Another 620

Damn! I cant seem to keep these things from popping up! This one is a 73 stocker with a blown head gasket. It is super str8 and the price was rite $FREE:D I only looked @ her for a bit. Its either gonna be a parts truck for my Ratsun or I will drop in a L20 and a 5 speed. And dropped as low as possible of course! I will have to look it over closer when I get it home. I think I love these trucks:blink:

Cratsun003.jpg[/img]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TR3 + headgasket - canopy = sweet 620

I say clean her up and sell her, get some cash for a few of your other projects. I'm sure you have an L series head you can slap on if that one isn't flat. Its a nice and clean looking truck. Is it factory paint?

As far as I acn tell it is factory paint. The only dents are in the front valance and a little one on the front of the drivers fender. I will know more after I get it cleaned up and home. On the way home I will stop @ the carwash and power wash her. Seems to me I have seen that done somewhere b4..........Hmmmmm.........:blink: Then take out the seat and floor mat and get a look @ the floors. I do have a head. Its a W58 off of a L20. Will that work on the L16?

Well, I finally got the 73 home to start digging into it. Stopped @ the carwash and sprayed off the 3 years of pollen and grime that had built up. The paint looks good. Definitely some parts were re-painted. I was told had a blown headgaket, but no emulsification in the oil and the oil filler cap looked clean as well. So we filled her up with water and there it was! It was pouring out of the side of the block thru one of the freeze plugs. So, I got a freeze plug ordered for tomoro morn and we are gonaa stuff it in and hope that is it!:D Cleaned out the interior and found that the floor boards were in great shape:D! A little surface rust under the seat and tyhats it. I need a new seat but I have one. Check out the god-awful color of the seat and door panels:eek: Pulled the canopee off and the bed is in good shape as well. Some surface rust in the corners. Next is trying to get it running and check out the brakes. Here are some pics:cool:

Cratsun004.jpg[/img]

Cratsun010.jpg[/img]

Cratsun006.jpg[/img]

Cratsun007.jpg[/img]

Cratsun008.jpg[/img]

Cratsun009.jpg[/img]

You are getting yourself a collection of old school canopies....Did you off that nice red one you had for sale and at the Picnic???

I hate canopees! I did sell the red 79 truck a couple of weeks ago to a young kid from Marysville. He got himself one sweet ride.:D He is also on the forum. I hope he takes care of it.

incase a new freeze plug doesnt seal it if its rusted to much they make a rubber version type plug you put in and it squezzes the rubber so it might fill in any irregularities.

The motor in my 521 now was a crate motor that was sitting in NY for years then I had it for years. I went to install it and the freeze plug was rotted from the inside out. Lucky it was the driver side one I could reach. Lucky it wasnt the inner(inside front cover) or rear ones. But those could be on the thin side Hopefully you get Brass ones. But I dont know if it really makes a difference

ps I have chrome pathfinders now for 60$ to put on that truck

253 631 4226

But I have a feeling stock hubcaps(white rim) and a thin whitewall stripped tires would look great also on that truck. Shit, red wheels with the hubcaps

So what are the plans? Get her running and sell it? Some TR3, lowered with decent rims and that would be a kick ass truck!

Well, I got the motor and tranny out today. The truck is really in good shape underneath. I'm going to clean up the engine bay and put in a L20 w/A87 head ported and weber 32/36 downdraft and 5 speed tranny. Then I am going to drop it and either put on 15" Frontiers or the stockers black.:D My buddy Crazy Edd (you all mite remeber his sweet Ol' skool Ratsun) is buying my 76 Ratsun and he is going to do the body work on the 73 and prep it for paint. I really like the Datsun blue color and I think I am going to paint it that. Some bucket seats and a nice stereo and she will be ready to roll! I will post pics once I get the L20 cleaned up.

Sorry I didnt make it out to help you this weekend. The truck looks great. I will race you in my beetle as soon as I get it fired it up.:fu:

Yeah,I wouldnt roll that can o pee either. If you have another stock mani,drop it off so I can port it out for you.:cool:

edit-Oh yeah there is one here already. I will get right to work on it boss.

Sorry I didnt make it out to help you this weekend. QUOTE]

Yeah-Yeah-Yeah!:fu: I know your ol-lady has been harpin on you for years to get that p.o.s. beetle back on the road.:D Happy wife........well after that then everything else is is easy-peasy:blink: There will be a lot more work to do so get that german car done!:fu:

• 2 weeks later...

That is pretty much the stage the I am @. I took off all the trim, lites, bumpers and what not and then dropped it off @ Crazy-Edd's Ratsun Works. It will be prepped for paint and while that is going on I can get the motor and tranny, driveline, brakes, etc..etc... done. Shes gonna be cool when she is done. I will leave it the stock white color. Put on the Charcoal Frontier rims with brand new 205-60-15's and put 3" blocks on the back and take out a couple of leafs.:D I think I mite even shave the hooks!:fu:

• 2 weeks later...
If you shave the bedhooks on a 73 like that I will steal it and weld them back on and return it before daylight!:fu:

The bed hooks r GONE!:D Thanks to the Rat Tail Dragger. Its my first truck without them. After seeing one w/o up close I decided to go for it. The body wok is about half done. RTD is wokin on it and I am drinking beer and rockin the i-pod:D I did scuff the bed getting it ready for coating and I pulled all the crap from the engine bay to get it ready for paint. Now I have to scuff the floorboards and prep them for coating.

Lots of shit to do! Hope to have it done by BluLake:D

As for you Ben.........I'll roll by one day while you are @ work and put a bunch of NickleBack stickers all over your Dime:eek::fu:

BodyWork73005.jpg[/img]

BodyWork73006.jpg[/img]

BE AFRAID, VERY AFRAID :eek:(if your body gut looks like this):eek:

BodyWork73002.jpg[/img]

I am sore today!:blink: Spent last nite scraping, scouring, grinding, washing, de-greasing my bed and floorboards. Getting them ready for spray on bedliner.

KarlsJr020.jpg[/img]

KarlsJr022.jpg[/img]