Sightings 2, the not a datsun but... Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Agreed. I've never seen one there that was so overly modified it was fugly. I'm a fan of 'original is best' myself but some mods can be done in good taste. It's the ones that go overboard that can ruin a car.

I am a fan of 'original is best' also. A good friend and I restored a '30 Model A Coupe during our senior year of high school. The basketball coach was a professional Model A builder and we did it in his shop. Frame off, everything redone original. My buddy drove it while he attended Baylor University. What drives me completely crazy is seeing a Chevy LS in a '30 through '40 Ford. They are ruined. Better off going to the crusher.

To me, what can really make or break them is the wheel and tire choice. Those tall skinny(ish) tires on a steel rim always look great on those cars to me. Traditional hot rods are very cool.

i feel ya. The wrong rims and tires can ruin it. I'm not diggin those big ole wagon wheel lookin rims they're putting on vehicles these days. Keep expecting a horse to be pullin it and the gals from Little House on the Prairie in the front seat.

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Agreed. I've never seen one there that was so overly modified it was fugly. I'm a fan of 'original is best' myself but some mods can be done in good taste. It's the ones that go overboard that can ruin a car.

I am a fan of 'original is best' also. A good friend and I restored a '30 Model A Coupe during our senior year of high school. The basketball coach was a professional Model A builder and we did it in his shop. Frame off, everything redone original. My buddy drove it while he attended Baylor University. What drives me completely crazy is seeing a Chevy LS in a '30 through '40 Ford. They are ruined. Better off going to the crusher.

When I was restoring Stanley (my 210) I found some old brochures on ebay so I could see what the car looked like new. I really wanted the stock look. Plus I really dig the wheel caps. Rims and wheel caps both junkyard finds. And they're the steel ones not the stupid plastic ones (the wheel caps that is).

DSCN0551_sm.jpg

• Like 2

Spotted at work last week I got a soft spot for E30's

IMG_20140723_131540_zpszdp91yrv.jpg

Spotted on Sunday when I was doing OT. Full carbon, weighs 460 without driver, yamaha r6 motor, everything is custom and engineered by the students who are in the class and they build one every year. Believe it's a formula sae car they race in some competition against other schools, got video as well but it won't let me upload to photobucket. I was kinda mad I didn't get to drive it, they let someone who couldn't even drive stick take it out for a few laps  :angry:

IMG_20140729_211033_zpsvl8ytmzu.jpg

Then I spotted this today at work, yea it's an FRS and I don't really care for them because all everyone ever dose is put a rocket bunny kit on them and im so over that. The kit was cool the first 3x's I saw it now it just makes me want to slap some sense into the owners lol. Anyway I like this one and hope I can catch him one day and commend him on not doing the overly played rocket bunny kit

IMG_20140729_211050_zpsjylnh7fw.jpg

• Like 2

that formula SAE car program is VERY pouplar at engineering schools.

http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/

I went to WPI and they had one. They need a new chassis every year. The design team was trying to turbo a cbr600rr motor for it the year i graduated. Pretty cool project though. Try to stay under budget, get things donated, buy materials, send things out for heat treating, spend hundreds of hours playing with suspension geometry, steering geometry, understanding over / under steer and how to to to get more or less of either ect. Have to figure out what it would cost to produce too. Need to factor out things donated to you, and consider things like total inches of weld, any heat treating, anodizing, mold making ect that would need to happen. Pretty all inclusive.

I did a similar project, also sae, just offroad
http://students.sae.org/cds/bajasae/

when i did it it was limited to a 10hp honda motor, so you had to make up for the lack of power with all chassis. We ended up with a 600ish lbs, 14" travel, chromoly framed and lexan paneled 1 seater that could pull ~45mph top end and drop from 6' with a 175lb driver. Not as fast, popular, or big budgeted as the formula SAE, but it was awesomely fun.

• Like 1

Mid 60's Chevy street race truck, Childress TX. Bad cell phone pic. The hard to see, Purple, Pro Stock looking hood scoop covers a Dual Quad Tunnel Ram Manifold on a bored and stroked Big Block. Second hand info. Owner didn't want to give specifics. Small town Texas equivalent of Discovery Channel Street Outlaws.

IMAG0801_zps4825702d.jpg

mavlane.jpg

I sight this one in my backyard every day. the new wife had a '75 Comet in high school that she always wanted to replace after her sister wrecked it. 21 years later Comets and Mavericks are both pretty rare but we lucked out and found this '74 Maverick about two hours from us.

I'm convinced the 62k on the odometer is original but the 302 in it has me a bit puzzled as it has the heads and firing order of a 351. it's got some other hot rod stuff and, ummmmm, it runs. good. very good. it will make your butthole pucker up and sucker butter milk. it's a C4.

• Like 1