Reproduction badges from silicone moulds

Ok, tried some methods to sand/polish one of the guard badges.

Got a bit ham fisted, and the badge broke so I've done a repour with the casting using a mix including Aluminium powder.

It's getting a bit colder here so I'll probably leave these casts for two days before starting to polish.

16e5ec4fb2d34066c6229eb1e7cee1c5_zps922f

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done another pour and this time used Dguys suggestion of pieces of wire embedded into the back of the casting.

Form a rigidity perspective it feels better, although time of course will tell.

Given it a coat of poor mans spray chrome which may also help bind the whole thing together.

fbbd0e80359b8354cc1ae050792c93de_zpsaf5e

The polishing of the Aluminium mix badge is going slowly.

I used slightly less powder in this mix which may cause a different result.

I'm starting with 2000 grade sandpaper and then using buffing blocks form a knife sharpening system I have (it's call "wicked edge if anyone's interested). Block is in the right side of the below picture.

The paper grades start at 40 microns and go down to 3 microns (think über fine).

12 micron paper is generally enough to get a mirror edge on a steel blade, so, Aluminium content of the badge being a factor, I'm hoping for similar results.

Just need to stop breaking them when I'm polishing :)

2ace4b703bb6f296e782c4a74f5f162a_zps9b7e

Good luck ratwagon. Once you get it down you can make me some badges for the B210. And send some vegemite along with it :P

Thanks.

This has been a labour of love trying to get it right.

I think I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel (so to speak).

Vegimite, an Aussie favorite. It's made form the same stuff that's in beer so it's got to be good!

8da982175369eae06a9702bf09de7a0f_zpsc902

Are you chasing the B210 badges specifically?

Haven't seen either of them down here.

Having said that, if someone wants to send me them, I'm happy to make moulds (hint, hint Tristin, SSS grill badge)

Only issue with mould making process I've found is, to get an effective mould (in the case of painted badges) they need to be stripped back to the if chrome.

The quality of the mould, and the subsequent cast also depends on the original badge quality of course.

I have one of those datsun B210 badges with the tabs broken off of the back. Not sure what postage would be but if it isn't crazy I wouldn't mind sending it out to you so you can get a mould of it :)

I have one of those datsun B210 badges with the tabs broken off of the back. Not sure what postage would be but if it isn't crazy I wouldn't mind sending it out to you so you can get a mould of it :)

PM on its way.

Doesn't mean I have got a set of moulds though :)

Good point.

The only reason I never went forward with spending much time casting those is the badges are neither rare nor expensive.  You can get 120Y and B210 badges in really good shape off Ebay for $20 all day long, and many times much cheaper than that. Most of the time in Calif. I get them out of the junkyard for 2-3$. Literally not worth reproducing.

Is there much of an interest in the B210 badge in Aus?  I have a NOS set that would make very clean molds, I just felt it wasn't worth the silicone cost.

Is there much of an interest in the B210 badge in Aus?  I have a NOS set that would make very clean molds, I just felt it wasn't worth the silicone cost.

Not sure about the interest for these on a wider scale, for me it's more about making something different.

The high demand badges here are the Aussie 510 (Datsun 1600) fender emblems, the USA 510 badge that sits on the rear of the sedan, the goon "wagon" badge and the 510 SSS grille and pillar vent badge.

Sadly, I've only got the Aussie fender badge and Ive been a bit lazy in trying to source the other badges I really want to make moulds of.

Having said that, if anyone wants to send me any of the above treasures on a short term loan basis I would be a happy camper :)

This is one of the badges I'm chasing.

Price seems reasonable. Has anyone bought stuff off him?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-bluebird-510-610-710-emblem-1600-SSS-1600SSS-Badge-Metal-36-REF-A6-/300874448584

If you can't find one I've got a mold for that and the 1800 version. 510keeper loaned me a whole bunch of rare ones to copy. I've just been been super lazy in sending out those ones we pmd about (basically I keep collecting more).

If you can't find one I've got a mold for that and the 1800 version. 510keeper loaned me a whole bunch of rare ones to copy. I've just been been super lazy in sending out those ones we pmd about (basically I keep collecting more).

Lazy I understand :)

My problem is I keep going off on different tangents.

Badge making interest has been revitalized so this is what I'll be putting my time into in the coming months (and getting the goon into the shed to start the roll age and IRS fitting).

Lazy I understand :)

My problem is I keep going off on different tangents.

Badge making interest has been revitalized so this is what I'll be putting my time into in the coming months (and getting the goon into the shed to start the roll age and IRS fitting).

Check your pm dude B)

Yea Dguy210, I have seen the B210 and 120y ones you made. They look great :thumbup:

I just figured radwagon might want more moulds and things to practice with :)

On a side note I can't find any photos of the badges I want for my B210 once I start getting the JDM parts. the 1200 wiki has some pics, but none of the sunny gx-t badges. I kinda like the coupes Sunny badges:

th_sunnybadge.jpg

I just don't like the idea of going with the 120Y badges. 

• 2 weeks later...

A package arrived today from Cali.

Thumbs up to Dguy210 for making the effort !!!

I've now got some badges we didn't get here or were uber rare.

Now I can start making moulds.

Problem I have is, with my new found interest in the Goon, propensity to drink bourbon, and all the other distractions, where do I start :)

2f326984f748d175921ba545549f83ab_zpsd982

Edit, the 1600 SSS badge is faptastic :)

DGuy210... I like the packing you sent down under. Are you selling those 1600/1600 SSS badges? Id like I pair for a project. If you dont have an extra set, Id be willing to rent them from you. Im not looking to do anything destructive to them. 

DGuy210... I like the packing you sent down under. Are you selling those 1600/1600 SSS badges? Id like I pair for a project. If you dont have an extra set, Id be willing to rent them from you. Im not looking to do anything destructive to them. 

The original badge was a loaner.  I have the mold, but I haven't made any other casts from it yet. I've been super busy with two big project deadlines for work , June 3rd and 12th :frantics: , and this takes a backseat to that. As it is I really shouldn't be going to Canby, but I'm going to anyways.  I'm hoping to get some stuff cast a couple of days before Canby to bring along but that is really up in the air at this point.