510 Goon IRS Swap - goin lower...

]2eDeYe

dat is right.... u guys got me too and if i wasnt so familiar with troys goon i mighta agreed ..... troys goon is a awesome track version.....i saw a pic today of a goon that the sedan coil over mounts were grafted into the existing rear wells....looked pretty cool and semit factory...im not sure but why couldnt u make a u shaped strut bar.... one that went to the back of the seat then across....sure if u folded the seat down it would be n the way kinda....just a thought ..... all things i may employee inthe next goon....i definately will at some point own a irs goon ... these two goons are a great examples of irs in a goon.... still cant wait red eye... show me a pic at maximum lowage.....this thread makes me wanna toss my link suspension and go irs.....and to be honest when i thought about bagging a goon out back irs would be easy and u could keep it under the floor ...shocks would be tough...but the bags would be not ideal for track time...plus even bagged a lsd would be way easier to locate....

but the best part is the sick camber u could run out back nothing like using a tenth of the tire u bought...lol

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually one of the best parts of an IRS goon conversion is NOT having to run a ton of negative camber while lowering the car. When you fab in the rear crossmember, the diff easily mounts about 2-3 inches higher into the chassis than stock, allowing a lowered rear without flying the rear control arms. For proper suspension action, you want your control arms (front and rear) relatively level in the static position. Anything more than 1-2 degrees of negative camber on a street car actually makes it handle worse, while wearing out your inner tire wall. Race cars will only use up to 2-4 degrees neg. I guess I'm just too old to get the stretched tire, 10 degrees of camber look...

j cock... owned... i dont like the look either but more the true datsun people would spot the irs camber in a second....ands that would be worth it....plus just the irs goon would be worth it...

my last post did have a "lol" at the end of my camber comment troy...meaning sarcasm....

Weld a nicely gussetted lever to the top of the arms and point the shocks perpendicularly forward of the arms, over the rear crossmember...?

Man, I'm a genius.

Cantilever setup might be the way to go. The coilovers should be in tomorrow, we will be able to hold them up there and eyeball it for a while, hopefully it will be pretty straight forward.

Update. . .

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

Ride height-ish

IMG_4451.jpg

Seat fits no problamo

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

Oh ya, and the coilovers came in.

IMG_4454.jpg

Got rid of the factory sound deadener and used bedliner to coat the cargo area. Looks like the stock tank is going to get shaved and put back in. The guys are mocking up the coilover mounts now, should be no problem having the upper mount on the new crossmember.

fucking nuts man thats the tits on a boar type shit there..... why is the tank getting shaved... is it the front side closest to the irs.....so i assume the pan on the under side ofthe seat is gone now.....this would work great with my new school rear seat i am trying to do....trying to use the acura rear seat that came with the front seats i bought .....it sits way higher the the slotck lower since the acura seat has a much lower profile

fucking nuts man thats the tits on a boar type shit there..... why is the tank getting shaved... is it the front side closest to the irs.....so i assume the pan on the under side ofthe seat is gone now.....this would work great with my new school rear seat i am trying to do....trying to use the acura rear seat that came with the front seats i bought .....it sits way higher the the slotck lower since the acura seat has a much lower profile

The tank already has a rather large dent in it due to the car being lowered. Now it wil be even lower. :lol:

There was a fuel cell purchased but it would have required cutting the floor and that would be lame. The stock tank will get shaved around where the dent is, I'll get a pic this afternoon.

The pan is still on the bottom of the seat, at least they didn't remove the pan as far as I know.

ps trailer made.... you are the man.....or mans and i like your powderwork.. even if we are competition... i still respect a job well done and done right

Trailermade is my buddy Brad, him and Eric (other buddy) are Idol Rides and they are doing all the work on this thing.

Trailermade is actually the name of our (Brad, my brother and me) skateshop we had back in the day. :)

Can you guys do me a favor, since you have a stock wagon rearend layin on the floor. Can you measure the spring pads center to center, and the total outside track width drum to drum ?

I'm sure this won't be a problem as we are still tripping over that thing :rofl:

Mock up for the coil over mounts. Upper mounts are angle and the lower mounts will be made from 1/4" plate and fully boxed once welded to the control arms

IMG_4458.jpg

ps trailer made.... you are the man.....or mans and i like your powderwork.. even if we are competition... i still respect a job well done and done right

Thanks jrock. and we are definitely not competition for your big operation :)

would love to see some of your work. If you want to see more of our powder work check out our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/idol.rides.5 it has more pics than our website.

The pan is still on the bottom of the seat. In fact it still mounts to the factory position.

Both upper and lower mounts will be in double shear. The design also changed a bit more after I stopped in and dropped off the 1/4" plate. The coil overs may also need to be changed to rod ends instead of the bushings. We will see.

New upper mount, still needs radiused and trimmed a bit. It's made from a piece of 2 x 4 x 1/8 wall tubing. It will be most likely be gusseted as well.

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Here's a couple shots of the tank. It is mid shave... you can see the damage from the previous ride height. The new metal is 18 gauge. Looks like there will only be a little capacity lost.

Cut off the beat stuff.

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

Trim up some sheet metal to fit.

IMG_4463.jpg

Sooooooo with all this being said, who wants to buy a stock straight axle since all it does is sit around and leave bruises on peoples shins!

since you have a stock wagon rearend layin on the floor. Can you measure the spring pads center to center, and the total outside track width drum to drum ?