Rice Wagon - VG33 510 wagon project

I haven't been making enough progress for Jeff so he decided to push the issue and come help me start the wiring:

04022013_wiring_day_1_.JPG

We disassembled the engine bay wiring harness to start cleaning it up but found it was pretty hacked so I found a better one in one of my bins and we are using that instead.  He's pulling out all the junk that won't be needed.  The car had some kind of H4 wiring "upgrade" by the PO but one of the headlights caught fire so we will be going back to the factory wiring thank you very much.

While Jeff strarted taping up the simplified harness, I started stripping the VG33 harness to get it ready for integration.

04022013_wiring_day_2_.JPG 

We got a good start on it anyway.  Still lots to do...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The plug comes off pretty easily if done the easy way.  I usually end up pulling the spring clip out.....not the easy way.  I'm pretty sure you can just squeeze the spring clip in on the sides to make that top, recessed section bow up and release the catch underneath it.

• 1 month later...

My attention has been elsewhere for a while but I did pick up a black rear seat today, and I assembled a set of front seats as well.  The passengers side is a little ratty.  I just pulled it out of one of my other cars.  It'll do for now.

05232013_rice_wagon_seats_1_.JPG

05232013_rice_wagon_seats_2_.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

More questions:

The crank pulley has room for three belts:

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_1

It appears that the alternator I have lines up with the middle section and uses a grooved belt:

What would the V-belt be used for?  AC?  How about the forward belt?  Power Steering?

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_2

I don't know if the alternator I have is the one that came with the motor but it seems to fit here okay.

This looks like a really tight fit with the radiator outlet though.  I see a lot of VG30's with the alternator mounted on the opposite side of the motor.  Can that still be done on the VG33? 

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_3

It would be nice to dig it out of this hole (it's always a pain on an L-motor 510) - especially since I will still be running the battery in the stock location.

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_5

Lots of room on the opposite side.  I'll have to check a couple of my VG30 blocks and see if they have mounts that I can test fit.

What is the sensor in this picture with the blue connector?

rice_wagon_vg33_03232013_2_.JPG

I realized my planned replacement manifold does not have it.

Something I can safely ignore?

That's a coolant temperature sensor. You should look in the wiring diagram for your donor injection and see if that one is for the gauge or the ECU. There are many water necks with various temp sensor ports to choose from if you'd rather run the sensor there. I can also swap you for an angle milled lower that has the sensor port if you need it.

More questions:

The crank pulley has room for three belts:

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_1

It appears that the alternator I have lines up with the middle section and uses a grooved belt:

What would the V-belt be used for?  AC?  How about the forward belt?  Power Steering?

I don't know if the alternator I have is the one that came with the motor but it seems to fit here okay.

This looks like a really tight fit with the radiator outlet though.  I see a lot of VG30's with the alternator mounted on the opposite side of the motor.  Can that still be done on the VG33? 

rice_wagon_plumbing_questions_04132013_3

It would be nice to dig it out of this hole (it's always a pain on an L-motor 510) - especially since I will still be running the battery in the stock location.

Lots of room on the opposite side.  I'll have to check a couple of my VG30 blocks and see if they have mous that I can test fit.

The other two grooves on your harmonic balancer/crank pulley are for A/C and power steering. There is a molded Napa hose that fits with that radiator and the alternator on the passenger's side when hung from a modified Z31 mount. Ray Stonehocker figured it out. I have the part number... somewhere. The thing that works best to mount the alternator (if the pulleys line up in your case) is to cut down the combo A/C and alternator bracket from a Z31. It ends up being a piece only about 3" tall and while it was originally on the driver's side flipping it to the passenger's hangs the alternator with the adjuster on the bottom and one of the stock tensioner brackets works (on a VG30) though I don't recall which one at this moment. You can run the alternator on the driver's side but you'll have to modify your wiring harness to suit. Also, there isn't as much room on that side with the VG33 as the oil filter mount keeps the alternator from being able to swing in as close to the block. The Xterra filter mount gives the most room. When swapping a VG33 into an early Pathy or Z31 we use the Xterra filter mount and have to extend the stock tensioner bracket 1-1/2" so there is enough adjustment range and offset it .300" rearward as the VG33's oil pump is also thicker. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little time to play on the wagon this weekend.  So I put on some tunes:

garage_music_06152013.JPG

Pulled out the red back seat

rice_wagon_interior_06152013_2_.JPG

Replaced it with the new black one I bought

rice_wagon_interior_06152013_3_.JPG

Cleaned up the floor really well and started wto install the carpet. 

rice_wagon_interior_06152013_9_.JPG

I had to repair the rust under the gas pedal in front so I left out the front carpet while that was going on.  I will be able to finish this next time I'm out there.  I also replaced the missing rear door sill plates.  Now I need to go through my stack of door panels and see if I have a set in black.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some time to play in the garage today so in the with music

06292013_garage_music.JPG

And in with the rest of the carpet

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_1_.JPG

Followed by a SWEET SSS shift knob

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_6_.JPG

And my favorite steering wheel (from my first ever 510)

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_7_.JPG

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_8_.JPG

And some front seats.  Looking good now!

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_9_.JPG

Next step, swap out the sun faded red/maroon door panels for black...

Right Rear

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_12_.JPG

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_14_.JPG

Right Front

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_13_.JPG

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_15_.JPG

Left Rear

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_18_.JPG

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_19_.JPG

Left Front

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_16_.JPG

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_17_.JPG

The doors all still look new inside! 

I use this tool to remove the Jesus clips and pop the door panel clips.  Works great!

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_20_.JPG

I dug out my stack of door panels and found a really nice set!  Unfortunately - I soon realized that the rear panels are for a 4dr - not a wagon.  I will see if I can find a set (anyone have a pair of black rear wagon door panels, and a black rear tailgate panel too?) - if not, I will paint what I have, they are in good shape except for the color.

I did find a nice suprise though, I found a set of black vinyl rear wheel well covers so I'll get those cleaned up and installed soon.

06292013_rice_wagon_interior_21_.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just got caught up.  Great work!  Thanks for all the tips/tid-bits and links throughout the thread.  It definitely helps to see those, even when just considering to do a VG build or not.... I just picked up a '91 Pathy for $200 and my wheels are spinning...  Do you think Dave's estimate of $3000-$4000 for the conversion could be done for less with the same level of perfection?

Sit down and make a list.

Try to be as complete as possible.

If the final total goes up over your budget, look at it again and see what you can put off 'till later.  Do you HAVE to lower it now?  Do you HAVE to get those new seats you wanted?  You get the idea.

Just don't skimp on safety.  You'r VG will get you to ridiculous speed way fastener than your L16, you'd better have brakes, suspension, tires etc in good working order so you can react appropriately.

I haven't had an update for a while because I haven't worked on the wagon for a while :crying:

rice_wagon_12142013.JPG

What freetime I've had has been spent working on Victoria's truck 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57139-bruiser-78-620-kc-project/

and making a mess in the garage...

But I should have time over Christmas break to get the garage cleaned back up and start working on Rice Wagon again.  I really want to get this thing on the road!

--carter

• Like 1

Carter,

I'd like some details on the rear end.  I have the same out of a 84-85 RX7 GSL Se to put into my VG30 Wagon.  I've cut the brackets off and getting read to narrow it, but would like to ask some questions on how you did yours.

1. How much did you narrow yours? 
  2. Looks like the RX 7 brakes set up to use the stock Datsun emergency brake parts.  Very cool.  Didi you have to do anything other than modify the connecting rods?
  3. What pinion angle did you use?

Any comments would be great.  Very nice looking rear end.