Freakin old timer -_-

So I just went to the dmv after work to register my dime and turn in the release of liability to my e36 sedan I sold recently. Everything is going good I'm chatting it up with the guy behind the window because he doesn't see many people come into register a datsun and is curious about mine and its condition. Then he hits me with the uh oh. Apparently the po never non oped the car and registration was last paid in 05, so back fees are $985 and I take off more bummed than upset beause I cant pull that out of pocket and that means it will be longer until she hits the road. I'm going to get a hold of the guy because he said it was non op. I already have $ in the car so I'm not going to give it back but I feel he should pay it since his reassureance of it being non op was false and his loaded with cash or at least give me half or something to help out. Well that's it, any advice/suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with that. Do you have any documentation? Bill of sale? say anything? Tell him you're going to to small claims court.

Maybe something to check out before you buy.

I have a bill of sale but nothing stating that it was up to date with its non op. I'm going to have my buddy give me a call he helped with purchasing the car and knows the guy a lot better than I do. I'd like to think the guy will help out he's a nice guy...

California sucks.

Racecar?

Yes Cali does at times, no not a race car but it moves like one ;) the po is actually in prison so I bought it off his dad. but his business is dealing with cars so theres no reason why he shouldn't of had it up to date

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but heck - California is in need of your money - LOL

Seriously:

I think the law is that YOU (the buyer) need to get to the DMV to put it in your name within ten days of purchase, with the proper paper work.  If you bought something without the proper paper work, you took a risk that the records differ from what was said.  If you bought something with paper work you don't have the same risk, unless there is fraud.  In the case of fraud you have the paper work to defend yourself in court, if it goes that far.  Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Yea well they aint getting it I dont have it to give lol!!! It's actually been a month today since I purchased the car. Been waiting on paperwork from him that I Barley got last week -_-

Move to OR.

Whats the law there?

A real bummer. Sorry you are caught up that.

I've come to find there are a tons of vehicles in CA with this very same problem. SCARY. I found a mediocre goon rotting away in a locked yard with a lot of other classic vehicles I thought I might pick it up for a cheap price. Shot a few pics thru the fence while I was there since I couldn't find the owner.

My wife had me going to AAA Auto Club the next day with docs for her new car. Since AAA has access to DMV registration records I asked if they could supply me with the owner's contact info.  They looked it up and told me the thing  had $687 in back fees and...that  any outstanding upaid fees follows the vehicle, not the previous owner. They wouldn't provide me with any info about who owns the vehilce or their location, but I wasn't interested any more after hearing that. 

But they stated AAA and DMV will provide outstanding-back-fee info to protect potential buyers if they are specific in stating that is the only info you are looking for prior to purchasing a vehicle.

That fee is huge... That is more than I paid for my running 620 ($700) and my non running B210 ($660 delivered)...

I hope the PO helps with this one. That is rediculous that the fees follow the car. It should be a fine on the owner when they go to renew their other vehicles imo.

• Like 1
A real bummer. Sorry you are caught up that.

I've come to find there are a tons of vehicles in CA with this very same problem. SCARY. I found a mediocre goon rotting away in a locked yard with a lot of other classic vehicles I thought I might pick it up for a cheap price. Shot a few pics thru the fence while I was there since I couldn't find the owner.

My wife had me going to AAA Auto Club the next day with docs for her new car. Since AAA has access to DMV registration records I asked if they could supply me with the owner's contact info.  They looked it up and told me the thing  had $687 in back fees and...that  any outstanding upaid fees follows the vehicle, not the previous owner. They wouldn't provide me with any info about who owns the vehilce or their location, but I wasn't interested any more after hearing that. 

But they stated AAA and DMV will provide outstanding-back-fee info to protect potential buyers if they are specific in stating that is the only info you are looking for prior to purchasing a vehicle.

Freakin A man this sucks, and to top it off my mom suggested I should check this out before I bought it but I was going by the guys word and didn't bother :(

That fee is huge... That is more than I paid for my running 620 ($700) and my non running B210 ($660 delivered)...

I hope the PO helps with this one. That is rediculous that the fees follow the car. It should be a fine on the owner when they go to renew their other vehicles imo.

I agree, but it's Cali and they wan't there money so someones going to get stuck with it and in this case its me

Not registered since 04 or 05? That's 8 years already.  I thought 4 years was the magic drop-off number for being out of the system.  '

See link to DMV website  http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm

Maybe there are prev smog/registration failures? Maybe moving violations while not being registered? Parking tickets tied to it where  CA municipalities who want their $ out of it??? 

I'm totally guessing on the last one. If it is showing up something has triggered not to drop off. Could be it's more years if that's case, hope not. 

I've lived here my whole life (decades) and the state vehicle games can be horrific. I've seen and heard a lot of very wierd stories of success slipping thru the cracks that shouldn't,

and heard torturous stories of failure.

