1200 autocross project Texas

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The right rear Datsun emblem looked like it was covering a lot of rust. Yep, I was right. It came off in 3 pieces.

DSCN1865_zpsae3969f9.jpg

Back of the right side emblem.

DSCN1867_zps0a15a28f.jpg

Left side rear emblem looks OK.

DSCN1868_zpsdc9a05a8.jpg

Wow, no rust, just dirt and grime. This shows 1 of the 3 very minor dents on the whole car. A little time with a hammer and dolly will make it as good as new.

DSCN1871_zps14bce2fb.jpg

Left emblem top. Right emblem with all the rust, metal and paint sticking to it, bottom. I now need to pull the emblems off the trunk lid. It looks like they must be pried off the trunk lid since there is no access to the back of the emblem. Once again, They gotta come off but I don't want to screw anything up. Any info is appreciated.

DSCN1876_zps817eb38a.jpg

• Like 1

KT,

I used what is called a bone tool (insert joke here), to remove my badges.  It is a flat tool with sort of a chisel type design only with a longer slope to the chisel part.  I would post a pic but not currently at the house.  I would look for a interior trim removal tool kit possibly harbor freight. Also a little PBlaster to soak in as the deck lid badge is held on in the same manner as the side badges using those annoying metal clamp/spring thingamajiggys

• Like 1

KT,

I used what is called a bone tool (insert joke here), to remove my badges.  It is a flat tool with sort of a chisel type design only with a longer slope to the chisel part.  I would post a pic but not currently at the house.  I would look for a interior trim removal tool kit possibly harbor freight. Also a little PBlaster to soak in as the deck lid badge is held on in the same manner as the side badges using those annoying metal clamp/spring thingamajiggys

KT,

Thanks KELMO

I would be interested in the price and pictures of the shell. New Mexico is doable. I figured if I found a shell it would be in Cali, but that would be a stretch to pick up. If the windshield is shot then we could fab one out of Plexi.

Don't use plexi, buy some Lexan, it won't crack on you. Much more durable for a little more money. :)

• Like 2

Finally, after 2 months of almost nightly work, wheel # 3 is finished for the Sedan. I would use 180,220,400,600,800,1000,1500, 2000 sandpaper then Flitz metal polish. When I got to the Flitz you could see all the low spots. For about 20 rounds of work you could barely see the bad spots at the end of the 1500 grit work. 2000 grit work the low spots showed up a little more. When I hit it with Flitz It looked like Shitz. I finally got it smooth and shiny as the other wheels. I don't have any fingerprints left. They are all sanded away! I hope wheel # 4 doesn't kick my ass the way wheel # 3 did. Wheel # 2 left, wheel # 3 right.

DSCN1884_zpsa4c50520.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

I moved the Coupe's grille home to work over. I had no attachments holding the grille to the car.  When I made the Childress trip, I checked out the attachments on the Sedan's grille. Long self tapping metal screws hold the grille on. I removed the Sedan's grille to restore it too. Dad installed the GTI badge on the Sedan's grille when I took it off my VW Golf GTI.  He was looking for a GX badge in the 80's but couldn't find one.

DSCN1894_zps336832ce.jpg

I ain't your mom, but I'd put the old grill from your sedan on the coupe, and then get a proper sedan grill for your dad's car.  :thumbup:

Sedan needs a sedan grill.   B)

13247.jpg

I agree that the Sedan will ultimately need a Sedan grille. Just need to modify the Coupe radiator support to accept a Sedan grille. At least I still have the original Sedan grille emblem that is in very good shape. Right now I just need to get the Sedan back on the road.

Redneck traction device to help broken plastic heal. The break was so warped that I couldn't physically hold it in place with my hands long enough for it to set up. Even with 5 minute epoxy. I have built many radio controlled aircraft and sometimes you have to use unconventional methods to make things work.

DSCN1896_zpscdef56c1.jpg

• Like 4