Reproduction badges from silicone moulds

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Still !Haven't got the vacumn chamber finished :(

The 1600 fender emblems are the ones I'm really keen on getting done.

A comparison shot of the premoulded badge, and one of the repros with the supposed chrome spray that matches the lid (like fuck!)

I'll bead blast the repro badge when it's dry and repaint it.

I did get a little bit heavy handed with the paint to so may airbrush the next one and see if it gives a flatter finish.

It's still bloody cold here so the weather really isn't good for painting.

Cheers

528d9091c35962086ef8fee8f07138b3.jpg

I mix in a plastic ziplock style bag, sealed with the two part components and minimal air. I then knead the mix well with my fingers without introducing more bubbles. When the silicone color is even and mixed completely I then cut a very tiny part of the corner of the bag off and pour a very thin stream from a good height onto the part working from the corner of the mold box out trying to chase any potential air bubbles.

Thanks, forgot to say, given my vacumn chamber is becoming a job that's probably going to take my slack arse another week to finish, I'll give this method a try.

Cheers

Jason

Picked up a different resin today, about twice the price as the polyester resin. Supposedly sets faster and is much stronger. I'll run some castings tonight.

I will still need to go get some more silicone though.

Also picked up another badge to repo:

violet.jpg

where did you get that!? I muuuust haaaaaaaaaaave

where did you get that!? I muuuust haaaaaaaaaaave

I believe it was just purchased on ebay. ...I remember because I was the second-highest bidder.

(no worries though- I just found a second badge for my car on yahoo Japan auctions.)

I believe it was just purchased on ebay. ...I remember because I was the second-highest bidder.

(no worries though- I just found a second badge for my car on yahoo Japan auctions.)

Yep, although I missed out on the 120Y badge by 1 freaking penny.

My goals here are to be able to reproduce a set of badges for the 610, 710, and B210. Since I suck at painting these will probably be sold as the natural color of the resin.

Yep, although I missed out on the 120Y badge by 1 freaking penny.

My goals here are to be able to reproduce a set of badges for the 610, 710, and B210. Since I suck at painting these will probably be sold as the natural color of the resin.

I have a 120Y badge from a Finnish junkyard that I could loan you for the project. It is the size of one of the big "Datsun B210GX" badges that were on the side of the hatchbacks.

I have a 120Y badge from a Finnish junkyard that I could loan you for the project. It is the size of one of the big "Datsun B210GX" badges that were on the side of the hatchbacks.

Thanks but I actually have one already, those things are freaking gigantic BTW. There are actually several different 120Y badges, and at least two variants I know of the circular 120Y badge like I posted earlier. I'd like to eventually get the badge that mounts where the license plate goes on the US models, and the alternate side badge with 120Y as large letters but without the circle. I also just like collecting Datsun badges anyway too.

Looks good!

First casting came out ok though I wasn't 100% happy with it so it's been scrapped and repoured.

Going to the fibreglass shop today to look at carbon fibre matting.

Slightly off topic but going to play with some wet layup carbon fibre bits as well.

I'll start a separate thread when I do.

thats my specialty. I'm a composites fabricator. hit me up when u have questions.

thats my specialty. I'm a composites fabricator. hit me up when u have questions.

Thanks, will do.

The carbon fibre stuff is on hold for about a month till my play money account recovers from the beating I have given it recently.

Cheers

Jason

have you played with using vibration to help extract bubbles in addition to vacuum?

Not yet, but, have looked at using my ultrasonic cleaner to rest the mould on.

1b973bde.jpg

I'm doing another pour today and my plan is to rest the mould on the basket ( obviously not in the cleaning fluid) and let it vibrate it's little heart out for a while.

Still! Haven't finished my vacumn chamber and must pull my finger out on this!!

I'm hoping a decent amount of time on the ultrasonics cleaner might vibrate the mixture enough to assist any air bubbles to escape.

Today's experiment will hopefully tell if this idea will work.

Thanks

Jason

have you played with using vibration to help extract bubbles in addition to vacuum?

i tried sitting some mixed epoxy on a vibrating rock tumbler and it didn't do much. I'm not sure about using one for silicone, it is a lot thicker and maybe it would work better (like vibrating cement) i don't know i'm an artist not a physicist. I've never tried an ultrasonic cleaner but i heard they work really well. I'm thinking if you combine it with a penis pump chamber (haha) you can't go wrong.

composites fabricator huh? cool stuff. i am terrible when it comes to fibers. i did make a denim knife blade once though!

