serious inquiry involving duck tape

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked it up for 200 I do care about the money BC it keeps her happy and the dattos a project one of many I've liked ever since I was twelve my grandpa had one for almost ten years before the tranny blew but there are not many parts here I've called all jy within an eighty mile radius and all I can find are zs and few 720s

hey man i know there is a certain love about these cars/trucks that cannot be explained, i respect that. :sleep: we all know

you came on the site for opinions and you got them now you need to make the choice, i say if it runs strong well.... drive it

if it doesn't run well make it run and dont worry about the paint, that's not a priority (yet)

save it do not brave it!!

I did my 47 chevy truck in rattle can paint, i used the cheap stuff because I was cheap, it did not cover very well, but it did not rust anymore.

I would buy rustoleum by the quart can, and use a smooth type roller, and roll it on, it's got to be cheaper, as I used over a dozen cans of rattle paint at 3 or so dollars each, and at that time, that was cheap paint at G I Joes.

I do have to say that a 47 3/4 ton longbed chevy pickup is not a small truck, there was a lot to paint.

Duct tape will be falling off within a couple months, especially in the summer since it's not UV tolerant and it just rots. Plus it will trap water and road salt all winter. Think you have rust now?

Even painting it with house paint will last longer. A friend of mine paints his Chevy LUV (which is a bondo monster, probably 300# of bondo in it) with Walmart High Gloss Outdoor Latex paint every other year. I think he's on coat #7, he's been doing this for 15 years or so. Just get a gallon of mismix paint at Home Despot or Lowes; sometimes mis-mixed paint goes for under $5 s gallon. I buy that stuff all the time for wood projects.

Just get a gallon of mismix paint at Home Despot or Lowes; sometimes mis-mixed paint goes for under $5 s gallon. I buy that stuff all the time for wood projects.

concept applies to automotive paint too.... there are deals to be had for nice paint if you don't mind the color...

I paint my race cars for $40.00

Go to home depot, buy a gallon of rustolium and a gallin of mineral spirits..... Mix 1 part spirits to 4 parts paint and it'sspray pretty good out of a paint gun. You can get a cheap gun at harbor freight for around $15.00 and you'll have a half way decent paint job. Just sand the body nice and smooth first and knock off any loose paint, make sure it's clean before you spray.

dirt track u only got to buy mineral spirits once every fourth paint job at the mis ratio stated, but i'm sure u use it for clean up and pre wipe too?so maybe every other paint job..

.ps i would tell people to just throw the harbor gun away when finished ... not because they couldn't be cleaned and reused but because 15 dollars is cheaper then a 20 minute clean up ... lol

Yes post pics!! I'm with the wife, no duct/duck tape. I'm giving you another female opinion. DON'T DO IT!!! Rattle can it like everyone says. Tape is a ghetto ass trailer trash crappy option. Don't do that to your poor Datsun. Tape will get brittle and gooey over time especially in the heat. You don't want that. I sported sun faded paint for a while until I could afford to get mine painted nicely. On another note, who is this insurance company that has to see your car before insuring it? I've never heard of such a thing. They some fly by night operation?

Insurance companies require inspecting usually of you are

1) Insuring as a collector/vintage/historic car

or

2) Buying add-on insurance like Comprehensive or Collision, so that they have an idea of the value/condition. For example the last time I got Comprehensive, they checked the windshield for dings or cracks.  That's to avoid folks paying the $10 a year extra one time to replace an already broken windshield.  Same with Collision- they want to make sure they document condition so you can't claim damage that happened PRIOR to buying insurance.  These are extras anyway, things you certainly don't need on a car you're considering covering in duct tape.  The deductible for those is more than the car is worth.

That doesn't mean companies won't inspect anyway- some companies won't insure older cars at all, or younger drivers.  Many won't offer "Full Coverage" on anything over 8-12 year old.  And yeah, I don't think ANY would offer full coverage for a car that by description shouldn't be on the road.