A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a filthy animal, get out! Haha, just kidding!

I'm putting in my KA24DE into my HLA10 within the next week. Any pointers? From my understanding no mods are necessary to the mounts, brackets, or crossmember?

Driveshaft?

Do the brake fluid resevoirs or booster get into the way?

Let me know! Thanks!

Thanks guys! I'm hoping joining up here will help get me motivated again. The car has sat like this for 3-4yrs, to many other hobbies getting in the way. you could mount the engine in with no mods, but it puts some strain on the mounts. what I did was basicaly double the thickness of the bolt surfaces on the mount brackets. once I unbury the car I can take some more pics. this also gave me some more clearance under the oil pan as well. It also has addco sway bars which clear just fine.I cant recall if I had to modify the trans cross member or not. Im using a hardbody ka trans which is shorter than a 240sx trans but longer than the dog leg. the shifter does come up in the center of the tunnel hole. A NA KA would clear the master and booster no problem.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I'm hoping joining up here will help get me motivated again. The car has sat like this for 3-4yrs, to many other hobbies getting in the way. you could mount the engine in with no mods, but it puts some strain on the mounts. what I did was basicaly double the thickness of the bolt surfaces on the mount brackets. once I unbury the car I can take some more pics. this also gave me some more clearance under the oil pan as well. It also has addco sway bars which clear just fine.I cant recall if I had to modify the trans cross member or not. Im using a hardbody ka trans which is shorter than a 240sx trans but longer than the dog leg. the shifter does come up in the center of the tunnel hole. A NA KA would clear the master and booster no problem.

The boss told you to make a thread. 

Hop to. 

Loving yours!

Even just from 2 pictures. 

I hope you realize that you have provided me more information about this swap in this short paragraph that any soul has since I bought my damn A10. Thank you for that.

....but what do you mean when you say '...but it puts some strain on the mounts." What does??

Thank again dude.

Oh. and by the way.... Pulling my L20 tomorrow to get ready for my dual cam KA. Finally got the KA in my garage about 25 mins ago. Getting very excite! Wish me luck!

If you don't mind doing some of the work yourself and learning as you go you can build a nice handling car yourself. Lowering it will improve the handling simply by lowering the center of gravity. Car tends NOT to lean over into the corners and is more stable. Being lower risks bottoming out so stiffer suspension helps and increases the roll resistance as well so doubly good. Lower a couple of inches, not talkingh about sparks on the pavement. Your car is 30+ years old now with outdated brakes so keep your eyes open for a set of '79-'83 280zx front struts. You don't need the springs for them. These are a nice upgrade for a light A10 with massive calipers and much larger vented rotors. The front brakes do 85% of the stopping anyway. The 280zx struts are also shorter so the front will be lowered as well. You can cut a coil off your front springs to increase the spring rate (stiffness)and use on the 280zx struts. The rear can likewise be lowered by the careful cutting of the rear spring to lower and stiffen it.

I like a challenge, however on less then $800 a month, I can't afford to learn to weld or fab. AZ Has no jobs open that accept non experienced people or without a certification so I'm trying to stay simple, also a lot of the older Datsun 510 troy ermine has bolt ons and not everything is fab right?

I'm looking to dip the solid axle, any suggestions?

280zx will bolt in or fabbed?

So basically any A10 is nothing but fab for everything... Fun.. I'll just bolt a ka and be done.

I like a challenge, however on less then $800 a month, I can't afford to learn to weld or fab. AZ Has no jobs open that accept non experienced people or without a certification so I'm trying to stay simple, also a lot of the older Datsun 510 troy ermine has bolt ons and not everything is fab right?

You want simple? You have an H-165 solid axle on 4 link and coil spring suspension. If going to a KA a stronger differential is not totally necessary but a prudent move. So 165 is the ring gear diameter in millimeters, about 6.5". Nissan makes an H-190 for most all trucks, that's about 7.5" and a nice upgrade as an H-190 is good for almost 300 ft pounds of torque. A good possible doner is the '82-'83 S110 (200sx) or perhaps the '78-'84 810/Maxima wagon. The S110 has coils and four link as well as rear disc brakes. The Maxima goon is drum but leaf springs. Not sure on the width, likely the S110 is closest. Not saying it's a bolt in but IRS is an insane amount of work for little gain.

tip: The '80-'81 S110 has a similar rear axle but is the same as yours an H-165 so don't get the wrong one.

You want simple? You have an H-165 solid axle on 4 link and coil spring suspension. If going to a KA a stronger differential is not totally necessary but a prudent move... A good possible doner is the '82-'83 S110 (200sx) or perhaps the '78-'84 810/Maxima wagon... tip: The '80-'81 S110 has a similar rear axle but is the same as yours an H-165 so don't get the wrong one.

What he said. Find a rear end from an early 80s 200SX with a Z22E engine (NOT Z20E!). It literally is as close to a bolt-in as it gets. It's beefier, has disc brakes, and will take just about anything you can throw at it. 

I'm looking to dip the solid axle, any suggestions?

280zx will bolt in or fabbed?

No. No. No. 

Remove the springs from the 280zx struts and your springs from your struts. 

Cut perch from your struts off. 

Your spring perch will sit on top of the 280zx's perch. 

Install the A10 springs and top hat on to 280zx struts. 

Bolt to car. Step back. Take a picture of all that win. 

You could cut the 280zx spring perch off and use 2" split collars to adjust your suspension even lower. 

Tools needed:

Basic hand tools. Cut-off wheel. Strut spring compressors. 

The cut off wheel and strut compressors can be had at HF for less than $20.