Reproduction badges from silicone moulds

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Im no rush... Ive been offered another set it seems and may take that up if you dont ever get around to casting more. Just wanted to see if you had a few floating around to chuck in an envelope. 

If you can get originals go for that, the sss badges are a righteous bitch to paint.  If I don't get more made before Canby I will by July.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I told you that badge was bad :P

I hope you can get a decent mold from it when it is striped. Still looking forward to seeing what you are able to do with these badges.

It's going to make a great! mould.

Trip to the fibreglass supply shop on the cards tomorrow to get some more of the mould casting silicone.

Thanks!

i happened to get a package as well from Dguy210 it contained these

8CE619F1-orig_zps9ebcccf2.jpg

they look great when he said high rate of failure i thought there would be more flaws but all ive seen is a few bubbles here and there i look forward to cleaning these up and putting them on the car 

i happened to get a package as well from Dguy210 it contained these

8CE619F1-orig_zps9ebcccf2.jpg

they look great when he said high rate of failure i thought there would be more flaws but all ive seen is a few bubbles here and there i look forward to cleaning these up and putting them on the car

Nice!

I keep forgetting with the badges I make that no one is going to be looking at them from a foot away.

I've thrown out a few which were, in hindsight, keepers.

Oh well, what the hell.

Making the mould for the 1600SSS badge today.

Über, über rare here!

Looking for an original? My friend has a fairlady maybe I can borrow one of his to try and copy. 

I was thinking of buying a NOS one off ebay to copy but... was just hoping someone here would start pumping them out. Much easier lol. 

Looking for an original? My friend has a fairlady maybe I can borrow one of his to try and copy. 

I was thinking of buying a NOS one off ebay to copy but... was just hoping someone here would start pumping them out. Much easier lol.

Doesn't have to be an original.

I could buy one.

Guess I'm just being a cheapskate :)

Silicone rubber is amazing for detail. I've been in the sculpture trade for about 18 years.

Bronze or brass would be sick. I'm curious about pot metel too. Resin isn't the best for U.V.. It has a mind of it's own.

• 2 weeks later...

In between Family, IRS for the goon, Tshirt project, and a heap of other stuff I thought I'd update this thread.

Haven't cleaned my main workbench, or the bench I use to cast the badges for over a month!

Anyhow, some clear bench space to pile some more crap on, and, casting surface ready to do the next badge which will be the (mega unobtainable here) Bluebird badge.

a3fa0719be91b69055feaf2eb9c4e884_zps3930

16ca02fefec24896313e6c3826fa9dbd_zpsae5b

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had emblems printed on a 3D printer. They're nice but because it prints line by line basically your print isn't smooth so you have to sand it down. It cost me $60 for two. I've recently had my uncle help me make a mould of a good emblem I found complete with pins in the back for pushing into the fender. Two part moulds can be annoying until you get the hang of it. Damn bubbles! The other thing with the moulds is that they get dry after so many castings and your castings don't turn out as well so you have to make yourself a few moulds. For about $20 you can get the plastic casting resin and make 30+ sets of emblems so it's pretty cost effective. The mould material is a bit more but not much. If someone's already mentioned this sorry. I didn't feel like reading through all them postings.....but I'm making the attempt.

A63C8897-2AA6-4C71-85D4-CC6E5F40B0B5_zps

386A632A-6C8D-4874-8E4B-196AD118882F_zps

E2D26578-C45F-45D6-9708-E8F4CDF6CB70_zps

• Like 2

Oh and I might add that you can get dye to put in your casting resin. I used black so all I'd have to do is paint the letters. Just know that when you use a dye it takes a little longer for your resin to set. Just let it sit over night and it won't be so soft anymore. They say you can put it in the oven for a few minutes to harden it but don't. Just leave it over night and it'll be fine.

And the reason my 3D print was so cheap is because I made the file to print myself. They wanted $100 which is insane especially since I was already supplying them the outline file. It literally took less than a minute to extrude the file in Maya and make it 3D for printing. Of course it took me a week to figure it out cause I've never used Maya, LOL.

I haven't tried any other casting materials aside from plastic but I do want to experiment more.

The rear fenders on the 210 already have holes in them for the emblems. If they didn't I'd be using double stick tape too. Actually, the first set of emblems I made that's exactly what I did. This new batch I've been making has the pins in them.