Well, not a lot happening on the badge making front!

It snowed here yesterday! Which sort of put me off doing too much.

Today slightly warmer, but, not by much.

Fender/ guard badge mould finished and poured.

12c6c2b6c9b7e99283214e05d1cee35d.jpg

Used the ultrasonic cleaner for about half an hour to "vibrate the mix".

2e75e7039524aa4e2659ba1c51ee7a4c.jpg

Photo above halfway through the pour.

No idea how this will turn out but I am cautiously optimistic!

180B SSS vent badge bead blasted.

483c39d59ff9dc1af0ee2c1ee0da6b14.jpg

And painted again with the supposedly chrome paint.

9d12bf82f4c989a2bf65cc08959b9c46.jpg

Looks much better in real life.

More photos tomorrow!

• Like 1

The bead blasting did wonders for that! Very nice job. Bet the paint sticks like a fiend now.

I've been collecting the parts recently to made a MendelMax and see what I can come up with from there.

IMG_1657.JPG

I am curious about casting epoxy and making silicone molds as well. I was looking at the MAX CLR system and found a 1.5gal kit on ebay for about $90 after shipping. Seem like a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-CASTING-IMBEDDING-1-5-GAL-KIT-/220350141369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334de453b9#ht_40561wt_1300

Also, what kind of mold making material would you suggest?

I am curious about casting epoxy and making silicone molds as well. I was looking at the MAX CLR system and found a 1.5gal kit on ebay for about $90 after shipping. Seem like a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/...ht_40561wt_1300

That's the stuff i have right now, i ordered it from the same ebay page. It is the best epoxy i've used and i went through about 10 different brands. It comes with ALL of the technical data you need to work with it safely (seriously the stuff you get at hardware stores doesn't come with enough information). They also have all of those videos on the ebay page on how to use it, i'd say go for it.

*actually i learned more from the videos on that polymerproducts ebay page than i did in two years of mixed media sculpture classes in college.

The bead blasting did wonders for that! Very nice job. Bet the paint sticks like a fiend now.

I've been collecting the parts recently to made a MendelMax and see what I can come up with from there.

IMG_1657.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-CASTING-IMBEDDING-1-5-GAL-KIT-/220350141369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334de453b9#ht_40561wt_1300

Also, what kind of mold making material would you suggest?

Oh, 3d printer ( Homer Simpson drool here), must buy one!

The stuff I use for my moulds is a Silicone rubber, sourced from a local supplier and I believe manufactured here.

The casting agents is a fibreglass casting resin.

The eBay stuff looks good and the price is certainly good.

I'll be having a good look at their videos as well.

Oops, badge mould lifted slightly during moulding process!

ae6c559f390f73ed67c8bc34197d7d42.jpg

Never mind, will be repoured tomorrow after making a few mould modifications ( this is a learning experience after all).

Finished the first coat of paint ( more to do).

Should come up ok once I finish painting it.

c0b46f1d80e2509ef2b39bc07f37a8d6.jpg

• Like 1

Oops, badge mould lifted slightly during moulding process!

Never mind, will be repoured tomorrow after making a few mould modifications ( this is a learning experience after all).

Finished the first coat of paint ( more to do).

Should come up ok once I finish painting it.

Paint job looks good! Try using a base of very flat modeling clay (roll or press flat) to push the badge pins into, will help give a flat surface for the pour. I found the thin badges like the Datsun require some finesse due to the thinness of the letters. Be careful when pouring the resin as to not over flow, or you will need to cut it off the back of the letters. Not a big deal with badges like the SSS badge but the script molds seem to be slightly more difficult.

Oh, 3d printer ( Homer Simpson drool here), must buy one!

The stuff I use for my moulds is a Silicone rubber, sourced from a local supplier and I believe manufactured here.

The casting agents is a fibreglass casting resin.

The eBay stuff looks good and the price is certainly good.

I'll be having a good look at their videos as well.

Can you suggest a good silicone supplier?

Can you suggest a good silicone supplier?

I believe there is a Tap plastic in Portland. If you haven't gone you really should, besides mold making stuff, they have fiberglass and CF goodies, and tons of plastic (of course) including a by the pound scrapbin (at least the Cali ones do). I'm a very big fan.