510 Goon IRS Swap - goin lower...

]2eDeYe

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still around, not sure who has it now though. :)

Some more pics. Not much was done under the car as of yet.

The list...

IMG_4416.jpg

Cleaned up brackets and unibody reinforcement to replace the stuff that was cut away underneath.

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

Mustache bar plates

IMG_4413.jpg

Back seat still goes right back in like stock. :thumbup:

Stupid question time.

Does this swap necessitate the removal/ changing of the factory fuel tank.

Not a big issue for me, just curious to know if the original tank can be maintained.

Keep up the pics please, your going to make my conversion a hell of a lot easier for me!

wait irs and a stock back seat ...is this for the lows or the handling....sweet ....either way im glued to the thread....i have toyed with the idea of going spudly on the front of my goon and using the coilovers in a new goon with irs.....for the handling and low....track car type stuff...

icehouse ..yeah that car was sick i remember that add was on cl for ever....there was a 4dr i think too and the pics were of them like door deep in black berrys...cool to see what happened to that car...wheres it at now...

a kid up in everett owns it and he drives it every now and then. ill post pics up with in the next couple of days.

I second that!! I wanna see 'no strut bar way', and I want somebody to pull this off and keep the backseat-cargo. IMPOSSIBLE?

Not impossible

But since the goon is getting a fuel cell grafted into the floor we decided we might as well run the coil overs up to the floor.

It will get a false floor/cargo tray so it will only lose a few inches of vertical space and you will not see the strut bar or fuel cell.

wait irs and a stock back seat ...

Yup. :thumbup:

Aw man, not a strut bar. I wanted to see them do this without going into the cargo area.

I second that!! I wanna see 'no strut bar way', and I want somebody to pull this off and keep the backseat-cargo. IMPOSSIBLE?

Not impossible

But since the goon is getting a fuel cell grafted into the floor we decided we might as well run the coil overs up to the floor.

It will get a false floor/cargo tray so it will only lose a few inches of vertical space and you will not see the strut bar or fuel cell.

As Brad says, not impossible, but it wouldn't be easy to stay out of the cargo area either. There is not a whole lot of room under the floors there and the coilovers have to be supported somehow. This will still be really tight to the floor/wheel wells and as nonintrusive as possible. Backseat is staying no problem. :)

Of, course if this were to go any lower the entire suspension would end up in the cargo area. :lol:

Stupid question time.

Does this swap necessitate the removal/ changing of the factory fuel tank.

Not a big issue for me, just curious to know if the original tank can be maintained.

Keep up the pics please, your going to make my conversion a hell of a lot easier for me!

I think you could keep the stock tank. The leaf springs take up more room in that area than the IRS stuff. I'll get another a pic from this angle today.

IMG_4226_zps7c4cfd74.jpg

Looks like the tank is not gonna a problem to me...lotta room back there. The one out of this car is already dented though.

IMG_4417.jpg

After staring under there for a while it it looks like the mustache bar mounts can stay out of the cargo area. The stock 510 one fits a lot better than the Z-car one that was in there for whatever reason. Coilovers will still be difficult to keep outta of there, needs some more staring at it.

I got a few pics of other areas of the car. It has custom control arms and the struts had the coil mounts lowered and welded.

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

Pretty in Pink!

IMG_4418.jpg

I had a feeling she was on 510 struts .... the control arms must be extended as far as they can go,, because that's amazing to fit a 15x8 -5 under stock front fenders without 280zx struts or camber plates

if she had 280zx struts, the front wheels wouldn't poke at all ... they narrow the front track width by ~3/4" on each side (and those wheels would be tucked in closer to the body,, also, stock brakes and KA24DE's are scary

#200 or #225 Coliovers on all 4 corners in a wagon would be so fun ..... #200 for a soft ride.... #225 is as stiff as anyone should ever run (especially in the back)

• Like 1

Thank you for the spring rates Indy! We were just discussing that and I was guessing around #200 but really wasn't too sure. I will relay the 280zx strut benefits as well, although I am sure it will get read here.

Crossmember is coated, but it may need some more welding on it for the upper shock mounts if all goes well. Still waiting on the coilovers though...

IMG_4423.jpg

sure.....my 24' foot oven is a little more expensive to run....i could buy this wagon once a month.... :rofl: :geek:

for some reason i couldn't see the pic for what it was ... the inside of a airplane cart for some reason.... then i seen the x member hanging .... then the elements...then ding....give them this advice stay small ... the money is in set ups like this....running the 24 footer puts alot of pressure on you to keep it full.....and with construction on its face that's 70 percent of my business...big shit ....large railing jobs, staircases, heavy manufacturing....all those things are pfftt crappy right now...and the stuff thats out there right now....jesus... spending nickels to save pennys...it s like a bidding war out there...and i refuse to undercut profit of other shops to aid customers... there's some cutthroat back and forth shit people do now to survive...we get bids ... spend weeks of the customer pitting one shop against the other to knock the price and down... i just throw up my hands and tell them .. just call me when its on its way and tell me what i can charge u...this sure as fuck aint the 90's anymore....but...worse part about the back and forth ... by the time the customer decides they have wasted two weeks of time and now the deadline is some ridiculous reality tv show build type thing... normally a two weeker they say hmmmm 2 days.....then im like hey i wasnt sitting here waiting for u to make this decision...and of course when u say ok ... but it will cost more ... then its but that wasnt in the bid.....ARRRGGGHHHH i so wanna build datsun's fer a liiving

cool ass build threads and little projects here and there outside of work that keep my mind from exploding....

so now thats its coated i should expect a ride height shot soon right... lol