I think you're on the right path in asking about how long it typically takes and why it hasn't this specific vehicle dropped off yet. CA is always on the verge of going broke...

Maybe it's the State's policy to see if the new owner is ignorantly wiling to pay it first???  Maybe you got a newb clerk flexing his power? Try going back to another clerk?

Or if you don't want the inquiry tied to your vehicle yet, have a friend call DMV. Have him say he's considering buying a vehicle but is afraid it might have back fees owed.

He wants to know if fees follow the owner or the car. If they ask for the VIN or plate #   he can say he simply doing his due dilegence before meeting the owner with the car later.

Good or bad, the system will surely try your patience.

Good luck 

Lesson learned!  When you buy a vehicle from other than a dealer, have the person who sold you the vehicle go to the DMV with you.  Have him/her/it clear all outstanging impounds and delinquincies there on the spot before you hand over any cash.

Consequences of not doing so?  My son's truck was stolen and sold to a gullible soul.  He did a lot of work on it including a new engine, then went to the DMV.  A quick check turned up the stolen vehicle alert, the truck was confiscated, my son was notified paid the 3 day storage fee and drove home with a new engine in his truck.

• Like 1
It's a sr and a jr and on the bill of sale it states he's selling it for his son, think im screwed there....

Not if the old man has power of attorney.You might be able to bluff him easily.

If he DOESN'T have POA-he's screwed as in fraud and if he does have POA-he's liable.

I just went through this a couple months ago. The 510 I was buying hadn't been registered since '03 and it was never non-oped, but still in the DMV system.  The DMV clerk told me that everything in the system will stay in the system forever, from now on (since everything is computerized now).  This worked to my advantage, since I would have had to get it smogged, which it would have never passed with a KA installed.  If you try to bring in a car from out of state, remember that you will have to get it smogged with it's original equipment.

Know any one in Arizona? Just register it there, bypass fees, wait a year and transfer back to cali.

My sister just moved out there 2 weeks ago actually :)

Not registered since 04 or 05? That's 8 years already.  I thought 4 years was the magic drop-off number for being out of the system.  '

See link to DMV website  http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm

Maybe there are prev smog/registration failures? Maybe moving violations while not being registered? Parking tickets tied to it where  CA municipalities who want their $ out of it??? 

I'm totally guessing on the last one. If it is showing up something has triggered not to drop off. Could be it's more years if that's case, hope not. 

I've lived here my whole life (decades) and the state vehicle games can be horrific. I've seen and heard a lot of very wierd stories of success slipping thru the cracks that shouldn't,

and heard torturous stories of failure.

I think you're on the right path in asking about how long it typically takes and why it hasn't this specific vehicle dropped off yet. CA is always on the verge of going broke...

Maybe it's the State's policy to see if the new owner is ignorantly wiling to pay it first???  Maybe you got a newb clerk flexing his power? Try going back to another clerk?

Or if you don't want the inquiry tied to your vehicle yet, have a friend call DMV. Have him say he's considering buying a vehicle but is afraid it might have back fees owed.

He wants to know if fees follow the owner or the car. If they ask for the VIN or plate #   he can say he simply doing his due dilegence before meeting the owner with the car later.

Good or bad, the system will surely try your patience.

Good luck 

I'm going to see if some of the fees can be waved and go from there

Lesson learned!  When you buy a vehicle from other than a dealer, have the person who sold you the vehicle go to the DMV with you.  Have him/her/it clear all outstanging impounds and delinquincies there on the spot before you hand over any cash.

Consequences of not doing so?  My son's truck was stolen and sold to a gullible soul.  He did a lot of work on it including a new engine, then went to the DMV.  A quick check turned up the stolen vehicle alert, the truck was confiscated, my son was notified paid the 3 day storage fee and drove home with a new engine in his truck.

Yea def a lesson learned, sucks your sons truck got stolen but cool he got it back with upgrades

I think its 9 years, but you have to ask the dmv or chp.

I think it's 10 but now that I brough it back up trying to register it doesn't it start over?

Not if the old man has power of attorney.You might be able to bluff him easily.

If he DOESN'T have POA-he's screwed as in fraud and if he does have POA-he's liable.

I doubt we will have to come to this, I hope I can work something out with him

I just went through this a couple months ago. The 510 I was buying hadn't been registered since '03 and it was never non-oped, but still in the DMV system.  The DMV clerk told me that everything in the system will stay in the system forever, from now on (since everything is computerized now).  This worked to my advantage, since I would have had to get it smogged, which it would have never passed with a KA installed.  If you try to bring in a car from out of state, remember that you will have to get it smogged with it's original equipment.

Unfortunately it's a Cali car and its smog exempt, I'm going to see if I can get around this or get some stuff dropped off. I wish I got the normal lady I got when I go she helped me last time when I registered my first 510 and is always nice when I'm at her window