Reproduction badges from silicone moulds

The rear fenders on the 210 already have holes in them for the emblems. If they didn't I'd be using double stick tape too. Actually, the first set of emblems I made that's exactly what I did. This new batch I've been making has the pins in them.

Hey there Colourbox! I had you send me a couple 210 badges a few months ago. Forgot they were in my closet until now. I lost the little paper you put the painting instructions on (which was really nice of you to do in the first place, by the way.) Would you mind giving me a quick rundown on how you painted yours, again? I want to try to make mine look as nice as yours.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Silicone rubber is amazing for detail. 

Damn right it is- a lot of cast resin stuff made for model cars is cast in silicone rubber molds. You look at a 1:25 scale Edelbrock cylinder head for a Ford Flathead from a rubber mold and it has bolt head detail, straight, even fins, and a legible Edelbrock logo... all on an object that will fit on top of a US quarter.

Ratwagon! Long time man. Glad to see you are back at it. Did that B210 badge ever work out for you?

Oh, you may be happy to know that vegemite has replaced marmite in my 24 hour chili and fried egg sandwiches :P

• Like 1

B210 is still waiting patiently to be cast.

Funnily enough I just resurrected this project a couple of days ago and cast the wagon badge.

First one came out pretty damm fine.

Mmmmmm Vegimite, Aussie food of the gods.

Just about to head Interstate to pick up a sedan shell (10 hour round trip).

Oics of the new project and badge soon!

Nice, I'm thinking about grabbing a printer to make some custom badges then trying to mould them for better material, so still following here for more ideas :)

Good luck with the new project. Will the shell be a donor or rebuilt to a runner?

Good luck with the new project. Will the shell be a donor or rebuilt to a runner?

Full rebuild to a neat road car.

Seller called half an hour ago and asked if we could put off pickup till next Saturday.

Oh well, off to a toy and hobby show with the kids today instead (looks like some pretty cool custom hotwheels for sale).

http://www.ashow.com.au/

Trying to strip the plastic chrome off the Bluebird badge using bleach and Drano and it aint working (grrr) using method like this.

Major issues with the Datsun1600 fender emblems and their fragility still.

Frustrating times.

Nice, I'm thinking about grabbing a printer to make some custom badges then trying to mould them for better material, so still following here for more ideas :)

So this happened....still learning this though...

F6FC7376-F1CD-46FB-A338-24491147B5DD_zps

1617EF00-E50F-40AB-BA79-255E8B1BDE6B_zps

DECD2C26-DEFF-47B5-B1BA-214455461C9F_zps

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

How much for a wagoon badge to Canada?

Who are you asking?

Ive just started casting a prototype one.

Ill post a pic later today.

Probably best trying to source one from Murica as postage costs from here are, well, ridiculous!

I might need to ship you a few to be molded...   :rofl:

Please do!

Got some badges from another ratsun member a while ago and whiley are good and im grateful for the effort they made, some of them are reproductions and dont cast as well as original badges.

Full rebuild to a neat road car.

Seller called half an hour ago and asked if we could put off pickup till next Saturday.

Oh well, off to a toy and hobby show with the kids today instead (looks like some pretty cool custom hotwheels for sale).

http://www.ashow.com.au/

Trying to strip the plastic chrome off the Bluebird badge using bleach and Drano and it aint working (grrr) using method like this.

Major issues with the Datsun1600 fender emblems and their fragility still.

Frustrating times.

The chrome on the emblems is actual chrome plating and it is more durable than model kit chrome. I tried all my chrome stripping techniques on emblems and none of them work. Best bet is just to smooth out the surface as best you can and prime it with a filler type primer to smooth it out. 

The chrome on the emblems is actual chrome plating and it is more durable than model kit chrome. I tried all my chrome stripping techniques on emblems and none of them work. Best bet is just to smooth out the surface as best you can and prime it with a filler type primer to smooth it out.

Thanks, yeh found this out the hard way :(

Problem with using a high fill primer is a lot of the fine detail in the casting gets buried.

Ill persevere as their has to be a way of getting them dechromed without fucking the plastic.

I just need to be careful with what lotions I concoct! Dont want anything going bang or causing life threatening fumes as that would suck big time !

Probably best trying to source one from Murica as postage costs from here are, well, ridiculous!

I didn't think a badge in an envelope with some cardboard "protection" would cost that much, its for an a10 so original is no big deal, some a10 stanza pieces for my sedans would interest me as well and those I def cannot find here.

• 2 months later...

Trying something new, effectively pewter casting. Need a better mold agent, this was a try with liquid graphite, I'm going to give talc a try next. Hopefully this should get rid of the golf ball effect.

86816EAF-64F1-40C7-AC1B-C9B8938A61C2_zps