Lots of masking work and trimming with an X-acto knife that took about an hour. Painted the unpolished area with high temp semi-gloss black and went over the whole thing with Dupli-Color wheel clear coat. These wheel are porous and the tires will go flat if they don't have a tube. Learned on the internet that if you paint the inside of the wheel it will seal up and not leak. I used the clear coat to paint the inside of the wheel. I will let you know if it works. Total labor time for one wheel was about 5 hours, but cost about $30.00 and have enough material to do another wheel. 4 as good as brand new wheels for $60.00 and 20 hours of labor. I am a multi-tasker. I can drink beer, watch football on TV, and restore a wheel all at the same time. It's the Ratsun way.

DSCN1545_zps0c5c3dbc.jpg[/url]

• Like 5

Woo Hoo, the rear wheel brake cylinders have arrived. One step closer to stopping and going. Was sweating the rear brakes. Thank you Ebay! I think the E brake arm is in the correct position by looking at the old Clymer repair manual. I haven't looked at the rear brakes in abut 20 years. If it is wrong, let me know.

DSCN1550_zpsd30ff6f1.jpg

• Like 1

Donor rear clip for the resto job. The weatherstrip channel in the rear clip is completely intact while my sedan's is gone. Cut and paste... err.. make that cut and weld. Thanks for the heads up Datsunfreak!

DSCN1581_zps3be2a09d.jpg

Dude! You have half a car in the bed of your truck!

DSCN1582_zps349903f6.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

However, this one is not stamped, it is cast. It came off the '72 sedan when Dad put his 1st Cav frame on the car. The 1st Cav frame stays as a tribute to my Dad. I got a front and back frame from the dealer, I got mine, so this one is yours. It weighs about a pound.

DSCN1595_zps7a1bec42.jpg

Back side of the frame.

DSCN1596_zps598afe3c.jpg[/url]

I love that! Funny I used to have that same plate ring on my tan 510. Was pissed that I forgot to take it off when I sold it. :P  

However, this one is not stamped, it is cast. It came off the '72 sedan when Dad put his 1st Cav frame on the car. The 1st Cav frame stays as a tribute to my Dad. I got a front and back frame from the dealer, I got mine, so this one is yours. It weighs about a pound.

DSCN1595_zps7a1bec42.jpg

Back side of the frame.

[/url]

• Like 1

Here is the donor's weatherstrip channel looks like. Solid with very little rust.

Datsun025_zps0b6fd8ec.jpg

Here's what the weatherstrip channel on my sedan looks like.

DSCN1391_zps6e398e04.jpg

The weatherstrip channel is the only thing I need off the rear clip. Once that is cut out, I don't need anything else off of it. What the heck do you do with half a car?

Don't know what was going on with this big hole in the left fender.

Datsun021_zps015f3de2.jpg

Ol' Blue. This thing has a lot of character. Would be a shame to send it to the crusher.

Datsun029_zps002ba061.jpg

Ol' Blue has a nice patina on the white stripes. The longer I look at it, the more I like it. After a couple of beers with my buddy that transported Ol' Blue to it's new home, I had an

Epiphany.

Datsun028_zpse9d9dca2.jpg

My buddy set down where the back seat used to be, and I knew I had to make Ol' Blue into a shop couch. 1st career was a passenger car. 2nd career was a race car. 3rd career will be a shop couch. The trunk will contain an ice cooler, a battery to power an integrated stereo system, and what ever else I can think of. If you have any suggestions let me know. The trunk lid will be mounted without springs so it will be a cover for the cool stuff. The exterior will be prepped by scotchbrite and sprayed down by a patina accelerator. After the exterior is rusty enough, it will be clear coated to freeze the look. The interior of the clip will get a nice upholstery job. It will be mounted on a frame with locking casters so it can be moved around the shop easily. Maybe I should start a separate thread for the couch.

Datsun027_zpsbf7d7b85.jpg[/url]

• Like 2