1200 autocross project Texas

Great info, but the clutch line really, really likes being attached to the cylinder. I couldn't get a line wrench on it because of the shape of the cylinder and the corners are starting to round off. Since the brake line works as a replacement, I can just toss the old parts and go back with all new stuff. Nothing has been apart on this car for at least 10 years and most everything has not been apart since new. So far everything is fighting me but I expected that. Fortunately I learned patience when my buddy and I restored a 1930 Model A Coupe when I was in high school.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of which, I should have mentioned that you should ALWAYS loosen the rubber line with it still on the car.  ^_^

FYI, the front brake line can be used for a clutch line. Only difference is that the rubber brake line is about an inch longer than the rubber clutch line.     ;)

Use a 280zx front brake line for the clutch (female-male) ~10$ and available at most autoparts stores on the shelf. The 280zx rear brake hose can be used for the 1200 front brake hose (female-female) 12" instead of 11" and also commonly available at most stores. 280zx front brake hose is also the same part number (for Napa at least) as the 1200 rear brake hose.

280zx

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Hose-Front/_/R-UBK36866_0342275351

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Hose-Left-Rear/_/R-UBK36940_0283051329

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Hose-Front/_/R-UBK36892_0342275293

• Like 2

$10.99 at the O Reilly's in Sanger TX. It was even in stock. Thanks for the help guys!!

IMAG0496_zps09400025.jpg

All new hydraulic clutch parts ready to install. Just need to re-read the instructions for adjustment before installation. Any advise on the adjustment?

IMAG0497_zpsa0adc2ea.jpg

• Like 1

$4 at rockauto

25419.jpg

Good call. Sorry, my 510/280ZX knowledge bit me in the butt there.   :rofl:

Forgot the 1200 uses a female-female brake line up front. 

Lol, I mostly remembered cause I bought a metric crapton of those hoses cheap off Rockauto as they fit damn near everything.

Dis-assembled the spare front struts that I acquired about 15 years ago. Going to soda blast and re paint them. I also did an operational check. Hardly any resistance on compression but a lot more on rebound. Datsunfreak says the strut fluid has lost it's viscosity. Time for new fluid and o-rings.

IMAG0500_zpsf0dac245.jpg

Our VP of Operations used to be a hot shot motorcycle racer and wrote for a couple of motorcycle magazines, so I asked him what his favorite motorcycle fork oil was. He said Bel-Ray makes a very good anti foam high performance fork oil at a reasonable price. He questioned the 20W viscosity saying that most fork oils are much thinner today. He also said that that a car is much heavier than a bike so it made sense. He said I can always experiment and use a different viscosity till I find what works best on my vehicle.

IMAG0511_zpse37567a2.jpg

The clutch fork boot finally came in. Much to my chagrin, I found a 2nd one I ordered years ago. Now I have 2 which is not a bad thing.

IMAG0506_zps89e53659.jpg

This is what is left of the old boot. It is like a freaking rock. Have to cut it up to remove it and I am not sure I got it all. There might be a few small chunks rattling around in the bell housing.

IMAG0512_zps79c9df39.jpg

The new boot is fighting me going back in. The main problem is I am over 50 yrs old and even with glasses my eyes can't focus on something less than a foot from my head. The solution to the problem is either a floor lift or a magnifying headband. Guess which one is in the budget.

Magnifying headband-5 bucks from harbor freight. Being able to see clearly up close in an awkward position-priceless. 4 different magnifications and even has it's own lights. Already paid for itself.

IMAG0554_zps12963553.jpg

New clutch boot installed. Took about 30 min after I could see the problem. The rubber is thicker than the opening next to the fork arm. Petroleum Jelly and a forked interior trim tool did the trick.

IMAG0553_zps40ffa90c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything still wants to put up a fight and I don't want to break anything. The clutch master cylinder finally gave up and let me take it off to reveal a nasty combination of rusty shims, bubbling paint and a generally disgusting appearance on the firewall. Just wanted to get her to move under her own power, but there is no way I will put a new master cylinder back on without addressing the problem. I now need to soak down the brake master cylinder with Nuts Off for a couple of days to get it to let go. Then I can clean up and prime the whole area so it won't rust while waiting for paint. Out with the old and in with the new.

IMAG0562_zps4bebc48c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Firewall behind the master cylinders. All the bubbling paint behind the clutch master cylinder just easily wire brushed away. Now to pull the brake line and speedometer cable, strip the paint  and address the rust in that area of the firewall and prime it. Does anyone know where a speedo grommet can be had? Ive seen about every other firewall grommet on ebay, but not the speedo grommet.

DSCN1934_zps753bc237.jpg

The hard lines going to the brake master cylinder would not give up while still attached to the car. I got them to let go from the firewall proportioning valve. Then had to persuade them loose from the old master cylinder with a liberal application of Mouse Milk and heat from a torch. Fittings attached for 42 years do not want to be separated from their life long friends. 

IMAG0578_zps7645af3b.jpg

• Like 1

Speedo cable part # 25050-H1602 from 6/70 and on (former part # 25050-H1601) the newest # is a B5050-????? (that part is in the storage unit, well the bag is...) the grommet that goes in the firewall has the # 62127-EF0100 stamped in it but that is 1 digit too long. I had to cut mine down one side to install it, but I cannot remember if it came with the cable for sure.  Lotta help I was right there eh?

Say, do you need the door vent window weatherstrips?  I think I got sedan ones by mistake.

The other KT

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Kelmo. Yes, I need the vent window weatherstrip. Every piece of rubber is getting replaced. Let me know what you want for it. I screwed up and now I have to do a really nice engine compartment. That's why I need a new speedo grommet.